flower child nikki strikes again , mazn

Re: NHL Playoffs begin tonight
Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sat 26 Apr, 2008 5:07 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:
ricv64 wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:
I'll watch it. I'll do laundry and everything to ensure our victory. I have nothing to do today. Hubs went to Chicago for some art thing. I'm still recovering from the flu, I still gots da feva, maZn. I'm hot and cold every other minute.

you should eat some ginger laced chicken soup

I don't have any. I usually make my chicken soup from scratch. My chicken is frozen. And I just don't feel like making it, anyway. It's probably gonna be a sandwich.
2000!!!!

WOOT, WOOT!!!!!! Happy 2,000th post, Kayte! I wish I had time to make you a fancy photoshop pic, but I gotta get ready for freakin' work and I'm just not that talented, lol! But here are some feathers for your window:
http://i29.tinypic.com/2i2c5v.jpg

Thanks! I really like the purple ones.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Sat 26 Apr, 2008 5:31 PM Quote
two detroit hippies now

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sat 26 Apr, 2008 10:22 PM Quote
Wings victorious! 5-1

minnmess
minnmess Posted Sat 26 Apr, 2008 10:50 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
Hope you're feelin' better Kayte!

So guys...Kayte and I were discussing this octopus situation at Joe Louis Arena and I want to know what everyone thinks about it.

The NHL is threatening to give Al Sobotka (our famous Zamboni driver) a $10,000 fine for picking up and swinging octopi thrown on the ice. Apparently, the league thinks bits of octopus get on the ice. What a crock. Way to ruin an original six team's tradition! The player's spit is probably just as bad as octopi goo. >:/

Here's a really nice article about it, written by The Detroit News' John Niyo:

NHL freezes Sobotka's swirl

DETROIT -- Some traditions never get old, do they?
Like the NHL's uncanny ability to tick off the fans in Detroit, home to one of the league's most successful franchises and arguably its most devoted U.S. audience.

So for that reason, and certainly others far less snarky, the memo that arrived late this week from Colin Campbell, the NHL's director of hockey operations, shouldn't have been a complete surprise.

But tell that to the sellout crowd that packed the Joe Louis Arena on Friday night. They were treated to a 2-1 overtime victory in Game 5 against the Nashville Predators but were denied one of their favorite traditions: Al Sobotka twirling a giant octopus over his head, revving up the crowd just before the opening faceoff.

Now hear this
The NHL has officially banned Al's playoff tradition, sending out a memo forbidding Zamboni drivers -- they didn't mention Sobotka by name, only by job description -- from cleaning up the kind of curious on-ice debris that only a diehard hockey fan could understand.

That slimy job will be left to the linesmen from now on, Campbell decreed, though Friday it was two of the Predators who scooped up the seafood and tossed it behind the visitors bench.

Sobotka, meanwhile, was forced to sit and watch from the Zamboni entrance. Violating the new mandate from the league's front office will result in a $10,000 fine, and Sobotka, the JLA building manager who began working at the old Olympia back in 1971, isn't about to pay that tab.

"I don't have it, for one," Sobotka said, laughing. "And I don't think the Red Wings are going to pay it. So we'll have to obey the rules."

But just for good measure, after he'd finished resurfacing the ice during the first intermission, Sobotka picked up one of the octopi lounging rinkside, gave a big holler for old time's sake and twirled the thing over his head.

Out of sight, but not out of mind.

"Certain teams and certain traditions, they should just leave them alone," the Wings' Chris Osgood said. "It's a shame. It's great for the atmosphere, and the fans love it. The league should ask the fans first before they do anything. That's who pays to get into the rink and see the game."

Ironically, it was 56 years ago this week the tradition started, when Pete Cusimano tossed an octopus on to the ice to celebrate a playoff goal by Gordie Howe against the Canadiens. The Wings then reeled off eight straight victories en route to the Stanley Cup, and a playoff tradition was born in Detroit.

Sobotka's own unique role in it began in 1991, as he recalls.

"Last game of the regular season against Chicago, and somebody threw one just inside the blue line and nobody went to grab it," he said. "So I went out and got it, and since the playoffs were coming up, I twirled it. And that was the start of it all -- it just grew from there."

Dissenting views
Other teams have complained about Sobotka's wild squid swinging, but Sobotka, who calls the ice surface at the Joe "my baby," insists his act doesn't affect the field of play.

The NHL obviously disagrees, though vice president Frank Brown declined to comment on the decision Friday night. But just for the record, as recently as last year's playoffs, the NHL tacitly endorsed Sobotka's antics.

"Every so often, an octopus slips out of someone's hands, and Al is right there to take care of the matter," Brown told the New York Times last May. "And he cannot be blamed if, as it tries to break free from Al's grasp, the octopus lifts Al's arm and twirls itself in the air."

It was all in good fun. Or, at least it used to be.

"Whatever the league wants," Sobotka said, shaking his head, "that's what they'll get."

Tradition is tradition! Let it be!

Congrats wings
Habs game in an hour and 10 minutes! But im going to a play at my work, so I will be checking the score on my phone. Yay technology

Nikki
Nikki Posted Sun 27 Apr, 2008 3:13 PM Quote
OMG, 5-1 Wings!!!! A Franzen hat trick and a Mac fight! I missed one hell of a game! Stupid work. I'm going to try and catch the replay today on NHL Network. I had my friends giving me text message updates throughout the game, lol!

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Mon 28 Apr, 2008 4:29 AM Quote
Woohoooo!!!! Stars are 2-0 in the series!
What a great game two win, 5-2 and on the road too!!

I'm thinking Mary's the only one who cares. oh well, we're happy!

minnesotamary
minnesotamary Posted Mon 28 Apr, 2008 1:43 PM Quote
SamuraiSandy wrote:

It was a great game! Hmmm...do I smell a Stars v. Red Wings Western Conference Finals??!

minnesotamary
minnesotamary Posted Mon 28 Apr, 2008 1:43 PM Quote
SamuraiSandy wrote:

It was a great game! Hmmm...do I smell a Stars v. Red Wings Western Conference Finals??!

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 29 Apr, 2008 6:01 AM Quote
minnesotamary wrote:
SamuraiSandy wrote:

It's looking that way! Get ready for a whooping! :P I totally missed any games that may have been on TV tonight. I gotta check the scores before bed.

Any predictions on which team is coming out of the East? I say either Habs or Pens...probably Pens. To be honest, I don't really care because I think the Wings can beat any of those Eastern Conference teams easily.

feri
feri Posted Tue 29 Apr, 2008 8:50 AM Quote
Go Habs? lol I really shouldn't be cheering them but Toronto's out and they're pretty much the only Canadian team. They'll go to the finals.. I swear for the past few years a Canadian team has gone to finals Flames, Oilers, then Senators and now Montreal (if they make it) I find this all a bit odd..cuz it occurred consecutively minus the strike.and they've also always lost..something fishy is going on here..they had a 0.5 chance of winning every time yet all 3 Canadian teams lost..it's time for a Canadian team TO WIN!

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Tue 29 Apr, 2008 1:51 PM Quote
OK if the sharks lose today I have to go back and switch loyalty to the Redwings cause the sharks got eatten ?

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 29 Apr, 2008 2:11 PM Quote
ricv64 wrote:
OK if the sharks lose today I have to go back and switch loyalty to the Redwings cause the sharks got eatten ?

Ohhh you bandwagon fan!!! :P You should have always stayed with the Red Wings, Ricardo!

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Tue 29 Apr, 2008 2:12 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
ricv64 wrote:

Ohhh you bandwagon fan!!! :P You should have always stayed with the Red Wings, Ricardo!

I have yet to watch a sharks game , thats just blatant localisim creeping in

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 29 Apr, 2008 2:16 PM Quote
The Colorado games start at 10:00. Bummer!

P.S. Thank goodness we only have one more day to endure this:
April in the "D"

Pages Previous 1...12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next All Times BST Current Time 10:14 PM