Travis

Re: NHL Playoffs begin tonight
minnesotamary
minnesotamary Posted Wed 09 Apr, 2008 5:27 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
I'M TAKING THE GLOVES OFF! We've got McCarty back, ya know!

What do ya'll think about all the fighting, btw? Do you think it's good for the game, i.e. attracting the fans, etc. I'll admit, I do enjoy a good fight now and again, but only if it's warranted.

**gives turtleneck a left hook for the enjoyment of the MB fans, hehe**

Moray
Moray Posted Wed 09 Apr, 2008 5:27 PM Quote
Aberdeen has an Amateur team as well, been down to see them a couple of times. The Aberdeen Lynx. Or whatever the plural of lynx is.

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Wed 09 Apr, 2008 5:28 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Is it true they are allowed to beat the shite out of each other until one of them falls down ?

Dubz

in some cases, yes! but, i'm not sure how they decide which fights they actually allow to follow through. they do break up a lot of them.
the fights are the best!

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 09 Apr, 2008 5:32 PM Quote
The fighting does go overboard at times. That would not be allowed in many other sports. If baseball players or basketball players whipped another guy's jersey over his head and started pounding on him, they'd be suspended forever, but in hockey it's accepted.

When it interferes with the game, when a fight breaks out every 5 minutes, when the refs aren't fair in which fights they break up immediately and which fights they allow to continue--that's when I have a problem with it.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Wed 09 Apr, 2008 5:37 PM Quote

Bunch of pussies, they've got all that protective gear on...

you should see thefights at an International Rules match... Ireland vs Austrailia (a cross between Gaelic Football and Aussie Rules).

Croke Park

Dubz

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 09 Apr, 2008 5:44 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

you should see thefights at an International Rules match... Ireland vs Austrailia (a cross between Gaelic Football and Aussie Rules).

Croke Park

Dubz

That's a relatively new thing. Some of the old time announcers remember the days when they just wore hockey "sweaters" as they called them, with no gear underneath. Look here, no helmets. Appears to be late 60's or early 70's. Don't know when the helmet law was instituted.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZWxErEbQkY

minnesotamary
minnesotamary Posted Wed 09 Apr, 2008 6:23 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Croke Park

Dubz

Unfortunately all that protective gear couldn't prevent this gruesome incident:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=280210002

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Wed 09 Apr, 2008 9:45 PM Quote
redwings all the way , unless the sharks do it

th74
th74 Posted Wed 09 Apr, 2008 10:35 PM Quote
I'll cheer for the Minnesota Wild, since they're my hometown team.

I like the Red Wings mostly since Stevie Y played for them, as he is my all time fav, but I still cheer them on (but not over the Wild).

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 10 Apr, 2008 12:40 PM Quote
I think I'll stick with the Canadiens, now how does it work ? knockout, league, legs, etc??

Dubz

Darran
Darran Posted Thu 10 Apr, 2008 2:35 PM Quote
At the end of the regular season, the team that finishes with the most points in each division is crowned the division champion. The league's overall leader is awarded the Presidents' Trophy. The three division champions along with the five other teams in each conference with the next highest number of points, for a total of 8 teams in each conference, qualify for the playoffs. The division winners are seeded one through three (even if a non-division winner has a higher point total), and the next five teams with the best records in the conference are seeded four through eight.[14] The Stanley Cup Playoffs is an elimination tournament, where two teams battle to win a best-of-seven series in order to advance to the next round. The first round of the playoffs, or conference quarterfinals, consists of the first seed playing the eighth seed, the second playing the seventh, third playing the sixth, and the fourth playing the fifth.[14] In the second round, or conference semifinals, the NHL re-seeds the teams, with the top remaining conference seed playing against the lowest remaining seed, and the other two remaining conference teams pairing off. In the third round, the conference finals, the two remaining teams in each conference play each other, with the conference champions proceeding to the Stanley Cup Finals.

In each round the higher-ranked team is said to be the team with the home-ice advantage. Four of the seven games are played at this team's home venue — the first and second, and, when necessary, the fifth and seventh games — with the other games played at the lower-ranked team's home venue.

minnesotamary
minnesotamary Posted Thu 10 Apr, 2008 2:37 PM Quote
ricv64 wrote:
redwings all the way , unless the sharks do it

I'm so disappointed you feel that way :(

The Wild did not fair too well last night...lost in OT.

Tonight: Go Stars!

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 10 Apr, 2008 2:45 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
I think I'll stick with the Canadiens, now how does it work ? knockout, league, legs, etc??

Dubz

I'm disappointed in you. I gave you a beer and everything.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Thu 10 Apr, 2008 2:46 PM Quote
first game I ever watched was a redwings game. some dude fouled a redwing and another redwing skated up to him and WAILED on him . Thats my team

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 10 Apr, 2008 2:50 PM Quote
ricv64 wrote:
first game I ever watched was a redwings game. some dude fouled a redwing and another redwing skated up to him and WAILED on him . Thats my team

Awesome 'possum. First game is tonight at home against Nashville, I believe.

Pages Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Times BST Current Time 9:23 PM