Travis

Have you ever done anything Important?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sun 02 Mar, 2008 11:17 PM Quote
Sometimes I feel like I just get up, take up natural resources and go back to sleep. I feel like I haven't done anything important. I mean like, capital "I" Important. (People always say that raising children is important, but a zillion people do that every day.) I'm talking about something unusual, or very special you may have done. Something more extraordinary.

Of course, Lemon Grinner has saved a life, so she's off the hook.

I'm not the type who is going to go off to join the Peace Corp or throw myself into purposeful charity work, but I would like to think that before I die, I will have done something that made my time on Earth worthwhile. I just have no idea what it could be.

My other school of thought is that perhaps we all do Important things nearly every day, though we may not know how important they are at the time. Little important things.

So, what about the rest of you? Opinions or something you've done.

Re: Have you ever done anything Important?
weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Sun 02 Mar, 2008 11:37 PM Quote
Recently read a book called "You Matter More than You Think." The main point was that esp. women can feel like if they aren't joining the Peace Corp and starting some social movement they aren't doing anything worthwhile in the world.

She doesn't discount any of that and encourages you to try and do what you can in those areas. But also not to discount the small day to day things. She had her friends for a few days write down things others had done for them that had made a difference.

All of them were small things like, "brought me dinner when I was sick," "babysat my child so I could go on a date," " gave me a hug when I was crying over XYZ," etc.

Her point is all of the small acts of kindness and service we do for those we love and don't even know can have a huge impact. Things that have meant the most to me are all small but they turned around a day or a moment for me.

Esteban
Esteban Posted Sun 02 Mar, 2008 11:41 PM Quote
The time wasted worrying about doing important things could be used to do something important.

Rhoobarb
Rhoobarb Posted Sun 02 Mar, 2008 11:44 PM Quote
It doesn't have to be a big thing to be an important thing.

What you might think is small, may mean a hell of a lot to someone else.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 03 Mar, 2008 12:35 AM Quote
Esteban wrote:
The time wasted worrying about doing important things could be used to do something important.

I know. The guilt is overwhelming. Thanks for pointing that out, buddy.

Esteban
Esteban Posted Mon 03 Mar, 2008 12:52 AM Quote
I didn't mean to make you feel worse, just saying 'Don't sweat it'. Everyone has a way to contribute to the world, yours is no less valuable than anyone elses.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 03 Mar, 2008 12:54 AM Quote
Esteban wrote:
I didn't mean to make you feel worse, just saying 'Don't sweat it'. Everyone has a way to contribute to the world, yours is no less valuable than anyone elses.

I was going for dry humor. Maybe I should have put a ;-)

Esteban
Esteban Posted Mon 03 Mar, 2008 12:57 AM Quote
This is one of the things I hate about boards.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Mon 03 Mar, 2008 1:53 AM Quote
i gave up six years of my life to spread yankee imperialism

Esteban
Esteban Posted Mon 03 Mar, 2008 2:03 AM Quote
ricv64 wrote:
i gave up six years of my life to spread yankee imperialism

I think the Soma diaries will go down in history as an influential piece of work.

bara
bara Posted Mon 03 Mar, 2008 8:34 AM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Sometimes I feel like I just get up, take up natural resources and go back to sleep. I feel like I haven't done anything important. I mean like, capitol "I" Important. (People always say that raising children is important, but a zillion people do that every day.) I'm talking about something unusual, or very special you may have done. Something more extraordinary.

Of course, Lemon Grinner has saved a life, so she's off the hook.

I'm not the type who is going to go off to join the Peace Corp or throw myself into purposeful charity work, but I would like to think that before I die, I will have done something that made my time on Earth worthwhile. I just have no idea what it could be.

My other school of thought is that perhaps we all do Important things nearly every day, though we may not know how important they are at the time. Little important things.

So, what about the rest of you? Opinions or something you've done.

raising a child is very very important. and you are someone! dont think such stuff. in every little thing is something good. even if you just help someone finding the right way.

i feel the same as you sometimes. but .. well its really like this. im smiling if someone smiles at me. thats as important as life itself. when you just recognize, someome recognizes you and smiles at you. isnt that enough? im a bit romantic i guess ^^

and think of your family and your friends. what would they be without you?

im talking so much and at least dont know what exactly i wanna say. i feel confused right now. ^^

bara
bara Posted Mon 03 Mar, 2008 8:40 AM Quote
Esteban wrote:
This is one of the things I hate about boards.

yep the bad thing on writing is that you never can see the emotion of it or the face, what the writer looks like when he/she s writing.. ^^

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Mon 03 Mar, 2008 10:28 AM Quote
I have saved 2 lives. The story will end there.

Esteban
Esteban Posted Mon 03 Mar, 2008 10:38 AM Quote
Good on yer Gladleh.

moominbadger
moominbadger Posted Mon 03 Mar, 2008 10:38 AM Quote
I help save lives by doing my job. That's kinda important!

Pages [1] 2 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 2:08 PM