Travis

Waiting round in the cold for bands.
Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Thu 03 Apr, 2008 5:05 AM Quote
Why the actual fuck do people do it? To meet a band they've already bloody met before? Or to say they can see them? Or just to feel like they have done something with their fucking day?

Obviously it's coz people have heroes and they want their dreams to come true and all that shite, but aaaaarrrrrrggggggghhhhhhh.

My sister and me went to see REM 10 days ago, and I was under the impression we were gonna spend most of the day in the pub. So I decide not to wear my big coat, I even went to her house before we left to go out and she didn't say anything about me needing a coat coz we were gonna be in the fucking cold.

We go to a gallery to look at REM photos at about 2pm, it is fucking snowing, and then we spend the rest of the day outside the Albert Hall til about 7pm trying to meet a band we have already met before. By 4pm I am absolutely fed up and want to leave but I can't leave my sister by herself coz she'd get really upset and I'm not the type of person to leave someone by themselves. But I tell her how unhappy I am with hanging around and that I couldn't give two fucks about meeting a band that I've already met before. My health is more important to me, and I have exams coming up, I can't fucking afford to get ill!!

At about 6 I found the REM drummer while I was getting him a burger and he actually came with me half way round the Albert Hall just so he could talk to my sister. Now most musicians don't follow a fan round so they can meet another one, especially when they have other things to do. I don't think my sister quite appreciates what I did for her.

So then we go inside at about 7pm, watch the band etc etc. When it comes to after the gig, she decides she wants to wait around some more!! And of course I have to wait with her coz there is no way I'm leaving my sister in the dark in a place where she doesn't know! I couldn't fucking walk myself, my bones were hurting so much from the cold, but we waited til after midnight! I felt like such a fucking mug, hanging round for nothing. EVENTUALLY we went home.

This is the best bit of the whole story, which explains further why I'm so pissed off: She was going to see REM again 2 days later at an iTunes thingy. A small little event where she actually has more chance of meeting them.

So now obviously I am ill from being in the cold for so bastard long! My nose is blocked and irritating me, I can't breathe through it so have to breathe through my mouth, which has given me a really fucking sore throat. My head aches like fuck. I feel all phlegmy but can't do fuck all about it, and to top it all off my nose has started dripping like a tap! The past 5 or so nights I haven't been able to sleep properly, waking up every hour for about 10 minutes drinking water because my mouth has gotten so dry from breathing through it.

I've told my sister I'm not well and she says to blame REM for it. And she even said it in a joking way! I'm so so so fucking upset and angry at her for putting me through all that, leading me to get ill! And all I want is a few days off to recover from it but I have no bloody time.

I've never been so frustrated in my life! I apologise for the length of this rant, and for the bad language in it.

This thing is longer than any of the fucking essays I've gotta do hahaha.

But anyway my point is: waiting around in the cold for bands. It's alrite when it's you who wants to meet them and you are prepared to stand around in the freezing, but please for fuck's sake never drag anyone else through it. Not unless they want to and are ready to possibly get ill from it. It's not worth it at all otherwise.

Re: Waiting round in the cold for bands.
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Thu 03 Apr, 2008 5:19 AM Quote
Lemon Grinner wrote:

But anyway my point is: waiting around in the cold for bands. It's alrite when it's you who wants to meet them and you are prepared to stand around in the freezing, but please for fuck's sake never drag anyone else through it. Not unless they want to and are ready to possibly get ill from it. It's not worth it at all otherwise.

That's an excellent point.
I'm so sorry you're ill now! It must be very frustrating, even more if your sister doesn't appreciate what you did for her!
Get well soon! *hands Grinner a cup of tea and an extra blanket*

Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Thu 03 Apr, 2008 5:21 AM Quote
Thankyou. I actually think I'm gonna take a hot water bottle to school with me this morning hahaha.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Thu 03 Apr, 2008 5:22 AM Quote
not your best writting but nice story .

Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Thu 03 Apr, 2008 5:26 AM Quote
ricv64 wrote:

I apologise for my writing???

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Thu 03 Apr, 2008 5:33 AM Quote
Lemon Grinner wrote:
ricv64 wrote:

I apologise for my writing???

nah , it's cool

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Thu 03 Apr, 2008 7:28 AM Quote
Poor lil Grinner..Its horrible to have a bad cold like that but what strikes me is that you are a really nice person to do that for your sister. Hope you feel better soon :)

As for the point, well it can be important to meet the band ,( feeling to me is a bit like going to see Father Christmas!) I've always had frost bite and given up but actually, determination is a strong emotion and its nice to go the extra mile :)

Ursina
Ursina Posted Thu 03 Apr, 2008 8:06 AM Quote
awww Grinner girl, that's too bad. Hope you'll get better soon.

I understand you point and for that season I prefer to wait for the band on my own rather than persuade somebody else to wait with me. Problem is, once you start waiting you can't leave, just imagine they appear the minute you left!! lol

MemphisQueen
MemphisQueen Posted Sat 26 Apr, 2008 3:34 AM Quote
Tonight I stood out in near freezing temperatures to GET IN to a gig. It was at a college (first mistake, I'm too old for this shit) and they, shit you not, made every girl check their purse - as it check it via coat check. I had to leave my purse, wallet, everything with them and just take in a little bitty ticket that should hopefully get my world back to me at the end of the night.

So out in the cold for an hour and a half to get in only to find that the pack mentality of insecure college pricks overcomes a sensitive singersongwriter trying his best to play acoustically in a large gym.

he even played a new song i'd never heard - did i mention he hasn't toured in almost three years? they ruined it - and same thing, back at my hotel, sore throat already, stuffy nose. think i might order some chocolate cake from room service and big ole glass of wine.

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 4:13 PM