Travis

Re: What stuff would you like in the new album?
heyjude
heyjude Posted Sat 19 Jan, 2008 11:51 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
What's Ben Stiller's Cowbell Song? 'Cause all I know is, I got a fever, and the only prescription is MORE COWBELL!

HA HA! that's totally classic, turtleneck! :-)

as for me, i'd like to have more andy on banjo. please?

Nikki
Nikki Posted Sun 20 Jan, 2008 12:09 AM Quote
heyjude wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:
What's Ben Stiller's Cowbell Song? 'Cause all I know is, I got a fever, and the only prescription is MORE COWBELL!

HA HA! that's totally classic, turtleneck! :-)

as for me, i'd like to have more andy on banjo. please?

Oh yes...more banjo would be great!

Nikki
Nikki Posted Sun 20 Jan, 2008 12:29 AM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
And certainly no hidden songs because that's pathetic.

I disagree. I'm not really sure how many other bands do hidden tracks...but I think it's kinda cool, especially if you've got a great song that doesn't really fit well on the album, but you want to get out to the people. I think the best example of this is "Blue Flashing Light"...that song is freakin' amazing...but it's far to rock and roll to be a part of The Man Who's cool mellowness. Same thing goes for "Some Sad Song" on 12 Memories ... but in the case of "Sailing Away" (which I LOVE), I think it actually could have been a great song to end TBWNN.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 20 Jan, 2008 12:36 AM Quote
Nikki wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:

I disagree. I'm not really sure how many other bands do hidden tracks...but I think it's kinda cool, especially if you've got a great song that doesn't really fit well on the album, but you want to get out to the people. I think the best example of this is "Blue Flashing Light"...that song is freakin' amazing...but it's far to rock and roll to be a part of The Man Who's cool mellowness. Same thing goes for "Some Sad Song" on 12 Memories ... but in the case of "Sailing Away" (which I LOVE), I think it actually could have been a great song to end TBWNN.

Some bands still do it, although not as much nowadays. It used to be fun but now its silly. So do you mean you wait a couple of minutes or do you spin it on? Because if you spin it on it might as well have been on the album, and if you wait for it... well it's kind of silly. Blue Flashing Light would have been fine as the 11th track.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Sun 20 Jan, 2008 12:42 AM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
Nikki wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:

Some bands still do it, although not as much nowadays. It used to be fun but now its silly. So do you mean you wait a couple of minutes or do you spin it on? Because if you spin it on it might as well have been on the album, and if you wait for it... well it's kind of silly. Blue Flashing Light would have been fine as the 11th track.

Sometimes I fast forward to the hidden track, sometimes I don't play it at all if I'm not in the mood and sometimes, if I'm driving with other people, I'll just forget about it when the album ends and then when it comes up a few minutes later it's a nice surprise.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 20 Jan, 2008 12:46 AM Quote
Nikki wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:
Nikki wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:

Sometimes I fast forward to the hidden track, sometimes I don't play it at all if I'm not in the mood and sometimes, if I'm driving with other people, I'll just forget about it when the album ends and then when it comes up a few minutes later it's a nice surprise.

Fair enough. I just find it a total anti climax to the album.

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sun 20 Jan, 2008 12:23 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:

Fair enough. I just find it a total anti climax to the album.

I think hidden tracks are good, like with BFL, to get a different sounding track onto an album, but there shouldn't be a long gap imo. It means it doesn't fit in at all. Sailing Away is ludicrously far from the end of TBWNN.

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sun 20 Jan, 2008 12:28 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:

I always prefer 10/11 perfect tracks, that does leave you wanting more. It leaves you thinking how brilliant the band are. When you have to start skipping tracks, it ruins it. BUT yes, if all the tracks are great, you don't skip, but like i said, a double album is very hard to take in.

Double albums are normally awful. Travis are a great band but i think a shorter album would suit this new rocky sound. Quick blast of an album.

To go back a few posts, it's good to hear many tracks if you're a big fan, but not if you have to skip tracks all the time. I find the end of TBWNN is punctuated by me skipping tracks, they just don't particularly interest me.

Imo, Travis aren't that great at making a whole album sound good; they write the songs but then sometimes it doesn't turn out as well as you might hope. I'd prefer slightly more frequent, shorter albums to long ones, and they can release the left-overs as b-sides so the big fans can still get the same number of tracks.

Fran
Fran Posted Sun 20 Jan, 2008 1:01 PM Quote
ricv64 wrote:
some tremelo , feedback , distortion and some mad minor 7th chords

Check. Check. Check and Check.

Fran
Fran Posted Sun 20 Jan, 2008 1:03 PM Quote
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:

I always prefer 10/11 perfect tracks, that does leave you wanting more. It leaves you thinking how brilliant the band are. When you have to start skipping tracks, it ruins it. BUT yes, if all the tracks are great, you don't skip, but like i said, a double album is very hard to take in.

Double albums are normally awful. Travis are a great band but i think a shorter album would suit this new rocky sound. Quick blast of an album.

Double albums and shit on door handles are one and the same.

To go back a few posts, it's good to hear many tracks if you're a big fan, but not if you have to skip tracks all the time. I find the end of TBWNN is punctuated by me skipping tracks, they just don't particularly interest me.

Imo, Travis aren't that great at making a whole album sound good; they write the songs but then sometimes it doesn't turn out as well as you might hope. I'd prefer slightly more frequent, shorter albums to long ones, and they can release the left-overs as b-sides so the big fans can still get the same number of tracks.

TheInvisibleBoy
TheInvisibleBoy Posted Sun 20 Jan, 2008 2:02 PM Quote
I'd love if the b-side Pulling Mussels from a Shell was one of the tracks, but yeah I'd also like another Andy epic solo similar to the As You Are one, and possibly a rockier track, similar to Tied to the 90s. But I don't mind really, I'm sure it'll be great, I'd just like it to have a similar sound to the other Travis albums really, sort of calm and laidback but with a bit of a rockier edge on some tracks.

FranFlower
FranFlower Posted Sun 20 Jan, 2008 2:21 PM Quote
Fran wrote:
ricv64 wrote:
some tremelo , feedback , distortion and some mad minor 7th chords

Check. Check. Check and Check.

Sounds brilliant! Couldn't ask for more :) Now I can't wait to hear the boardies reaction to the gigs next month! Seriously, I can't even sit still in front of the computer, I need to go practice some taekwon-do or something :P Kihap!

*wanders off with silly grin on face*
:P

Monica
Monica Posted Sun 20 Jan, 2008 4:37 PM Quote
I don't want anything in particular (talking about music). But I second what somebody said (don't remember the name, sorry :p): I want more pictures in the booklet. I remember an album by an Italian singer, who told how he wrote every song, and it was really interesting!

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 20 Jan, 2008 4:40 PM Quote
Monica wrote:
I don't want anything in particular (talking about music). But I second what somebody said (don't remember the name, sorry :p): I want more pictures in the booklet. I remember an album by an Italian singer, who told how he wrote every song, and it was really interesting!

I agree with that. I hate it when you get it out and its just a floppy bit of paper. I love lyrics, pictures and stuff you can read as you listen to the album for the first time. Travis have always been very good at that.

FranFlower
FranFlower Posted Sun 20 Jan, 2008 4:47 PM Quote
Fran wrote:
Double albums and shit on door handles are one and the same.

Haha, nice one. So I take it there'll be no double album then :P

Pages Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next All Times BST Current Time 10:32 PM