Travis

FAO: "Friends" singers
Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sun 20 Jan, 2008 10:06 PM Quote
For those of you who are not regular performers (I think that includes most of us), do you find it easier to post your version of "Friends" here, where it is being heard by people in over a dozen countries on four continents, than it is to play it for, say your parents or your husband/wife or boyfriend/girlfriend?

For some reason, I found it very hard to let my husband hear it. I haven't even told my best friends. I've sung in front of my husband when we're joking around and being silly, but I've never really "sung out" in a serious way, trying to sing well. (Yes, folks, I was actually trying to sing well!) It seems like it should be easier to sing in front of people we love, but for me, it's harder. Just wondered if anyone else feels this way, too?

Re: FAO:
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Sun 20 Jan, 2008 10:12 PM Quote
I didn't do a version of Friends, but I record some songs in my singing lessons and at the begining, for like three months I never showed them to anyone. Then I started to show it to a few friends through internet. I can't sing to nobody in person, I mean, face to face. So I feel the same way, it's easier for me to show it to someone that I don't have to see face to face than to someone I see "in real life".

I'm very shy :oP

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Sun 20 Jan, 2008 10:47 PM Quote
Yeah I definitely think it's easier showing/playing songs to people who are essentially strangers. I guess the opinions and judgements of those people we know well are more important to us, so we basically have more to lose - there's more on the line. But equally I think it means more to me if people who I know like it.

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Sun 20 Jan, 2008 10:53 PM Quote
I didn't do a version of Friends either, as it would cause your deafness and my neverending embarrassment, BUT I've always found it easier to perform in front of people I don't really know (even face to face) than in front of my closest ones. At least that's how I remember it from my school plays experiences.

Eledh
Eledh Posted Sun 20 Jan, 2008 11:23 PM Quote
I'm not a shy person, I can tell you that but...
I never sing or play in front of my biological family.
I just let my best friend shoot the video but... I'm used to sing and play in front of him... So it wasn't a problem...
But my grandma will never see it.
I don't let my family see my tattoos too... You can imagine that I will never let them see me sing and play any instruments XD
I don't know why I'm like this... I just think... Music is everything for me... I can express myself with music more than with anything else. So... I guess I don't want them to find who I really am.
Just my two mums and my best friend can hear me play and sing.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Mon 21 Jan, 2008 5:10 AM Quote
I would say I'm a little shy at first, but don't really have a problem singing in front of my boyfriend or my family. My brother Dave is an amazing guitar player and I always ask him to sing while he plays and he never does it!! So yesterday I got my acoustic out and started playing "Sing" for him, lol, but instead of "Baby, you've been goin' so crazy" I sang "Davey, you've been going so crazy" :O) He liked it and actually started to sing a little with me.

Ursina
Ursina Posted Mon 21 Jan, 2008 11:31 AM Quote
I can't sing to anybody full stop!! I'm ok together with other people, even with just one another person but me on me own, no way !

paul_c
paul_c Posted Mon 21 Jan, 2008 2:04 PM Quote
I don't fit into this group, but i can confirm that the same is true on the opposite side. When i've got a new song, i'm always straight to my Dad like 'aw Dad, wait til you hear this..' because i know he's musical and i know he'll give me a proper musical opinion on it. He doesn't tend to generally like the music i make, but if he likes a song of mine he'll tell me. If he doesn't he'll tell me as well. So he's really the hardest person to please. If he likes a song, then i can almost be sure that other people will like it to

bara
bara Posted Mon 21 Jan, 2008 4:58 PM Quote
Eledh wrote:
I just let my best friend shoot the video but... I'm used to sing and play in front of him... So it wasn't a problem...
I don't let my family see my tattoos too... You can imagine that I will never let them see me sing and play any instruments XD
I don't know why I'm like this... I just think... Music is everything for me... I can express myself with music more than with anything else. So... I guess I don't want them to find who I really am.

and us. thanks a lot for that =)

bara
bara Posted Mon 21 Jan, 2008 5:00 PM Quote
paul_c wrote:
I don't fit into this group, but i can confirm that the same is true on the opposite side. When i've got a new song, i'm always straight to my Dad like 'aw Dad, wait til you hear this..' because i know he's musical and i know he'll give me a proper musical opinion on it. He doesn't tend to generally like the music i make, but if he likes a song of mine he'll tell me. If he doesn't he'll tell me as well. So he's really the hardest person to please. If he likes a song, then i can almost be sure that other people will like it to

thats definetely good. as long as you both havent a fight about a song..

bara
bara Posted Mon 21 Jan, 2008 5:05 PM Quote
well.. for me.. i guess it belongs to the mood im in. i have -mostly- no problem to sing in front of other people. as long as i can be sure it wont sound too bad. and i think as long as i havent written (grammar?) this song.

when i showed "friends" to some friends i was totally excited and frightened. and when i put it in here i was totally excited, too.

when i write own texts its very hard for me to show it to someone. not my family, mostly not my friends,.. hard but true. singing is not the problem, but singin own texts,..

---X im writing quite confusing right now, aint i? sorry for that

elodie
elodie Posted Mon 21 Jan, 2008 6:14 PM Quote
actually, I really don't mind to sing in front of other people, especially when I am with my band because we have a lot of fun and we are all together (we made for example last year a little 'gig' in my high school)... but I am very shy when I have to play my own little songs in front of my parents or of my best mates :-)

Eledh
Eledh Posted Mon 21 Jan, 2008 8:27 PM Quote
bara wrote:
Eledh wrote:

and us. thanks a lot for that =)

Well... You're friends :P
So... It's ok *_*
<3

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 21 Jan, 2008 9:59 PM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:

I'm very shy :oP

Me, too.

mozman68
mozman68 Posted Mon 21 Jan, 2008 11:59 PM Quote
I'm not shy at all...and I will sing other people's songs in front of my wife...but I couldn't do it with this one. Coward in the basement to record it away from anyone who could hear...

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 7:46 PM