Travis

Re: Sarah
BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 30 Jun, 2008 11:10 PM Quote
joemono wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:
deserves to be the penultimate track on the 7th album

What kind of song do you think could follow Sarah as the closing track for album 7?

By the way, I love that we're already talking about album 7. :P Travis fans are never satisfied.

I don't know i just think it's a great track to have near the end of an album but it doesn't quite feel like an album closer. That's all i really meant by it. :)

It was actually Fran who mentioned album 7 first. ;) Here: http://www.travisonline.com/board/view.php?t=7244#125757 Hope the link works!

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 1:08 AM Quote
Gonna be honest here - I don't really like Get Up. It's probably one of the most boring things they've ever released. Sorry.

But Sarah.....it's probably the purest, most beautiful song Fran's written since I dunno, Driftwood? More Than Us? There aren't many songs that I'd say are perfection from the intro to the final note, anmd I don't wanna go OTT here, but this is close. The lyrics too, they're brilliant.

I love it so much. It's the first song that's really, really blown me away on first listen for years. And not in a 'mmm, quite like this' way, in a 'WOAH' way!

If it's 'only' a b-side and never gets a release aside from this, it's a total travisty! It should really be on the album, it's probably even distinctive enough to be a single.

And....I'll stop now. Really am going OTT now:D

bogusblue
bogusblue Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 1:21 AM Quote
I agree! This song is soo beautiful, I love the piano (Claes is a genius!) and Fran's voice, and also the lyrics are brilliant, sad but brilliant. It's a great song, it definitely has become one of my favorites of all times :o). When I listened for the first time I was about to cry, Sarah totally got me by the heart :o).

And I just can't stop listening to it. I'm in luv with this song!

I concur, this amazing song should be a track in an album :o).

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 2:07 AM Quote
I can't stop listening to it. I gotta say I'm so in love with Sarah and J. Smith. Each little thing in those songs is just in the right place. Master pieces!
I'm not so sure about Get Up though. But that goes on the other thread :oP

And I forgot to say, Sarah is very BenFolds-esque!

Meridith
Meridith Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 4:23 AM Quote
wow...what can I say other that I'm in love with this one. So beautiful. wow.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 4:28 AM Quote
Esteban wrote:
Fuck. If I could bottle and sell how the bit from 2.34 from 2.53 makes me feel, I'd be able to retire next weekend.

Severe lump in the throat, this song's got me by the heart.

Solid gold kudos to Claes on this one. This is HIS coming of age in the band, the words are awesome and all but his piano is just.....I don't have the words.

Goosebumps the size of mountains.

Claes, you are the man. Take a bow.

This was a perfect post. I agree with you 100%, Es!

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 4:39 AM Quote
I know its already been labeled as a B-Side, but why not make "Sarah" a hidden track on "Ode to J. Smith"?? I think Fran might have said there won't be any hidden tracks on the new album, if I remember correctly, but this was before "Sarah" came out and we all fell in love with it! I'm not going to go as far as Ben and say it should be on album 7, because that's a year from now and we've all heard "Sarah" and will want new songs by next year, but I think making it a hidden track makes sense in the same way "Some Sad Song" worked on "12 Memories."

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 4:51 AM Quote
Really can't sleep. Argh! In good time to reply though Nikki. LOL

I'd hate that. You know I hate hidden tracks. That would be terrible. Before You Were Young is the perfect way to finish the album. For a minute of silence only to have another song start. It is stupid. And what if i want to listen to just Sarah on its own? Argh! Hate hidden tracks. LOL

And in one years time, we will be getting new songs. At least 9 other new album tracks and 5 or 6 new b sides. You won't be bored of Sarah by then. It'll still be gorgeous. I'd still love it and in 5, 10 years time when I stick album 7 on, it'll be there and sound beautiful. :)

Ps. Hate hidden tracks! LOL

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 4:59 AM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:

You don't say! :oP

I'm with Nikki on this one!
And I love hidden tracks :oP

cartoonmatrix
cartoonmatrix Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 5:08 AM Quote
Nikki wrote:
Esteban wrote:
Fuck. If I could bottle and sell how the bit from 2.34 from 2.53 makes me feel, I'd be able to retire next weekend.

Severe lump in the throat, this song's got me by the heart.

Solid gold kudos to Claes on this one. This is HIS coming of age in the band, the words are awesome and all but his piano is just.....I don't have the words.

Goosebumps the size of mountains.

Claes, you are the man. Take a bow.

This was a perfect post. I agree with you 100%, Es!

I agree. Great post, though it has to be the chorus that needs to be bottled and sold. The chord progression is relentlessly beautiful aching sadness. I can't stop listening, it has captured me in that twirling piano sound, spinning much the same as too much gin might.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 5:10 AM Quote
Why? What's so good about them?

1 - Its not a surprise when you can see the track is 9 minutes long. Or even put them on tracklistings like they were on The Boy.
2 - Even if it is a surprise, its only a surprise once. You don't 2 weeks later go, 'oh my god, I thought it was over.'
3 - It totally ruins the flow of the album by it finishing then starting again. Normally into a song which could quite easily have been track 6.
4 - When you want to hear it on its own, you've got to skip the song before it. On an iPod its ok, still stupid, but on the cd, can take ages!

There's a load of reasons why I hate hidden tracks. They're ridiculous and stupid and ruin the end of an album.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 5:17 AM Quote
Genuinely don't understand why you'd want Sarah 'hidden' away on Ode To J Smith than have its own rightful place amongst plenty of other great timeless classics on album 7.

But there we go. :)

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 5:22 AM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:

You don't say! :oP

I'm with Nikki on this one!
And I love hidden tracks :oP

Why thank you, lady. ;)
Yo Ben...just because you don't agree doesn't make it stupid!! Because there is that long pause it's obvious that one set of music has ended and now you are going to hear something different and completely on it's own. That's why it's called a hidden track, my friend. What is the big deal about going to the last track and hitting the fast forward button for a few seconds?? Oh, and you now have "Sarah" in digital form too if you're to lazy to do that. :P

PS: I <3 Hidden Tracks! Hidden Tracks = more music for Nikki.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 5:26 AM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
Genuinely don't understand why you'd want Sarah 'hidden' away on Ode To J Smith than have its own rightful place amongst plenty of other great timeless classics on album 7.

But there we go. :)

Becaaaause...we don't even know what that album is going to sound like yet. How do you know "Sarah" will fit in? It's still too far away. We all know "Sarah" already. It would just be taking the spot of another NEW song.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Tue 01 Jul, 2008 5:41 AM Quote
5 - Its pointless.

I say its stupid because in my opinion it is stupid. Sure it is easy to press the skip button for a few seconds. But that doesn't make it worthwhile. And you're not getting 'more' music. It's still there, as its own track. You're just getting a long stream of silence. I'd turn the stereo off if I wanted that. ;)

And Sarah wouldn't be taking the place of any new song. Do you think they'll fill 80 minutes of space on album 7? If you seriously do, I'll back down. But somehow I think they'll be less than 20 songs on it. Again, its not replacing any new song. They'll make an album and Dougie will say. 'Great. We've made an album. A great album. A great, 11 song album.' Fran will look up and say 'you're right Dougie. A great album. But a great... 12 song album.' ;)

Like my story? :)

Pages Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Times BST Current Time 6:24 AM