Travis

Re: USA Elections
th74
th74 Posted Fri 29 Aug, 2008 12:01 AM Quote
Nikki wrote:
ricv64 wrote:
this your first election Nikki ?

Nope. This will be my second.

I just realized this will be my fifth! My 18th birthday was on election day, so I will have been able to vote 5 times and I'm really not that old. Thought I'd share.

nesmap
nesmap Posted Fri 29 Aug, 2008 1:00 AM Quote
When are the elections?

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Fri 29 Aug, 2008 1:05 AM Quote
th74 wrote:
Nikki wrote:
ricv64 wrote:

I just realized this will be my fifth! My 18th birthday was on election day, so I will have been able to vote 5 times and I'm really not that old. Thought I'd share.

I haven't missed one ever . even when I was stationed overseas

th74
th74 Posted Fri 29 Aug, 2008 2:30 AM Quote
ricv64 wrote:
th74 wrote:
Nikki wrote:
ricv64 wrote:

I haven't missed one ever . even when I was stationed overseas

I think that's great. I hate it when people complain about the state of things but they don't vote. It's the easiest thing you can do to try and change something.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Fri 29 Aug, 2008 2:40 AM Quote
nesmap wrote:
When are the elections?

Tuesday, November 4.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Fri 29 Aug, 2008 2:55 AM Quote
Go Obama!
I don't think the difference between republicans and democrats is that big, to be honest. But anyway, if I have to chose, democrats all the way.

Nikki wrote:
Don't you guys find it interesting that nearly all of us are democrats and/or independents? (I'm not saying all of us, Ok...don't get on my case). Maybe Travis fans for the most part are liberal-minded individuals? Interesting how ones taste in music connects to their political views.

It's interesting. The same thing happens with Argentinian boardies. Many of us are "lefties" (I don't say liberal because it has a different connotation here), and tend to agree on political issues. It's very weird :oP.

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Fri 29 Aug, 2008 3:09 AM Quote
Ugh... people need to stop seeing things by Democrat / Republican. The Republican party is so unrecognizable from when it was 200 years ago, and a large number of Southern Democrats were segregationists. I find it hard to believe that someone agrees with every single stance that their supposed party takes.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Fri 29 Aug, 2008 4:06 AM Quote
Wow! Obama's speech kicked serious ass! Right on! He's a great speaker. I was captivated. I'm really excited now!! What did y'all think?

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Fri 29 Aug, 2008 4:10 AM Quote
Nikki wrote:
Wow! Obama's speech kicked serious ass! Right on! He's a great speaker. I was captivated. I'm really excited now!! What did y'all think?

I thought that it was so amazing.

What would have made it even better was if they chose a different song to play at the end of his speech instead of the one they did. Maybe Arcade Fire's "Wake Up," (Obama supporters! And they're canadian! Well all for but two...) I digress, awesome speech.

lindsey22295
lindsey22295 Posted Fri 29 Aug, 2008 4:27 AM Quote
Nikki wrote:

I concur! He is an amazing speaker. I am very excited and I have high hopes!

minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 29 Aug, 2008 5:10 AM Quote
ElspethOllie wrote:
Nikki wrote:

I thought that it was so amazing.

What would have made it even better was if they chose a different song to play at the end of his speech instead of the one they did. Maybe Arcade Fire's "Wake Up," (Obama supporters! And they're canadian! Well all for but two...) I digress, awesome speech.

how about just a big picture of Ryan Gosling to end it? he he.

To stick with the Arcade Fire theme, Rebellion would have been a great song for Bush. You know, "lies, lies"

Nikki
Nikki Posted Fri 29 Aug, 2008 5:36 AM Quote

Oh! I agree completely on the song they played at the end! I turned to my mom and said "WTF is this country shit?" LOL! But yeah...that was amazing. I got chills when he started talking about "45 years ago today.." So awesome! That was history in the making right there! Oh, and I think my favorite line was when he was talking about the failed republican policy, basically saying if you're having hard times then tough luck...fend for yourself. He said "they tell you to pull yourself up by your bootstraps, even if you don't have boots" or something like that. I loved that! He's so right! Finally! After 8 years of this crap, we could actually have a president that's smart, a true leader, a motivator and someone we can all look up to...someone who will be respected abroad! Sorry...I'm fired up, lol!

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Fri 29 Aug, 2008 2:54 PM Quote
ElspethOllie wrote:
Ugh... people need to stop seeing things by Democrat / Republican. The Republican party is so unrecognizable from when it was 200 years ago, and a large number of Southern Democrats were segregationists. I find it hard to believe that someone agrees with every single stance that their supposed party takes.

Like it or not it's what we got . Third party attempts are within their right and I wish it could happen but voting independent has siphoned off votes and generaly fucked things up . I voted indie my first election and saw a darkness unleashed upon the land . I'm a democrat but in terms of local and on ballet measures I vote for what i feel is right. Presidental , I don't fuck around anymore

mozman68
mozman68 Posted Fri 29 Aug, 2008 3:09 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:

Michael Douglas gave a great speech in "The American President"...same goes for Kevin Kline in "Dave"...doesn't mean I would vote for either of them as President.

I always wait until October to decide...that way everyone has ripped through their plans and the debates are in full swing...no point getting all worked up before then (just ask John Edwards supporters....hee hee).

nesmap
nesmap Posted Fri 29 Aug, 2008 11:29 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
nesmap wrote:
When are the elections?

Tuesday, November 4.

November? Fucking 'ell! Miles away. I thought it was like next week with all the things in the news...

Pages Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Times BST Current Time 3:40 PM