Travis

Re: 12 Memories - So Under-rated
bara
bara Posted Thu 06 Mar, 2008 11:38 AM Quote
choke the chicken wrote:
I think its because it was a shock after such a light easy-listening invisible band. It's fair to say 12 memories is not exactly an album for the supermarket cd shopper.

exactly.

Ursina
Ursina Posted Thu 06 Mar, 2008 12:02 PM Quote
Who says it's not a good album ? everybody here seem to think it's good. I love it, it's certainly different from the previous ones but it absolutely captures the way Fran and the band felt at the time...

bara
bara Posted Thu 06 Mar, 2008 12:27 PM Quote
yep i think noone said something bad about it. MoreThanMe was just angry about the press i guess.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Thu 06 Mar, 2008 1:43 PM Quote
I think OK Computer is the greatest ever album. I love it, and The Bends is brilliant too. Kid A is ok, but i think Amnesiac is mostly very poor apart from 3 or 4 songs. Not heard Hail To The Thief or In Rainbows (apart from 2 songs) yet.

Travis haven't released a poor album. Some people seem to think Radiohead are the greatest band ever and nobody touches them. I think they are wrong.

12 Memories was harshly treated.

Why Does It Always Payne On Me
Why Does It Always Payne On Me Posted Thu 06 Mar, 2008 4:16 PM Quote
martina wrote:
in my opinion it's their best album... most critics dismissed it 'cause they probably thought "Travis = happy and catchy music, so they can't make anything else" (funny they dismiss them when they make happy and catchy music too!)

AMEN! I've said it before and I'll say it again -- 12 Memories is easily my favourite Travis album to date. I think it's great that they have such variety on the album! It made me FEEL. You have wonderfully dark and brooding songs like "Happy to Hang Around," you have your rock-fuelled rallying songs like "The Beautiful Occupation" (wherein Andy has a FACE-MELTING solo, thank you), and the pretty, but not saccharine, "Love Will Come Through."

It's a GREAT album. I never understood why it was so poorly received, because it was really phenomenal, in my admittedly less-than-influential opinion.

*hugs CD to self (at risk of sharp-corners-related injury)*

Now... if there's an album that should have been panned, X&Y springs to mind. Don't get me wrong, I was a HUGE Coldplay fan.

...until I bought that album.

deebee
deebee Posted Thu 06 Mar, 2008 4:58 PM Quote
I must admit that after the other albums, I was a bit disappointed with 12 Mem at first. I took a long step back and left it for a couple of years only coming back to it last year after seeing them in London. I rediscovered the album in a whole new way and some of my absolute faves are on there!

Craigyboy
Craigyboy Posted Thu 06 Mar, 2008 5:18 PM Quote
I Love that album for its darkness,happy to hang around and quicksand are my fav tracks on it! But i'm sure it charted at number 3 or 4 and tbwnn only charted at number 10 i think i could be wrong so please advise me if i am!
Craig

yulen10
yulen10 Posted Thu 06 Mar, 2008 5:32 PM Quote
THE BENDS is another one of the best l.p´s ever made.
I like AMNESIAC but alive (Listen to I might be wrong Live Recordings EP, where 3 songs of it appear).
I recommend you Hail to the thief.. Above all: There there, 2+2=5, Sail to the moon, I will.

It´s difficult to say who are the greatest in History...
maybe THE BEATLES.. but RADIOHEAD are genious.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Thu 06 Mar, 2008 8:24 PM Quote
My favourite Travis album changes quite frecuently. When I first got 12 Memories I liked it, but it wasn't my favourite. Last year I "rediscovered" it and fell in love with it. It's amazing. Everything sounds perfect there... it's a masterpiece. It's brilliant.

Lafkadio
Lafkadio Posted Thu 06 Mar, 2008 9:06 PM Quote
I love 12 memories, actually i happen to think it's the band's greatest album yet. Looking back at old Travis i do see a slight difference in the way the songs were arranged but overally i think it's a very versitile album. How ever, that's all coming from a life long fan. I mean i have listened to Travis long enough to know how to appreciate the randomness in the lyric or any other quality that has made Travis the greatest band on the face of the earth to a lot of us, but the truth is, we can't expect the public to react in the same way. I noticed someone mentioning Snowpatrol. The thing about Snowpatrol is that they make catchy music, i was personally blown away when i heard Chasing Cars for the first time. Charts are made by first impressions. That's why pop songs or pop-punk songs are always at the top. What i like to call easy music. I don't mean that rich music can't get great reviews, it would be a pretty dumb thing for me to say, but really we see alot of bogus going on top too. Good music requires time. Sometimes it takes me years to realize that i like an album. I didn't like Big Chair the first 4 times i listened to it but then i decided that it was one of my favourite Travis songs. You're willing to put that time and energy into a band that you care about but for an ordinary indie fan who's been dragged to this type of music by a band like Snowpatrol, Big Chair is another mediocre dull song that isn't worth a second shot.
I do think that 12 memories is underrated and though it doesn't take away anything from it's value, it's critical to any band's survival that it gets good public reviews. And i don't just mean that about 12 memories, but also any other album they have or may release in the future.

Lafkadio
Lafkadio Posted Thu 06 Mar, 2008 9:08 PM Quote
I love 12 memories, actually i happen to think it's the band's greatest album yet. Looking back at old Travis i do see a slight difference in the way the songs were arranged but overally i think it's a very versitile album. How ever, that's all coming from a life long fan. I mean i have listened to Travis long enough to know how to appreciate the randomness in the lyric or any other quality that has made Travis the greatest band on the face of the earth to a lot of us, but the truth is, we can't expect the public to react in the same way. I noticed someone mentioning Snowpatrol. The thing about Snowpatrol is that they make catchy music, i was personally blown away when i heard Chasing Cars for the first time. Charts are made by first impressions. That's why pop songs or pop-punk songs are always at the top. What i like to call easy music. I don't mean that rich music can't get great reviews, it would be a pretty dumb thing for me to say, but really we see alot of bogus going on top too. Good music requires time. Sometimes it takes me years to realize that i like an album. I didn't like Big Chair the first 4 times i listened to it but then i decided that it was one of my favourite Travis songs. You're willing to put that time and energy into a band that you care about but for an ordinary indie fan who's been dragged to this type of music by a band like Snowpatrol, Big Chair is another mediocre dull song that isn't worth a second shot.
I do think that 12 memories is underrated and though it doesn't take away anything from it's value, it's critical to any band's survival that it gets good public reviews. And i don't just mean that about 12 memories, but also any other album they have or may release in the future.

Lafkadio
Lafkadio Posted Thu 06 Mar, 2008 9:09 PM Quote

Lafkadio
Lafkadio Posted Thu 06 Mar, 2008 9:12 PM Quote
Sorry guys. I made such a mess!!

bara
bara Posted Fri 07 Mar, 2008 9:26 AM Quote
mess happens ;)

i remember i was on a travel with our caravan (mobile home) when i first listened to it. it was a very sunny day and i fell in love with midlife crysis. and all those othergreat songs.

and happy to hang around is a great start song for a concert ("at the palace" - the start was sooo great!!)

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Fri 07 Mar, 2008 2:28 PM Quote
yulen10 wrote:
THE BENDS is another one of the best l.p´s ever made.
I like AMNESIAC but alive (Listen to I might be wrong Live Recordings EP, where 3 songs of it appear).
I recommend you Hail to the thief.. Above all: There there, 2+2=5, Sail to the moon, I will.

It´s difficult to say who are the greatest in History...
maybe THE BEATLES.. but RADIOHEAD are genious.

I heard quite a few of the Hail To The Thief tracks (about 9 or 10) on YouTube yesterday and today and i have to say, it's so much better than Amnesiac and Kid A. Look forward to getting it in a couple of weeks.

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 6:20 PM