Travis

Eyes Wide Open, lyrical interpretation
Rallyfoeraren
Rallyfoeraren Posted Tue 08 Apr, 2008 5:26 PM Quote
I've never really paid much attention to the lyrics for this song before, but I just looked up the word "watershed", and found out that it means the time during which it is allowed to broadcast TV shows with "adult content". And all the pieces fell together.

The song is about a small kid who has been up too late watching TV, and is now trying to go to sleep, which is impossible because of all the "visions in my head" created by what was on TV. He is really scared after what he has seen, and has to leave the bedroom door "open a crack" to soothe his worst fears a little. He tries the old-school counting sheep method, without succes. Then comes the odd line "so I can see tee pees when I'm feeling tents", which I can't really figure out. Finally, the kid has to hide behind his eiderdown to protect himself from all the terrible things that can attack him. It all makes perfect sense!

OK, so now comes the awkwards moment when everyone says, "Ah, I knew that! What took you so long?" Anyway, this just struck me and I felt I had to tell you.

Re: Eyes Wide Open, lyrical interpretation
Moray
Moray Posted Tue 08 Apr, 2008 5:33 PM Quote
Think it's "When I'm feeling tense"...... although tents is an amusing play on words with tee-pee's, since a tee-pee is a Native American tent.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Tue 08 Apr, 2008 5:33 PM Quote
Well, I'd never really thought of it before. I don't really read much into lyrics myself. I like a good melody, nice tune etc. Although I probably wouldn't be able to sing along to a song with the lyrics 'poo poo bum face' or something, no matter how good the music. lol

I suppose it sounds right what you say but I don't know. Great song though! :)

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Tue 08 Apr, 2008 5:34 PM Quote
No it is definitely 'tents' Nice play on words.

Moray
Moray Posted Tue 08 Apr, 2008 5:40 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:

Pretty sure it's 'tense'. "Feeling Tents" would be a ridiculous line.

I don't think it's tee-pee's either. But I don't know what it is.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Tue 08 Apr, 2008 5:43 PM Quote
I've just had a look in the little book...

'so I can see tee pees when I'm feeling tents'

Rallyfoeraren
Rallyfoeraren Posted Tue 08 Apr, 2008 5:44 PM Quote
Moray wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:

Pretty sure it's 'tense'. "Feeling Tents" would be a ridiculous line.

I don't think it's tee-pee's either. But I don't know what it is.

Well, it says tee-pees and tents in the booklet, so I'm sure it's right, even though it's supposed to mean "tense". Is there any chance that there could be an alternative meaning for "tee-pees", or any word that makes sense that sounds a bit like it?

Sky-Blue Puppy
Sky-Blue Puppy Posted Tue 08 Apr, 2008 6:02 PM Quote

Tents are, well, small(ish), right? Tee-pees, on the other hand, are big, they're huge tents. So it's a small tent versus a huge tent. He feels small and vulnerable, but tries to imagine himself big so he could fight the monsters off and fall asleep. Or something like that. Or not.... Great, now i confused even myself :S

Rallyfoeraren
Rallyfoeraren Posted Tue 08 Apr, 2008 6:17 PM Quote
Sky-Blue Puppy wrote:

Tents are, well, small(ish), right? Tee-pees, on the other hand, are big, they're huge tents. So it's a small tent versus a huge tent. He feels small and vulnerable, but tries to imagine himself big so he could fight the monsters off and fall asleep. Or something like that. Or not.... Great, now i confused even myself :S

Maybe the tee-pees are his parents, the big tents that he wants to see to be able to relax. Anyway, the lyrics kind of suggest that the tee-pee thing should come as a direct result from the sheep counting. It all seems to take place in the country side at least. Hmm... I have no idea whatsoever really.

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Tue 08 Apr, 2008 6:18 PM Quote
It's definitely tents, but it's a play on words of tents and teepees, not a mistake. It's probably a memory or a funny moment that Fran thought of when he was writing it and *pop* we had a tents/tense pun :)

Sky-Blue Puppy
Sky-Blue Puppy Posted Tue 08 Apr, 2008 6:21 PM Quote

You know, you should change the title of this thread to one of those 'FAO Fran' ones, so you could get an answer straight from him :)

I really like this thread, however. It's interesting to see how differently people can interpret lyrics.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 08 Apr, 2008 7:44 PM Quote
I always thought it was "tense", hadn't ever read the lyrics in the booklet. Interesting.

I don't have any thoughts to contribute to the meaning of the song except to say that when I chatted with Fran after the Austin show about another song he said it's always best to take their lyrics at face value and the simplest interpretation is usually correct.

"Eyes Wide Open" does have some interesting lines that I don't like are very straight forward. I dig it a lot though.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 08 Apr, 2008 8:46 PM Quote
I had never heard that definition of "watershed." Vedy interrrresting!

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 08 Apr, 2008 10:05 PM Quote
wa·ter·shed
1 a: divide
2a b: a region or area bounded peripherally by a divide and draining ultimately to a particular watercourse or body of water2: a crucial dividing point, line, or factor : turning point

Yeah I've only heard it used to mean a turning point. So interesting to wonder if that is the meaning or if Fran knows about this watershed time on TV.

Moray
Moray Posted Tue 08 Apr, 2008 10:31 PM Quote
He will do Anne, it's a very British thing. Programme's will be announced as 'On after the watershed'.

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 3:12 AM