Travis

Re: TRAVIS have got better
Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Fri 09 May, 2008 10:45 PM Quote
They've become more polished but I dunno......anything off 12 Memories or TBWNN with the real emotional punch of some of the stuff on The Man Who? I'd say probably not. TBWNN was such a beautifully crafted album, but long term I thought lacked that extra 'something'. 12 Memories was bold, ambitious, but short on truly classic songs. IMHO.

That said - from everything I've heard they're about to redress the balance.

ps I really never thought I'd say that about TBWNN when I first heard it. It didn't just seem good, it seemed perfect. Funny how a year or so changes things.

RaZzZ
RaZzZ Posted Fri 09 May, 2008 11:57 PM Quote
Typing to Reach You wrote:
I think Travis have become more 'polished', but I don't think they've necessarily become better. My favourite Travis material remains their early stuff. There's something sincere and atmospheric about the music on The Man Who that I feel is missing on TBWNN. Oh and I love the Good Feeling b-sides. http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x66/Jearoon2/Smilies/9-Grin2.gif

Perhaps they've become a better live band? I don't know myself 'cos my first gig was 12 Memories era.

The best band at live, i think...
Agree with you

GMS1968
GMS1968 Posted Sat 10 May, 2008 5:16 PM Quote
Mikko85 wrote:
They've become more polished but I dunno......anything off 12 Memories or TBWNN with the real emotional punch of some of the stuff on The Man Who? I'd say probably not. TBWNN was such a beautifully crafted album, but long term I thought lacked that extra 'something'. 12 Memories was bold, ambitious, but short on truly classic songs. IMHO.

That said - from everything I've heard they're about to redress the balance.

ps I really never thought I'd say that about TBWNN when I first heard it. It didn't just seem good, it seemed perfect. Funny how a year or so changes things.

Interesting views.
Emotions come in many different forms and whilst The Man Who, had quite deep emotional songs, i feel that TBWNN has more happy emotions. I do feel that once we hear more songs from TBWNN played live, that the real quality and brilliance of this Album will be realised in the years to come. I think, like a fine wine that gets better as it matures, so will The Boy With No Name.
I also feel that Travis wanted to drop that unfair "miserable" tag, which they gained from TMW and 12 memories.
Great views from everyone.
Come on, lets hear some more. ;-)

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sat 10 May, 2008 5:29 PM Quote
Mikko85 wrote:

That's interesting...

When I first heard TBWNN, it was awesome, like having the band sitting next to you retelling the past few years. But then I got a bit bored with it and it quickly became my least favourite album. Occasionally I've put it back on and it sounds good, but a bit flat.

But today it sounds amazing. I don't know why, but it suddenly sounds like they mean it. As you say, it sounds perfect! I always thought they sounded a bit lost, a bit perfunctory, but now I hear them being relaxed and ultimately just very happy. I can see myself playing it a lot over the summer to make up for ignoring it last year. :D

GMS1968
GMS1968 Posted Sat 10 May, 2008 5:45 PM Quote
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:
Mikko85 wrote:

That's interesting...

When I first heard TBWNN, it was awesome, like having the band sitting next to you retelling the past few years. But then I got a bit bored with it and it quickly became my least favourite album. Occasionally I've put it back on and it sounds good, but a bit flat.

But today it sounds amazing. I don't know why, but it suddenly sounds like they mean it. As you say, it sounds perfect! I always thought they sounded a bit lost, a bit perfunctory, but now I hear them being relaxed and ultimately just very happy. I can see myself playing it a lot over the summer to make up for ignoring it last year. :D

Exactly.... Its a feel good Album.... and a great summer Album, which is probably why it sounds so good right now.

gaby
gaby Posted Sat 10 May, 2008 7:31 PM Quote
forest wrote:
all the musicians become better as they acquire experience...

Travis is original... it`s not acquire by experience

I totally agree, Travis has that "something else" that does not depend estrictly on experience...

Pages Previous 1 [2] All Times BST Current Time 1:08 AM