Travis

12 Memories - So Under-rated
MoreThanMe
MoreThanMe Posted Wed 05 Mar, 2008 9:59 AM Quote
Just having a wee listen to the album, not for a while I must admit.

The overwhelming thought that strikes me with this particular album is, why was it so poorly recieved at the time of release. If Radiohead released the same album it would have been declared a masterpiece. But Travis somehow are not afforded the same luxury from the music critics.

I know, I know..... Critics are only one persons opinion.

But, this was universally panned.

I think this album is so mis-understood, most of all by the sadly lacking music press. it would be nice if with this next albumthey are falling over themselves for interviews due to the sheer brilliance of what im sure LP6 will be.

Re: 12 Memories - So Under-rated
bara
bara Posted Wed 05 Mar, 2008 10:18 AM Quote
i agree. i dont like the press for pushing someone... or making someone fall down. just because of their own opinion.
i think 12 memories is a very great album. at this time i use to listen to it so often (wrong grammar, sorry).... i really luv it

martina
martina Posted Wed 05 Mar, 2008 12:25 PM Quote
in my opinion it's their best album... most critics dismissed it 'cause they probably thought "Travis = happy and catchy music, so they can't make anything else" (funny they dismiss them when they make happy and catchy music too!)

Oskari
Oskari Posted Wed 05 Mar, 2008 1:24 PM Quote
"12 Memories" is a bit different Travis...but i love it. For example songs like "Mid-life Krysis", "How Many Hearts" & "Love Will Come Through" are pure gold!

bara
bara Posted Wed 05 Mar, 2008 1:46 PM Quote
love will come through - i love it so much.
i dont know what i would be without it.. ^^

yuzuki
yuzuki Posted Wed 05 Mar, 2008 2:57 PM Quote
12 memories is not a common album. Is about love and happiness, but in another sense.

Franny tries to express another feelings in this songs; Beutifull ocupation, for exemple. In the end, is love, but in another sense.

Some people says is dark and boring. I say that is tottaly illuminating!!

I'm agree that is under-rated.

TT.TT

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Wed 05 Mar, 2008 3:18 PM Quote
Travis are soooo under rated.
Radiohead are soooo over rated.

12 Memories is such a good album, better than Kid A and Amnesiac (Radiohead).

Not my favourite Travis album, but it's very good.

Conor14
Conor14 Posted Wed 05 Mar, 2008 4:04 PM Quote
i agree 100% it's one of my favourite albums ever. Musically and lyrically it's great. songs like quicksand and happy to hang around are hidden gems u will never hear if u only pay attention to singles.

choke the chicken
choke the chicken Posted Wed 05 Mar, 2008 4:13 PM Quote
I think its because it was a shock after such a light easy-listening invisible band. It's fair to say 12 memories is not exactly an album for the supermarket cd shopper.

It upset me when I saw this in MusicZone for £1. Funnily enough the store in Loughborough where I saw this, has now closed down.

There are some amazing songs on this album, I'm more a fan of the closing tracks such as Happy to Hang Around and Walking down this Hill. But all in all a good album, much better than producing 5 identical albums

yulen10
yulen10 Posted Wed 05 Mar, 2008 5:36 PM Quote
12 memories is a very good album, but the problem is that the 2 precedent albums are better. If The Man Who & The Invisible Band hadn´t exist, 12 memories would have got better qualifications. Comparisons are unavoidable even inside the same band.
I´ll add that, in my opinion, Radiohead are in another galaxy.
12 memories can´t be compared with KID A or AMNESIAC because their sounds are completely different. 12 memories could be compared with songs such as Exit Music, No surprises, Street Spirit, Fake Plastic Trees, How to disappear(this one is in Kid A), I will, Sail to the moon, etc..
I think TRAVIS are under-rated, but Radiohead are not over-rated at all.

moominbadger
moominbadger Posted Wed 05 Mar, 2008 5:47 PM Quote
I think it's a fantastic album, infact I think it's my favourite Travis album.

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Wed 05 Mar, 2008 7:42 PM Quote
I go through phases of liking each album, but at the moment my favourite is (just) 12 Ms. It's got proper guts, and they have a end goal to aim for, whereas TBWNN, whilst the songs are amazing, sounds a bit lost sometimes.

Unless Radiohead are incredible, they are probably slightly overrated, but some bands are so I'm not complaining. Ratedness is horribly subjective to what each person thinks, so general 'overrated'ness is very hard to confirm/deny.

warby
warby Posted Wed 05 Mar, 2008 7:50 PM Quote
It took me quite a few listens to get into "12 Memories" but it is now my fav Travis album.

Went on holiday with my brother-in-law when this came out (North Uist), he is a great musician/songwriter and we both agreed what an amazing peice of work it was. Also strange how the vocals were recorded with no reverb on them.

Cheers
Warby

choke the chicken
choke the chicken Posted Wed 05 Mar, 2008 9:13 PM Quote
Radiohead are definately not overated.

If any one deserves the overrated tag, I would gladly place it on Snow Patrol's shoulders. I dont see how they get so much more radio airplay than travis.

healyramirez
healyramirez Posted Thu 06 Mar, 2008 10:17 AM Quote
12 Memories is a great indie album. The b-sides of this album are in the top of b-sides.

For me is the second best Travis Album (1 the man who)

Pages [1] 2 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 1:06 AM