Travis

Re: Ode to J. Smith
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Sun 10 Feb, 2008 8:01 PM Quote
Ok, here it is. There are some things that I had to guess, because I couldn't find them.
I used to study Latin ages ago, so it's NOT a good translation. But it's an attempt anyway XD.

Salve, pia anima
Hail, pious soul

Labor tuus nunc ad terminum,
Your work now to end

Sed, per deos, vade retro!
But, by the gods, go back!

Nomen nusquam video
I don't see a name anywhere

Carbo in culo in aeternitatem,
Coal in ??? in eternity

Placet Satanae te vedere.
It is agreed Satan ??? you*** (see Edit)

"Culo"... I have no idea what it means in latin. In spanish it means "ass" so... I can only guess... Maybe they wanted to say "caelo", which means "sky". Or "oculo" that means "eye".

"Vedere", in italian "to see". In latin it'd be "videre", but it's an infinitive so it doesn't quite fit, so once again, I have no idea xD.

Sorry! Monica knows a lot of latin, she could do a proper translation.

***EDIT: I change my translation for the last line, I think it means:

"It pleases Satan to see you"

elodie
elodie Posted Sun 10 Feb, 2008 8:05 PM Quote
ok then, I have a translation (forgive me, my english is very bad :S)

'Hail Pious soul
Your work will be effective until the end
But for god sake, move back
I can't see your name anywhere
Thrown back ashes for the eternity
It will please Satan to see you'

really strange lyrics by the way... Fran really wrote them?

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Sun 10 Feb, 2008 8:09 PM Quote
elodie wrote:

'Hail Pious soul
I can't see your name somewhere

Much better than mine, thanks!!!

moominbadger
moominbadger Posted Sun 10 Feb, 2008 8:10 PM Quote
wow, I'm really impressed by how many of you know some Latin!! In England you only get to study Latin if you go to a grammar or private school. Is this the case any where else?

elodie
elodie Posted Sun 10 Feb, 2008 8:11 PM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:
elodie wrote:

'Hail Pious soul
I can't see your name somewhere

Much better than mine, thanks!!!

yours is fine too! :)

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Sun 10 Feb, 2008 8:15 PM Quote
moominbadger wrote:
wow, I'm really impressed by how many of you know some Latin!! In England you only get to study Latin if you go to a grammar or private school. Is this the case any where else?

I went to a public school and had four years of latin, can't remember much (or should I say anything xD). But it wasn't a standard public school, it was related to the University Of Buenos Aires (also public), so it's not like you study Latin in every public school. Or in any school for that matter. I only know two highschools that teach latin in Buenos Aires.

Thanks Elodie :o)

elodie
elodie Posted Sun 10 Feb, 2008 8:16 PM Quote
moominbadger wrote:

In France, in theory, you can learn Latin at school then at High School (but there are not many students who take this option)
I'm studying Latin for 7 years now, I am in high school and I will take my final exam this year... :) I really like it and I think I will study Latin next year at the uni if I can

jesusaremus
jesusaremus Posted Sun 10 Feb, 2008 8:16 PM Quote
yes, i think is refered to a person which name you don't know, i mean, john smith is a very very common name, but if i'm not wrong it is used to refered to a person you are talking to, but you don't know his name, (i don't know if can be a woman?) you know, john smith, and sometimes joe doe, in spanish (or at lleast here in mexico) we use "fulanito" to a person we don't know it's name, i think in USA it's j john doe, and john smith, and by the latin you've already trnaslate it look it refers this, in the part "i can't see your name anywhere"

Lucile
Lucile Posted Sun 10 Feb, 2008 8:53 PM Quote
moominbadger wrote:

Latin is an optional course in high school in France. I had to choose between Maths and Latin. Seeing as I hated maths, I picked Latin but we had a terrible teacher so I don't remember much of it.

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sun 10 Feb, 2008 9:11 PM Quote
oneofthe3 wrote:
John Smith is the most common name in the UK, I think. So I just took it as an ode to the man on the street, rather than anyone specific.

Yeah, after reading the lyrics I would agree. I think John Doe is the American equivalent.
EDIT: I would use it as a general person, like a stereotype of an ordinary man, hence the suit and that kind of thing. I think there's something slightly scary about the unknownness, there's a silhouette, but no details, and that's what Fran's getting at.
Is the 'radio in the bath' suicide (electrifying himself), or am I being a bit dramatic? :)

Thanks for the posts of the lyrics and setlist and the translations - your latin is very good!

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Sun 10 Feb, 2008 9:12 PM Quote
oneofthe3 wrote:
John Smith is the most common name in the UK, I think. So I just took it as an ode to the man on the street, rather than anyone specific.

Its kinda got a special meaning for me cus I've just been sacked by a J Smith!! ....(I'm not the type to go quietly haha)

Ode to J Smith = Explosion!

carlottarocks
carlottarocks Posted Sun 10 Feb, 2008 9:31 PM Quote
JohnSmith wrote:
mili wrote:
Found this interesting bit of speculation
"NEW TRAVIS ALBUM "ODE TO J. SMITH" (TBC) SUMMER 2008!"
here
http://www.funvote.com/fun/travisvote/

There was the t-shirt, lyrics...

what do you think?

And, who's J. Smith?

I'm John Smith.

Tell us more about yourself Mr. Smith.

jesusaremus
jesusaremus Posted Sun 10 Feb, 2008 9:41 PM Quote
Somewhere Else wrote:
oneofthe3 wrote:

Its kinda got a special meaning for me cus I've just been sacked by a J Smith!! ....(I'm not the type to go quietly haha)

you should sing your own j. smith version, it would be interesting to see it :)

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sun 10 Feb, 2008 9:55 PM Quote
Oh, gee whiz. Sounds like a real toe tapper.

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Sun 10 Feb, 2008 10:03 PM Quote
jesusaremus wrote:
Somewhere Else wrote:
oneofthe3 wrote:

you should sing your own j. smith version, it would be interesting to see it :)

LOL - yes but looking at the tracks - Long Way Down , Broken Mirror, Get Up, Last Word, Before You Were Here ....Theres only 'Punch Your Lights Out' missing so I could sing that heehee

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 4 Next All Times BST Current Time 11:35 PM