Travis

Moving to the UK - help!
MemphisQueen
MemphisQueen Posted Mon 31 Mar, 2008 12:31 AM Quote
Okay people - I know it's not tour time; so you're probably wondering what I'm doing online.....

Well, I'm starting to look at the idea of moving to the UK for a few years. My company has their European headquarters out in Cambridge, and my same traveling job exists over there. So I figure, why not travel throughout Europe - and on my company's dime!

Of course the main requirement is that I live near a major airport. Naturally I thought of London, but have NO idea what neighborhoods are safe for a single woman, what the average rent is, do they accept a cat, where to meet people, etc.

Being my usual anal self, I'm starting to plan well in advance - want to move over the holiday and start Jan 2.

ANY ideas / advice desperately wanted and greatly appreciated!!!!

Re: Moving to the UK - help!
SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Mon 31 Mar, 2008 12:33 AM Quote
sorry, i'm of no help, but i just wanted to say, WOW! you have an awesome job! good luck with all of that!

MemphisQueen
MemphisQueen Posted Mon 31 Mar, 2008 12:37 AM Quote
SamuraiSandy wrote:
sorry, i'm of no help, but i just wanted to say, WOW! you have an awesome job! good luck with all of that!

thanks lady - i'm gonna miss all the fun times in the states, but i think this is an opportunity i can't pass up.

mozman68
mozman68 Posted Mon 31 Mar, 2008 12:50 AM Quote
Are you sure you can bring a cat??

I think you might find that you will be able to fly direct to a lot of European cities from an airport other than Gatwick or Heathrow...why not Start up in Scotland...then move South later if you want?

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Mon 31 Mar, 2008 12:55 AM Quote
Awww man! Well if anyone can move across the pond it's you. You're a natural born adventurer. But I agree with Sandy, I'll miss seeing you at the shows too. But if you have the opportunity then take it!

carlottarocks
carlottarocks Posted Mon 31 Mar, 2008 1:20 AM Quote
I could be wrong, but I could swear I read/saw something a while back saying that if you move to UK from some other country you have to quarantine your pet for x amount of days. it may have changed or I may be pulling stuff out my booty, so anyone feel free to correct me :)

MemphisQueen
MemphisQueen Posted Mon 31 Mar, 2008 1:21 AM Quote
mozman68 wrote:
Are you sure you can bring a cat??

I think you might find that you will be able to fly direct to a lot of European cities from an airport other than Gatwick or Heathrow...why not Start up in Scotland...then move South later if you want?

yeah I have to have him vaccinated against rabies at least 6 months prior to entry, have a microchip implanted, and he has to pass a blood test both 6 months prior to entry and another again upon entry - all by a UK approved vet in the states. as i live in the states this saves him from a mandatory 6 month quarantine.

good thing - b/c he's more of a dog or a lion than a cat. he definitely doesn't sit and purr! :)

my only concern too - i detest the cold. i was in glasgow last november and it was f-r-e-e-z-i-n-g. quite beautiful but cold nonetheless. but i'll give it some thought....

Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Mon 31 Mar, 2008 10:05 AM Quote
The south of the UK is generally warmer than Scotland, but recently it's been the other way round. But if you're still concerned about the cold then I suggest to buy a bloody great big coat, coz it gets cold a lot and often raains. We love rain over here! Or rather it loves us...

Ursina
Ursina Posted Mon 31 Mar, 2008 4:53 PM Quote
wherever you go, don't fly to / out of Heathrow ! lol

Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Mon 31 Mar, 2008 5:06 PM Quote
Ursina wrote:
wherever you go, don't fly to / out of Heathrow ! lol

Haha T5...

MemphisQueen
MemphisQueen Posted Thu 03 Apr, 2008 2:24 AM Quote
Thankfully I just got back from Alaska last month (where our themometer bottomed out at -60F!!!). So I have some good warm clothes; I just hate wearing them. It took me about 30 minutes to layer up before I left my hotel every time!

I actually figure I'll fly in/out of LHR -it'll probably be easier to get around the rest of Europe. But looking at the Tube map it doesn't seem to be easy to get there from the city without changing lines a gajillion times.

Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Thu 03 Apr, 2008 5:11 AM Quote
MemphisQueen wrote:
Thankfully I just got back from Alaska last month (where our themometer bottomed out at -60F!!!). So I have some good warm clothes; I just hate wearing them. It took me about 30 minutes to layer up before I left my hotel every time!

I actually figure I'll fly in/out of LHR -it'll probably be easier to get around the rest of Europe. But looking at the Tube map it doesn't seem to be easy to get there from the city without changing lines a gajillion times.

Which bit of the city? It's easy enough, the tubes. I love em, sometimes think I should work for London Transport :D

MemphisQueen
MemphisQueen Posted Mon 07 Apr, 2008 1:27 AM Quote
Lemon Grinner wrote:

Which bit of the city? It's easy enough, the tubes. I love em, sometimes think I should work for London Transport :D

That's the tough part to figure out. I dont know which neighborhoods are "dodgy" as y'all put it :) i'm afraid I'll get stuck in a lease in a sketch part of town. Since I travel so much i'll be leaving my place unmanned for days on end and coming home late at night by myself; so I need to find a place affordable yet safe.

Alisha
Alisha Posted Mon 07 Apr, 2008 2:37 AM Quote
I think the thing to take pets into uk & ireland (different rules applies to the rest of europe for all tha i know) might even require you sometimes to leave your pet-friend for custom reasons for about 45 days. I had a link related to this stuff concerning the matter, but if you just google around and get on the government website or something like that you'll get all the infor for sure.
as for living... well I myself have tried to live in the very inner-city-core... highly advise not to... chiswick... lovely but depends on where you have to travel to to get to your office, kensington so far still has all my love.
Next move though I'll probably think to more more over north london, and for the little I've seen of it St John's wood it's just oh-so-lovely, looks like living in a little village... but in the end you're just north of regent's park and on the jubilee line, although they tell me it might get quite pricey.
Camden itself (like close to the camden lock and market) it's lovely for touris (or for work hours, as I work there :P) but then again, I wouldn't live there, it just gives me the idea of being the most untidy place on earth. but stil the vibe cheers me up all the time.

I hope I haven't been too verbose :) if you need anything else specific and if I know it I'll be glad to be helpful :)

Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Mon 07 Apr, 2008 11:54 AM Quote
Alisha wrote:

Camden itself (like close to the camden lock and market) it's lovely for touris (or for work hours, as I work there :P) but then again, I wouldn't live there, it just gives me the idea of being the most untidy place on earth. but stil the vibe cheers me up all the time.

I live right in the middle of Camden, and it's absolutely amazing. You have everything you need on your doorstep, easy transport access to anywhere, night buses etc. You just have to put up with the countless number of tourists on the weekends which can be a pain in the arse. And the many posers in certain pubs (not The Hawley Arms tho, after the burnage...), but Camden is so close to Central London it's easy to get away from the wankers.

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 2:42 AM