Travis

Question about the TRAVIS logo! Just out of curiosity. Help!
champagnesupernova
champagnesupernova Posted Thu 01 May, 2008 7:55 PM Quote
I am quite an ignorant about graphic designing and stuff so apologies if it has already been discussed in the forum and I then turned a deaf ear to the case because it was out of interest.
Just wondering who has created the TRAVIS logo and whether the Avant Garde magazine logo did inspire that process?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ae/Avantgardelogo.jpg

I have heard Avant Garde ushered a new era in the art world and I do think its logogram looks very cool. Looking at the fonts you can see how similar they are to each other. So that is yet another reason to LOVE the TRAVIS logo if it was inspired by 'the change' evolved in 60s. *nods*

Anyone?

Re: Question about the TRAVIS logo! Just out of curiosity. H
TK23
TK23 Posted Thu 01 May, 2008 8:47 PM Quote
Hmm, I have no idea! Good eye!

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Thu 01 May, 2008 9:44 PM Quote
Well, I don't really know but it certainly looks very similar. :)

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Fri 02 May, 2008 12:07 AM Quote
Hmm don't know. But if we don't want Travis to get sued, we better keep it quiet aye? :P

champagnesupernova
champagnesupernova Posted Fri 02 May, 2008 12:13 AM Quote
Typing to Reach You wrote:
Hmm don't know. But if we don't want Travis to get sued, we better keep it quiet aye? :P

Ha ha! Hey the fonts tide in reverse directions. Don't think such sueing could happen. Plus I said 'inspired', how could you not get inspired by Avant Garde anyway?
That's just paranoid. :-P

jesusaremus
jesusaremus Posted Fri 02 May, 2008 12:20 AM Quote
yes, i had a typography class before, we studied everything about it, but what you say it's new to me, or at leat i got a sleep in that class XD. We learnt about typography history, and all typography families.

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Fri 02 May, 2008 12:30 AM Quote
champagnesupernova wrote:
Typing to Reach You wrote:

Ha ha! Hey the fonts tide in reverse directions. Don't think such sueing could happen. Plus I said 'inspired', how could you not get inspired by Avant Garde anyway?
That's just paranoid. :-P

Yeah right...'inspired'... I'll have to use that one next time I'm sat in the court room having stolen the CokeCola font for my new company name. tehee http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x66/Jearoon2/Smilies/4-Wink.gif

You're right really, they couldn't sue. ... ... *reassures self* ... yeah, it'll be fine. Our favourite band wont get bankrupt. ... Nah. We won't lose good ol' Travis right before they're about to release a new album. Never.

*Sits in corner rocking backwards and forwards chanting "It'll be fine. I'm not paranoid. It'll be fine."*

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 02 May, 2008 12:50 AM Quote
I found this article: http://www.graphic-design.com/Type/Avant/Avant2.html

Excerpt:
One of Lubalin's partners, Tony DiSpigna, says, "The first time Avant Garde was used was one of the few times it was used correctly. It's become the most abused typeface in the world." Ed Benguiat, one of type's best friends and an ancient pal of Lubalin's, says, "The only place Avant Garde looks good is in the words Avant Garde. Everybody ruins it. They lean the letters the wrong way."

Graphic Design Publishing - Herb Lubalin's Avant Garde There are two knocks against Avant Garde: It is irrevocably connected to the era in which it was born; and it is ugly.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Fri 02 May, 2008 1:12 AM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
I found this article: http://www.graphic-design.com/Type/Avant/Avant2.html

Excerpt:
"The only place Avant Garde looks good is in the words Avant Garde. Everybody ruins it."

Excerpt:
"The only place Avant Garde looks good is in the words Avant Garde and Travis. Everybody else ruins it."

There, I fixed it. :)

mili
mili Posted Fri 02 May, 2008 8:50 AM Quote
First there was the Avant Garde magazine logo, then it was turned into a full font, which has been used and abused thoroughly ever since.
Avant Garde Gothic is pretty trendy at the moment, all the new young designers seem to like it.

jesusaremus
jesusaremus Posted Fri 02 May, 2008 8:55 AM Quote
mili wrote:
First there was the Avant Garde magazine logo, then it was turned into a full font, which has been used and abused thoroughly ever since.
Avant Garde Gothic is pretty trendy at the moment, all the new young designers seem to like it.

yes, i like it, but thi year i've seen it everywhere, VHI1, FOX, ROCKBAND, that's the ones i remember

champagnesupernova
champagnesupernova Posted Fri 02 May, 2008 12:14 PM Quote
Interesting article, Turtleneck.

And thanks for the info Mili.

I thınk I will go with Nikki to include in Avant Garde's Looking good list. tee hee

Still no word about who created it? Wish Fran was lurking to enlighten us.

RaZzZ
RaZzZ Posted Fri 02 May, 2008 7:56 PM Quote
I have seen a lot of "travis" typo in a lot of bands names

heich
heich Posted Fri 02 May, 2008 8:19 PM Quote
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club is making use of that too

Nikki
Nikki Posted Fri 02 May, 2008 8:58 PM Quote
heich wrote:
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club is making use of that too

Boooo to the Black Rebel Motorcycle Club!! (What is that, a band?...Sounds like a Detroit She-Devil rival gang, lol) Those copy cats.

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 9:23 PM