Travis

Do you reckon....
rebekah
rebekah Posted Thu 19 Jun, 2008 6:13 PM Quote
...There will be this much publicity and hype about Ode To J.Smith than there is at the moment with Coldplay's Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends?

hope soo

:)

Re: Do you reckon....
Monica
Monica Posted Thu 19 Jun, 2008 6:19 PM Quote
Me too! :)

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Thu 19 Jun, 2008 6:55 PM Quote
No way.

Would I like it? Yes.

Is it going to happen? No.

They're going to have to work hard and really push it. It could be a great success because the songs are brilliant. Song To Self needs to be the lead single, they need to advertise it.

Album sales might not matter to the band at all. They might not really care. If that's the case, fine. But if they do want sales success, they need to promote it heavily. 1000% harder than they did for The Boy. :)

81 Posted Thu 19 Jun, 2008 10:26 PM Quote
I hope, but I don't believe!!!

Tonie
Tonie Posted Thu 19 Jun, 2008 10:53 PM Quote
Nope. And I'm sure you don't really think that either. Do you?

It's hardly likely, given the scale of the PR machine behind Coldplay, versus the fact that Travis are releasing this without a record label.

I'll be interested to see just how much publicity the new Travis album gets. We Travis fans, particularly those on the forum, are a minute percentage of the record buying public at large, so we hardly represent how much of the Travis message is getting out there.

I say Good Luck! I'll read every review, interview etc & of course I'll buy it the day it's released. I just hope that for every one of me there's a vast number of non forum members who'll do the same, and then buy the album :)

MariaMak
MariaMak Posted Fri 20 Jun, 2008 2:12 AM Quote
I doubt it'll be as big as coldplay which kills me to say.
They need alot more marketing.
I just got my PR degree this week, i'd be happy to work for the lads for free and promote travis as a whole :D

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Fri 20 Jun, 2008 2:25 AM Quote
MariaMak wrote:
I doubt it'll be as big as coldplay which kills me to say.
They need alot more marketing.
I just got my PR degree this week, i'd be happy to work for the lads for free and promote travis as a whole :D

Haha. Like I've said here on the board, they need to get the basics right which they didn't with The Boy With No Name which is a stunning album. Listened to it today, or yesterday now I suppose LOL, all the way through. Easily as good as anything they've done before. :) Should have sold more if the business side had been better.

TheInvisibleBoy
TheInvisibleBoy Posted Fri 20 Jun, 2008 4:29 AM Quote
I'd love it to, as much as I like Coldplay I like Travis 1000000 times more and then some lol, but in my honest opinion I don't think it will. It would be great if Travis got as much publicity as Coldplay now when Ode To J.Smith comes out though.

jesusaremus
jesusaremus Posted Fri 20 Jun, 2008 6:54 AM Quote
I'd like to, but as you say it, i don't think is gonna be this way, but i think they can handle it in another way, i mean, making excelents and maybe creative videos, and if they manage to make that music videos to be played there more than usual. I think would be a great step.
Viva la vida is even on the soup!, even on the Guitar Hero, you now can play Violet Hill.
But i have to confess, i'd like to see some track of Ode to J smith on Rockband to play it XD, there even some band put they're whole albums.

TK23
TK23 Posted Fri 20 Jun, 2008 8:43 AM Quote
Call me crazy, but I really hope not! Honestly, all of this Viva la Vida marketing is kind of annoying. I think if I saw Travis/Ode to J Smith balloon into some huge, mass-marketed thing I would be a bit bummed. I think that the amount of marketing done for TBWNN was plenty, and anything more just wouldn't suit who I see Travis as. Hmm, does that make any sense?

heich
heich Posted Fri 20 Jun, 2008 9:21 AM Quote
i think it wont happen, and to be honest i prefer it that way

what worries me a lot is the release date, they must be aware of the new Oasis album release date cus it will surely get a LOT of attention

i mean, apparently both albums are coming out on september. Oasis and Travis share a lot of fans but if we refer to mass media and marketing Oasis is a step forward, and also they just signed again with Sony so there will have a huge support as well.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Fri 20 Jun, 2008 9:58 AM Quote
TK23 wrote:
Call me crazy, but I really hope not! Honestly, all of this Viva la Vida marketing is kind of annoying. I think if I saw Travis/Ode to J Smith balloon into some huge, mass-marketed thing I would be a bit bummed. I think that the amount of marketing done for TBWNN was plenty, and anything more just wouldn't suit who I see Travis as. Hmm, does that make any sense?

Crazy! LOL :)

I understand what you mean but marketing done for The Boy was not plenty. Sold about 30x less than The Man Who here. If Travis don't promote themselves, they'll fall away.

Ursina
Ursina Posted Fri 20 Jun, 2008 12:45 PM Quote
whatever I'm not bothered as long as they keep producing amazing music and I can get the album, get a chance to see them live as much as possible and keep up to date here on da board :)

champagnesupernova
champagnesupernova Posted Fri 20 Jun, 2008 1:58 PM Quote
I fairly think no. Bands like Coldplay - Radiohead -not judging their music here at all - have always been big on media. Even months before they release something new, it leads unending debates, article showerings, posts. etc. all around related media. Travis on the other hand have always been more down to earth even during their most shiny-popular era back in early 2000s. Like Tonie says, with the new recording company situation it seems even harder to make a comprehensive publicity for the band. Having this said, we all know how word of marketing can be ultimately effective in some cases. So I suppose, us fans have some duty to achieve by spreading the word if we really want to see Travis wider and bigger on the scene. And I believe this new world tour would be very helpful in due subject as they are visiting places they never been before which means new people - new fans - new addicts.
Personally though - I know this won't make the band happy if they hear what I am saying - I am happy with Travis not being kinda hyped band dragging millions and millions of people to debate on each breath they take. It feels lot more special to me. If only some music journalists, media members could give up eventually having insular prejudices about Travis and be fair to them.

Tonie
Tonie Posted Fri 20 Jun, 2008 2:39 PM Quote
Nicely said CSN. It's a question of striking a balance. (oh, and thank you for being the only person not to ignore my comments!!!)

On the one hand we, the fans, want to keep Travis exclusive to some degree. However, the music journos do have some real axes to grind about the band. I don't get it myself. What have Travis done to deserve this?

Why cannot awareness be raised that is unbiased, or, dare I say it, positive? It didn't happen too often for TBWNN. Nowhere near enough positive publicity. And consequently, it wasn't a massive hit, like it perhaps had the potential to be. And surely the purpose of PR is to maximise potential???

It does worry me slightly, as mentioned earlier, that Travis risk falling off the publicity radar entirely if the next release is done low key. That would be a tragedy!

The original question of the thread was 100% ridiculous. However, speculating on marketing and publicity for Travis as a theme is quite an interesting one.

Pages [1] 2 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 4:14 PM