Travis

Recommended Reading?
Jimmy_Jimmy
Jimmy_Jimmy Posted Tue 05 Jun, 2007 2:56 PM Quote
Can anybody recommend anything good or interesting to read?

I haven't read anything apart from uni stuff for ages.

On a whim I started reading Dan Browns Angels & Demons last night which I started reading about a year ago but didnt finish. It wasn't bad and it has quite easy to pick up after such a long time. Is there anything anybody would recommend as a good read?

The few good books I've read in the last year or so were 1984 and Philip Pullmans Dark Materials.

Can anybody recommend anything similar to these which might be any good? HP comes out in a month or so but until then?

Re: Recommended Reading?
Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 05 Jun, 2007 3:05 PM Quote

Fiction or Non Fiction??

The Men Who Stare at Goats - Jon Ronson is really interesting about The US experimenting with psycho warfare, It gets the name in the title because on a base in the states there is a room full soldiers trying to kill goats by staring at them. But it does go on to deal with subliminal messaging, sleep deprivation etc.

Ficion... anything by Christopher Brookmyre or Carl Hiaasen both extremely good satarists who mix detective stories with a passion for the unfortuneate. Or any of the Rebus books by John Rankin if you fancy something a bit more serious

Natasa
Natasa Posted Tue 05 Jun, 2007 3:08 PM Quote
Dan Brown's are good and adventurous,my fav of his novels is 'Angels and Deamons'.

Jimmy_Jimmy
Jimmy_Jimmy Posted Tue 05 Jun, 2007 3:14 PM Quote
Quote:
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 05 Jun, 2007 3:05 PM

Fiction or Non Fiction??

I don't really mind. My favourite books usually are autobiographies but i'm not really in the mood to read one at the moment.

The Men Who Stare at Goats sounds Intriguing though. I might have to give that a go.

Quote:
Natasa Posted Tue 05 Jun, 2007 3:08 PM

Dan Brown's are good and adventurous,my fav of his novels is 'Angels and Deamons'.

Cool. I'll try and finish it this time. I read the Da Vinci Code which was really good and interesting.

Darran
Darran Posted Tue 05 Jun, 2007 3:38 PM Quote
I still have The Shadow Of The Wind waiting to be read.

Sunny
Sunny Posted Tue 05 Jun, 2007 3:40 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Or any of the Rebus books by John Rankin if you fancy something a bit more serious

Don't ya mean Ian Rankin? :)

paul_c
paul_c Posted Tue 05 Jun, 2007 4:12 PM Quote
Darran wrote:

Where have you been hiding? Not seen ye in ages!

paul_c
paul_c Posted Tue 05 Jun, 2007 4:13 PM Quote
Out of the Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis one of the few books ever to really grab me. I'm not a big reader, but i couldn't put this one down. I missed 2 buses once cos i was so engrossed in it!

Darran
Darran Posted Tue 05 Jun, 2007 4:26 PM Quote
paul_c wrote:
Darran wrote:

Where have you been hiding? Not seen ye in ages!

Flight to Southampton last Monday
then a day on the tourbus to
Liverpool on Tuesday
then the overnight boat to Belfast

Last week was mental

feri
feri Posted Tue 05 Jun, 2007 4:41 PM Quote
Animal Farm? It's by George Orwell as well..I'm reading 1984 right now actually! I haven't read Animal Farm, but I've heard great things about it, and it's by the same author.

Peewee
Peewee Posted Tue 05 Jun, 2007 4:56 PM Quote
Darran wrote:

SO couldn't get into that book :-/

Darran
Darran Posted Tue 05 Jun, 2007 4:59 PM Quote
Hmmm.

Thankfully It is big enough to hit people enough with if I don't enjoy it.

happy_me
happy_me Posted Tue 05 Jun, 2007 9:51 PM Quote
Uhm, recently I've been addicted to Haruki Murakami and his book Kafka on the Shore is awesome, currently reading The Elephant Vanishes and it seems like a good book as well.

adri_travis
adri_travis Posted Tue 05 Jun, 2007 10:05 PM Quote
I just read a realy goodbut cruel book called ask alice... y was almost crying of horror by the end of it, of course is not a horror story... it's more like real life story...

Davie_G
Davie_G Posted Tue 05 Jun, 2007 10:08 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Fiction... anything by Christopher Brookmyre or Carl Hiaasen both extremely good satarists who mix detective stories with a passion for the unfortuneate. Or any of the Rebus books by John Rankin if you fancy something a bit more serious

John Rankin? Doesn't he ponce about the midfield for Caley Thistle? Brookmyre's a great shout (but stay away from Boiling a Frog!).

Is Hiassen any good? I've been told to check him out along with Stuart MacBride.

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 12:34 AM