Travis

Re: USA Elections
lindsey22295
lindsey22295 Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 3:22 AM Quote
minnmess wrote:

Obama's grandmother died today. So sad. One day before the election.

That is so sad. Poor guy. I don't know how he is carrying on these last days.

mili
mili Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 7:21 AM Quote
I was sorry to hear about Obama's grandmother, too.

On a lighter note and campaign related, this is pretty funny:

http://slog.thestranger.com/2008/10/the_return_of_the_palin_dudes

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 1:34 PM Quote
They are interviewing a woman on the radio right now who went to Jennifer Hudson's 7 year old nephews funeral with a sign that said "God Hates Obama." AT A 7 YEAR OLD CHILD's FUNERAL!
My mind cannot comprehend how people can be so hateful.

edit: she just said that God went so far as to kill Obama's grandmother yesterday.

I want to cry this is so sad.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 2:01 PM Quote
I saw a fight between prop 8 , gay wedding in Calif , opponents yesterday .

I hope those in Cali vote yes on prop 12 , don't forget the Vets

minnesotamary
minnesotamary Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 2:33 PM Quote
i voted...now if only they sold Ode to J. Smith at the polling place, i could have knocked two birds with one stone.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 2:39 PM Quote
ricv64 wrote:

what is prop 12 about? Well, Vets obviously. But specifically?

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 3:05 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
They are interviewing a woman on the radio right now who went to Jennifer Hudson's 7 year old nephews funeral with a sign that said "God Hates Obama." AT A 7 YEAR OLD CHILD's FUNERAL!
My mind cannot comprehend how people can be so hateful.

edit: she just said that God went so far as to kill Obama's grandmother yesterday.

I want to cry this is so sad.

I am making an educated guess that this is the God Hates Fags "church." I hate even calling them that because they are so viciously evil that I believe they should be categorized as a hate group.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 3:07 PM Quote
I didnt hear the begining so I dont know what "church" she is from. All i know is that she is a hateful woman who used the name of God to defend and justify her horrible acts.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 3:32 PM Quote
The Electoral College: Outdated and should be replaced by popular vote, or still cool?

Discuss.

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 3:48 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
The Electoral College: Outdated and should be replaced by popular vote, or still cool?

Discuss.

Okay, the way I understand it, I think it is outdated and needs to be replaced by the popular vote. They keep saying, "oh every vote counts...blah, blah" but with the Electoral College, that's not really true is it? Or am I understanding it wrong? I think I have it pretty clear though.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 3:53 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
ricv64 wrote:

what is prop 12 about? Well, Vets obviously. But specifically?

bond issue for veterans , like me . I was number 10 in my polling place !

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 3:55 PM Quote
SamuraiSandy wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Discuss.

Okay, the way I understand it, I think it is outdated and needs to be replaced by the popular vote. They keep saying, "oh every vote counts...blah, blah" but with the Electoral College, that's not really true is it? Or am I understanding it wrong? I think I have it pretty clear though.

I think the electoral college is stupid. I always have. Even in school I would say I thought it didn't make sense and the teachers were always trying to convince me it was a good system. Uh, no. The person with the most votes throughout the whole country should win. Period.

I read an article that said you have to think about it as a vast number of local elections adding up to one. I can see that point but I still don't agree.

And I think it definitely does weaken the "your vote counts" statement. Because I voted for Obama but since I live in Texas it won't count because McCain is going to win Texas; whereas if it was just going in a general popular vote count I'd feel more like it matters, whether or not my candidate of choice wins.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 3:57 PM Quote
SamuraiSandy wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Discuss.

It counts only on a state level. Whatever the majority vote is in that state, all of that state's electoral votes go to that candidate. That's the way I understand it.

I think the reason they did that was in the olden days, it was just easier to count the votes. Now that we have computers and stuff I don't see the need to keep the Electoral College system. (Of course, even with computers voting still manages to get screwed up.) The popular vote seems to be the fairer way of doing things.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 4:00 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
SamuraiSandy wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Discuss.

I think the electoral college is stupid. I always have. Even in school I would say I thought it didn't make sense and the teachers were always trying to convince me it was a good system. Uh, no. The person with the most votes throughout the whole country should win. Period.

I read an article that said you have to think about it as a vast number of local elections adding up to one. I can see that point but I still don't agree.

And I think it definitely does weaken the "your vote counts" statement. Because I voted for Obama but since I live in Texas it won't count because McCain is going to win Texas; whereas if it was just going in a general popular vote count I'd feel more like it matters, whether or not my candidate of choice wins.

I completely agree. I was talking to Kristy about the Electoral College system last night in the chat and actually brought up your situation as an example of why we need to get rid of it, Anne.

We should go to popular vote so that EVERY vote truly does count!!!

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 04 Nov, 2008 4:06 PM Quote
The argument for keeping it is that it distributed the vote equally among states. The most heavily populated states have a higher number of electoral votes. But I still think it's crap and none of that should matter. If I live in an area with a bunch of idiots, why should their vote override mine? Nobody's vote should ever be "thrown out" like that. It's not fair! The Electoral College is crap and needs to go.

Pages Previous 1...17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 Next All Times BST Current Time 7:35 PM