Travis

You got to check this kid out: Josiah Leming
Soulslug
Soulslug Posted Thu 21 Feb, 2008 1:43 PM Quote
Yes, I'm talking about the arrogant cry baby with a bit of an ego from American Idol, who lived in his car and was eliminated just before the top 24.

http://kiksu.irc-galleria.net/i/images12/00/41/63/56/hosting/josi.jpg

The fact that he screwed up in the competition might just be the best thing ever happened to him.
'Major record labels' as he told are already having a war over him, but (surprisingly) the 18-year-old is keeping his feet in the ground and might go indie because he's afraid that "they would like to change and then own my music", which is reasonable.

Even though he's quite an actor sometimes and way over sensitive, the moment he starts singing it's all good; pure and true. I really haven't been this excited over a new music for a long time.
Of course Josiah is a rough diamond and needs to learn to control his voice a bit better, but I can't wait to see the developement the guy is gonna go through now that he has the real chance to hit it off. And the fantastic thing is that he's young and has all the time in the world. I really hope we are going to hear a lot from him.

Oh and he mentions Travis as one of his main influences among with Radiohead (quite Tom Yorke few times), Coldplay, Remy Zero and others, and you can definitely hear that. Since there's lots of (wicked) piano, it's very Keane-ish as well. Josiah's lyrics are really open and poetic, plus very mature for someone his age. Here we have another 'british american' then (the judges from the AI even pointed out that he sings with a british accent).
But the main thing is that he clearly has is own thing going on and he's very devoted to that. Plus his holding a huge talent.

If I got you interested, have a listen at
His MySpace.

You can buy all his 17 songs he has made(I did, only 15£!) but unfortunately I can't come up with the site right now.

He has few videos on YouTube as well, including probably my favourite song from him, One Last Song.
Also Her, They Say and To Run are mind-blowing to me, and the list just goes on because none of his songs are even close to bad.

Have a listen. Am I just temporarily blinded by him or do you too think this kiddo has something to give?

Re: You got to check this kid out: Josiah Leming
cornax
cornax Posted Thu 21 Feb, 2008 3:49 PM Quote
My husband was so sad that he didn't make it but I agree that it's probably for the best. I was a bit more put off by his faux accent but I can understand how it came about. He has obviously spent countless hours singing along with his favorite bands who are mainly (exclusively?) British. He definitely has heart and soul and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he ended up with a solid career.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 21 Feb, 2008 5:19 PM Quote
I missed the Josiah Leming episode of American Idol. I only saw just a bit of him in the audition.

He can really wail on the piano. Nice poetic songs. Yeah, he has a good shot as being a star!

The fake accent--ha ha. I can imagine, that since he's from Georgia, he is trying very hard not to sound southern and so he goes for British. In a way, the deep south drop their "r's" (think Scarlett O'Hara) and it isn't that far a stretch. My daughter had a difficult time with her speech when she was younger and people used to say she was a cross between British and a Southern Belle.

carlottarocks
carlottarocks Posted Thu 21 Feb, 2008 6:00 PM Quote
I loved the kid and was pissed off when he didn't make it through. But, yea, maybe for the best.

The fake accent bugged me a bit too, but it was kinda cute at the same time. I think it would've bugged me more if he were, say, 25 or something, I let it slide being he's still a kid.

juuuli
juuuli Posted Thu 21 Feb, 2008 6:03 PM Quote
I saw him on American Idol last week (I think we're a week behind America in AI airings here in Finland) and I thought he was very good. This guy sounded great and I really hoped that he'd do well in the competition. Apparantely he did not make it to the top 24 but I'm sure he'll have a great career ahead of him. Hope so. Oh, I liked his fake british accent :D

craftycathy
craftycathy Posted Fri 22 Feb, 2008 5:57 PM Quote
I just heard he was on Ellen earlier this week and was bummed I missed it, but thank goodness for youtube!

Clicky for the interview and a song

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 24 Feb, 2010 9:50 PM Quote
I check in on him every once in a while for some reason. It made me laugh that he chose the "Travis font" (as we call it) for his T-shirt. Being that he's a Travis fan, I'm sure it's intentional. Josiah

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 11:38 AM