Travis

Fran's perfect song (from Q magazine)
milos
milos Posted Thu 20 Mar, 2008 8:26 PM Quote
Sorry if this has already been posted, but i came across an article from Q magazine (October 2007 i think) about songwriters discussing their favourite songs. Here's the part about Fran. It's a great story!

Fran Healey (Travis)
Another Sleep Song by Graham Nash (1973)

"I heard it first in 2002. It was written in 1973, the year I was born. The melody was so fresh and new to me and the lyric felt poetic and conversational at the same time. I listened to pretty much this same song for a whole year till I knew it inside out. I was addicted to it.
Then, a year later, in a wierd twist of fate, I bumped into Graham in the lobby of a hotel in Manchester. He was in town to hang a photography exhibition. He invited me down to the gallery. After our soundcheck a runner drove me to the Richard Goodall Gallery and we chatted about the song. He said it was about a very famous actress/singer he knew and about how isolated she had become. He was so affected by the sight of her vegging out that he went into another room of her house and wrote it then and there.
Downstairs in the Goodall gallery we spotted an old out of tune upright piano so he rushed over and started retracing the chords saying as he did that he hadn't played it for 25 years! After a minute of chopping and changing he performed the song right there, while he was playing his wife came up and told me that if I asked him to play it on stage tonight with the band he would probably do it. After he finished I popped the question and without a second thought, he accepted.
I rushed back to the venue, heart on fire and got Nora to play it down the phone so we could hear all the parts...That evening at the encore he came on and played. Coincidentally there was a documentary team following him about at this time and they filmed the whole thing."

Re: Fran's perfect song (from Q magazine)
Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Thu 20 Mar, 2008 8:43 PM Quote
Hey this post is a bit spooky...Its just that I posted something similar about 2 weeks ago and I know you dont know that .Spooookeeee :)

gaby
gaby Posted Thu 20 Mar, 2008 8:46 PM Quote
amazing story! I didn´t know about it. Thanks for sharing milos!
*cheers*

Conor14
Conor14 Posted Thu 20 Mar, 2008 9:57 PM Quote
nice one, i think theres a video about this floating around on youtube somewhere and it also has the performance.

on the topic of Q, i bought this month's issue. worth getting if u like radiohead and r.e.m. :)

maryhill_johnny
maryhill_johnny Posted Thu 20 Mar, 2008 10:49 PM Quote
can't touch this

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Thu 20 Mar, 2008 11:16 PM Quote
Cool. Anyone have the original Another Sleep Song? It's not on youtube.

jesusaremus
jesusaremus Posted Fri 21 Mar, 2008 12:29 AM Quote
Typing to Reach You wrote:
Cool. Anyone have the original Another Sleep Song? It's not on youtube.

i have it. it's a great song

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Fri 21 Mar, 2008 5:04 AM Quote
Doesn't anyone read my posts ? :(

Nevertheless, a popular time for fans :)

http://www.travisonline.com/board/view.php?t=7068#121637

Ursina
Ursina Posted Thu 27 Mar, 2008 10:13 AM Quote
maryhill_johnny wrote:

wow amazing ! thanks fer posting M. Johnny ! this is socool !

nice to see you here again btw :)

galletitabonita
galletitabonita Posted Sun 30 Mar, 2008 6:57 AM Quote
Conor14 wrote:

on the topic of Q, i bought this month's issue. worth getting if u like radiohead and r.e.m. :)

and if you like keane XD
i bought it for them... I guess
or maybe it was another month
anyway
it was nice to find Fran's perfect song as well...

RaZzZ
RaZzZ Posted Sun 30 Mar, 2008 7:45 AM Quote
Somewhere Else wrote:
Doesn't anyone read my posts ? :(

Nevertheless, a popular time for fans :)

http://www.travisonline.com/board/view.php?t=7068#121637

I did pal...

It´s an amazing song.

I have 1 video, from your post, At Apollo, Manchester.
Graham playing piano.

And other video, with Fran and dudes, playing the cover...

Chiito-chan
Chiito-chan Posted Sun 30 Mar, 2008 12:00 PM Quote
maryhill_johnny wrote:

Amazing. thank you very much.

kevvvy
kevvvy Posted Mon 31 Mar, 2008 12:54 AM Quote
Conor14 wrote:

Just got this months thru the post. Leafing thru it and recognised some pics on the wall in the piece on Amy MacDonald. I don't come on here very often nowadays but was surprised to find that Amy MacDonald is this boards very own AmyMac! She sent me the same pics of her and Travis after the Glasgow Academy gig!

Yeah I realised I'm probably the only person that didn't realise that lol

Travis Web Team
Travis Web Team Posted Mon 31 Mar, 2008 10:58 AM Quote
milos wrote:
Sorry if this has already been posted, but i came across an article from Q magazine (October 2007 i think) about songwriters discussing their favourite songs. Here's the part about Fran. It's a great story!

Fran Healey (Travis)
Another Sleep Song by Graham Nash (1973)

"I heard it first in 2002. It was written in 1973, the year I was born. The melody was so fresh and new to me and the lyric felt poetic and conversational at the same time. I listened to pretty much this same song for a whole year till I knew it inside out. I was addicted to it.
Then, a year later, in a wierd twist of fate, I bumped into Graham in the lobby of a hotel in Manchester. He was in town to hang a photography exhibition. He invited me down to the gallery. After our soundcheck a runner drove me to the Richard Goodall Gallery and we chatted about the song. He said it was about a very famous actress/singer he knew and about how isolated she had become. He was so affected by the sight of her vegging out that he went into another room of her house and wrote it then and there.
Downstairs in the Goodall gallery we spotted an old out of tune upright piano so he rushed over and started retracing the chords saying as he did that he hadn't played it for 25 years! After a minute of chopping and changing he performed the song right there, while he was playing his wife came up and told me that if I asked him to play it on stage tonight with the band he would probably do it. After he finished I popped the question and without a second thought, he accepted.
I rushed back to the venue, heart on fire and got Nora to play it down the phone so we could hear all the parts...That evening at the encore he came on and played. Coincidentally there was a documentary team following him about at this time and they filmed the whole thing."

also see:

http://www.travisonline.com/tourarchive/2004/03/08/?s=311

Conor14
Conor14 Posted Mon 31 Mar, 2008 12:21 PM Quote
kevvvy wrote:
Conor14 wrote:

Just got this months thru the post. Leafing thru it and recognised some pics on the wall in the piece on Amy MacDonald. I don't come on here very often nowadays but was surprised to find that Amy MacDonald is this boards very own AmyMac! She sent me the same pics of her and Travis after the Glasgow Academy gig!

Yeah I realised I'm probably the only person that didn't realise that lol

i didnt realise that either lol thats pretty cool.

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 2:14 AM