Travis

Travis in Mexico
Rallyfoeraren
Rallyfoeraren Posted Sun 04 May, 2008 3:44 PM Quote
I recently saw a TV feature about the indie scene in Mexico City, which apparently is quite flourishing. Now, all these Mexican indie musicians complained about how the radio stations would just play standardized pop music. Since I've understood that Travis are quite big in Mexico, it got me wondering which part they play over there. Are they one of these boring pop bands that get played a lot on the radio, or are they one of the cool indie acts that you can only hear through MySpace?

Re: Travis in Mexico
beda
beda Posted Mon 05 May, 2008 6:13 AM Quote
hi! no unfortunately Travis is not playing a lot in the radio stations in México, at least where I live, well... when the invisble band came out the sing video was in the top ten in MTV so I guess that it was in that point when travis made a lot of fans here, because now is so rarely that we can hear something about them in Tv

Rallyfoeraren
Rallyfoeraren Posted Mon 05 May, 2008 8:02 PM Quote
Hmm... that sounds almost the same as here in Sweden. But isn't it still weird that Travis come to Mexico so often (maybe not that often, I don't know, but more often than they visit Sweden anyway) and that they play such marathon-sized gigs over there? There must be something special with that country of yours.

galletitabonita
galletitabonita Posted Mon 05 May, 2008 8:11 PM Quote
yeap, some radio stations play travis music only when they come to Mexico!

I think Travis is one of the cool indie acts... definitely!!! and i'm totally tired of these kind of boring pop bands on the radio.

Rallyfoeraren
Rallyfoeraren Posted Mon 05 May, 2008 8:17 PM Quote
galletitabonita wrote:

Wow, that sounds really cool! I would like to have a radio station like that.

RaZzZ
RaZzZ Posted Tue 06 May, 2008 12:50 AM Quote
galletitabonita wrote:

I think Travis is one of the cool indie acts... definitely!!! and i'm totally tired of these kind of boring pop bands on the radio.

Not at all...

I don`t know very well, but in Mexico city, at the mornings on 91.3, at least 2 times in the week i listen Travis. One time i listened Hazy Shades Of Gold on "Reactor"

galletitabonita
galletitabonita Posted Tue 06 May, 2008 6:14 AM Quote
Rallyfoeraren wrote:
galletitabonita wrote:

that's no cool =( it's upset because they forget Travis after the gigs and then
they still playing all that bored music, it bother me ^^

and yeap, I know Reactor usually plays some Travis songs, maybe, it's the only one...

jesusaremus
jesusaremus Posted Tue 06 May, 2008 7:03 AM Quote
but somehow it's great, 'cause they are not that popular band thar people say "i'm a fan" just for a song, i think mexican fans of travis are a very loyal fans, and to hear a travis song or see a video of them on tv is greater 'cause it's rare.

damon
damon Posted Tue 06 May, 2008 4:10 PM Quote
the fact that travis in mexico is "underground" a hit is because as the radio stations and tv are so corrupt,,, in mexico we call "payola" or "payolear", and is a world syndrome, big big record labels paying for their bands to be promoted in radio spaces, and in tv (at least OPEN TV), the kind of information and tv shows are made for people without lots of imagination,,, you know, the tv are spaces for sale, and in mexico people with money pays for those spaces to keep mexico in ignorance and poverty, i would never expect that public spaces became cultural or with lots of options to the culture, as always an opinion....

Rallyfoeraren
Rallyfoeraren Posted Tue 06 May, 2008 7:40 PM Quote
galletitabonita wrote:
Rallyfoeraren wrote:
galletitabonita wrote:

that's no cool =( it's upset because they forget Travis after the gigs and then
they still playing all that bored music, it bother me ^^

Ah, sorry. I made a bit of a mistunderstanding there...

erikausagi
erikausagi Posted Tue 06 May, 2008 10:26 PM Quote
Rallyfoeraren wrote:
I recently saw a TV feature about the indie scene in Mexico City, which apparently is quite flourishing. Now, all these Mexican indie musicians complained about how the radio stations would just play standardized pop music. Since I've understood that Travis are quite big in Mexico, it got me wondering which part they play over there. Are they one of these boring pop bands that get played a lot on the radio, or are they one of the cool indie acts that you can only hear through MySpace?

hi! well, it's surprising to know that in Sweden you heard at least a little about the music in Mexico!! Indie scene in Mexico, at least for me its separated in two- I guess like everywhere in the world-: the "commercial indie" and real indie indie lol. I really dont know which ones bands do you hear there, but at least Travis is know in Mexico, but is not soo famous like other bands, anyways there are people who knows and like them. And yep, Travis is in the radio more often before a concert, but there's 2 radiostations -3 really- that programme them anytime

RaZzZ
RaZzZ Posted Tue 06 May, 2008 11:54 PM Quote
damon wrote:
the fact that travis in mexico is "underground" a hit is because as the radio stations and tv are so corrupt,,, in mexico we call "payola" or "payolear", and is a world syndrome, big big record labels paying for their bands to be promoted in radio spaces, and in tv (at least OPEN TV), the kind of information and tv shows are made for people without lots of imagination,,, you know, the tv are spaces for sale, and in mexico people with money pays for those spaces to keep mexico in ignorance and poverty, i would never expect that public spaces became cultural or with lots of options to the culture, as always an opinion....

Definitely I agree with you...

galletitabonita
galletitabonita Posted Wed 07 May, 2008 12:59 AM Quote
jesusaremus wrote:
but somehow it's great, 'cause they are not that popular band thar people say "i'm a fan" just for a song, i think mexican fans of travis are a very loyal fans, and to hear a travis song or see a video of them on tv is greater 'cause it's rare.

I was thinking about this topic in the morning (i was bored at school xD)... and as you say, it's not so bad! because Travis is not a "commercial band" like many other bands that we hear day by day on the radio.

Rallyfoeraren wrote:

Ah, sorry. I made a bit of a mistunderstanding there...

Don't worry!
it happens to me all the time xD

and finally, Damon has summarized the situation on the mexican radio very well, such a sad situation.

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 2:03 AM