Travis

Re: Oi Fran! (or The Questions For Fran thread...)
Esteban
Esteban Posted Sat 31 May, 2008 12:49 PM Quote
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:
Esteban wrote:
Suggesting I get out more is pretty pathetic really, and turns the discussion personal where it has no need to be, I can sit here and trade insults and life tips if you want, but I'm above that and so, I think, are you.

It was a joke, OK? Sorry if I offended you at all, but I was more getting at how pathetic I sounded talking about myself having 'power' :)

I don't agree with you on everything, but I can see your points and we'll let the thread die.

It would have worked better if there hadn't been this discussion, but I'm pretty sure I started it, so no blame there

Ok, no hard feelings, put it down to just the good old internet and its inexorable proficiency in stripping people's posts of all tone and intention.

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sat 31 May, 2008 2:41 PM Quote
Yeah, maybe a webcam board will be the next step :)

Esteban
Esteban Posted Sat 31 May, 2008 2:51 PM Quote
Endless Youtube videos to sift through, I couldn't read the board when I'm in bed then without waking Mrs Esteban up.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sat 31 May, 2008 3:09 PM Quote
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:
Yeah, maybe a webcam board will be the next step :)

Nah. Everyone is so ugly!!! Haha. Only joking you beautiful people. :)

Sky-Blue Puppy
Sky-Blue Puppy Posted Sat 31 May, 2008 5:29 PM Quote
Esteban wrote:
put it down to just the good old internet and its inexorable proficiency in stripping people's posts of all tone and intention.

Smileys.
We need smileys. And lots of them.
That's one thing i really miss from the old board :(

Sky-Blue Puppy
Sky-Blue Puppy Posted Sun 01 Jun, 2008 9:17 AM Quote
I've been thinking of this thread since last night and i believe The Boy With A Cryptic Name (sorry, don't know your real name :( ) made a really good point with starting this thread. You shouldn't have given up so easily! :)

While i can't really speak for Fran, i still believe it would be easier both for him and for us if questions adressed to him were kept in one thread. It would be a lot easier to go through many pages of one thread than to go through many threads on many pages on this the board. You know what i mean? This way it would be clear what has been asked and what has been answered, and the same questions won't keep popping up all the time.

Esteban, you were worried how Fran should priorities which questions to answer and which not. Well, he doesn't seem to have had any problems with that before, has he? :) How many have there been these 'FAO Fran' threads, and how many red posts have appeared in them? Exactly ;)
And nobody has been (or at least they shouldn't have been) offended if their question or comment hasn't received a reply straight from Fran. While a red post reply in your thread is flattering and exciting, most of us here realise that neither Fran nor the other lads have the time to give their attention to each and every one of us separately.

Continuing now on similar subject: I find it really irritating at times that this place has become so messy with a gazillion of separate threads on the same subject. It's hard to keep up with what has been said, asked and answered when and by whom if they're scattered all over the place. Why is it so difficult for so many people to use the search function is beyond me. Why would people insist on starting a new thread instead of adding their post to an already existing one is beyond me (eg the recent J.Smith case, eg the current festival news, etc). Afraid it won't get the needed attention? Well, if an old thread floats to top it still will be read by others, won't it? Wouldn't it be easier (and neater) to keep things of the same subject in one thread - you'd get to read the history and to add your own stuff. Simple, isn't it?

I've been wanting to raise this issue for some time now, but was afraid i'll come over as some grumpy old lady who's complaining all the time... Am i really? Any other such old ladies/gents out there? :)

Evelyn

PS! Sorry, The Boy With A Cryptic Name, i think you'll have to start the 'Questions for Fran' thread anew, because this thread is drifting off the subject now :S

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Sun 01 Jun, 2008 11:59 AM Quote
I'm not answering for Fran here but I do think he is probably too busy for answering questions and he wont want to start as there would be no end to the questions that could be asked and answered . He would also be conscious that it would also be unfair to answer some and not others. As Fran comes here regularly and posts fairly regularly I think we should be happy with that .He may answer a question here and there but I think the pressure is best off guys. If I saw a huge thread of questions, in his place, I would take a holiday!

the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sun 01 Jun, 2008 12:02 PM Quote
Sky-Blue Puppy wrote:
I've been thinking of this thread since last night and i believe The Boy With A Cryptic Name (sorry, don't know your real name :( ) made a really good point with starting this thread. You shouldn't have given up so easily! :)

While i can't really speak for Fran, i still believe it would be easier both for him and for us if questions adressed to him were kept in one thread. It would be a lot easier to go through many pages of one thread than to go through many threads on many pages on this the board. You know what i mean? This way it would be clear what has been asked and what has been answered, and the same questions won't keep popping up all the time.

Esteban, you were worried how Fran should priorities which questions to answer and which not. Well, he doesn't seem to have had any problems with that before, has he? :) How many have there been these 'FAO Fran' threads, and how many red posts have appeared in them? Exactly ;)
And nobody has been (or at least they shouldn't have been) offended if their question or comment hasn't received a reply straight from Fran. While a red post reply in your thread is flattering and exciting, most of us here realise that neither Fran nor the other lads have the time to give their attention to each and every one of us separately.

Continuing now on similar subject: I find it really irritating at times that this place has become so messy with a gazillion of separate threads on the same subject. It's hard to keep up with what has been said, asked and answered when and by whom if they're scattered all over the place. Why is it so difficult for so many people to use the search function is beyond me. Why would people insist on starting a new thread instead of adding their post to an already existing one is beyond me (eg the recent J.Smith case, eg the current festival news, etc). Afraid it won't get the needed attention? Well, if an old thread floats to top it still will be read by others, won't it? Wouldn't it be easier (and neater) to keep things of the same subject in one thread - you'd get to read the history and to add your own stuff. Simple, isn't it?

I've been wanting to raise this issue for some time now, but was afraid i'll come over as some grumpy old lady who's complaining all the time... Am i really? Any other such old ladies/gents out there? :)

Evelyn

PS! Sorry, The Boy With A Cryptic Name, i think you'll have to start the 'Questions for Fran' thread anew, because this thread is drifting off the subject now :S

Hi Evelyn, thanks for the support! My name's James btw :)

This board is hideously messy and disorganised, but I wouldn't change that, it's just what we know and love. It wouldn't be the same if everyone was sensible about where to post stuff! :)

I'm not going to start a new Qs for Fran thread at the moment, because of the 'once bitten twice shy' proverb, which is probably right. We'll leave it as it is for now, but if more people think it's a good idea I might try again. Let's wait until Ben and Esteban are away from their computer for a while though ;) (don't worry, I'm still only joking, if you're wondering about my intonation) :)

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 01 Jun, 2008 12:54 PM Quote
I think we already explained our thoughts on quite a few of those points regarding this idea.

It might be easier for Fran to answer questions but just accept that he's answered questions in the past out of kindness, don't expect he'll answer everything. He doesn't actually reply to many of people's questions (although some people don't actually make it clear in the title that they're asking him a question), but then it can be seen that he has just not seen a question. If they were all in a single thing, he would read every question and would have to pick and choose. Certainly when I've asked him something in the past, I've not expected a response, if I was to ask along with everyone else, I would. I imagine it would be the same for 90% of others.

Look, start it again if you really want to. I was just thinking it was kind of unfair to expect Fran to answer dozens of questions. That's all. :)

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Sun 01 Jun, 2008 3:16 PM Quote
I find it funny how this has all become so political somehow. :P

Fran posts when he feels like it, as we all do. Not sure if throwing a load of questions in his face is going to work. But I guess it's worth a try all the same.

Not sure it's quite worth this fuss... he either replies or he doesn't and that's that... but at least it shows we're passionate. http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x66/Jearoon2/Smilies/4-Wink.gif

Sky-Blue Puppy
Sky-Blue Puppy Posted Sun 01 Jun, 2008 3:58 PM Quote
Where did you people get the idea that we're suddenly demanding or expecting Fran to answer everything?! Not the case at all! It was just a proposal to keep all questions in one thread. Not a dozen questions a day, but question by question as they are asked in time. Right?

Oh well, it was a nice idea, James! Guess it just wasn't meant to grow into anything....yet :)

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 01 Jun, 2008 4:17 PM Quote
I said start it again didn't I!? So start it again! Make sure whoever starts it puts in the first post 'no conversation please, just write down your question.' That way it is easier for Fran. Also say 'Fran can't answer every single one.'

So do it again! I was only giving my opinion on it. Start again and make sure only questions are asked.

Esteban
Esteban Posted Sun 01 Jun, 2008 4:23 PM Quote
Sky-Blue Puppy wrote:
Where did you people get the idea that we're suddenly demanding or expecting Fran to answer everything?! Not the case at all! It was just a proposal to keep all questions in one thread. Not a dozen questions a day, but question by question as they are asked in time. Right?

Oh well, it was a nice idea, James! Guess it just wasn't meant to grow into anything....yet :)

If you're going to be that fucking precious over it then start the thread yourself. Otherwise, let it go...

the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sun 01 Jun, 2008 4:40 PM Quote
Typing to Reach You wrote:
I find it funny how this has all become so political somehow. :P

Lol, yeah, what have I done?!

I'm confused. Should I start it again or not. I can see why it would be daunting for Fran to have loads of questions and it does seem a bit like interrogation. If anyone else wants to start it, go ahead because then you can be the guinea-pig/scapegoat ;)

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 01 Jun, 2008 4:50 PM Quote
Up to you. Like I said if you do, make sure people just type their question otherwise Fran will have to move his way through it all to find their question. Type the question(s), move on. Ok? And tell Fran we don't expect him to answer all of them. :)

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 10:13 AM