Travis

Jazz
paul_c
paul_c Posted Thu 17 Jan, 2008 3:34 PM Quote
I'm currently listening to Kind Of Blue by Miles Davis. I love it! It really helps with the concentration and boredom of doing yet another essay.

Later on i'm going to listen to Cool Imagination by Paul Desmond, and then perhaps Night Train by the Oscar Peterson Trio. I love a bit of jazz!

Anyone else partial to jazz music?

Re: Jazz
haz
haz Posted Thu 17 Jan, 2008 3:37 PM Quote
me.

fan of the west coast cool jazz sound.

check out the following platters for some sweet tones, maan:

chet baker sings

art pepper meets the rhythm section

dig.

mozman68
mozman68 Posted Thu 17 Jan, 2008 3:38 PM Quote
I've always enjoyed Thelonius Monk....Weather Report on the modern side as well as Jaco Pastorius (I actually met him on the streets of NYC at 2 a.m. when I missed the bus home after seeing The Art of Noise play their first concert....and Dwayne Eddy was there to play guitar!!)

Why does every post I make today make me feel so old??

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Thu 17 Jan, 2008 3:39 PM Quote
ayup
kinda blue is perfect.

A good short history would be

Jelly roll Morton leads to Duke Ellington leads to Thelonius Monk leads to Sun Ra

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Thu 17 Jan, 2008 3:41 PM Quote
mozman68 wrote:
I've always enjoyed Thelonius Monk....Weather Report on the modern side as well as Jaco Pastorius (I actually met him on the streets of NYC at 2 a.m. when I missed the bus home after seeing The Art of Noise play their first concert....and Dwayne Eddy was there to play guitar!!)

Why does every post I make today make me feel so old??

dude I saw jaco twice, that dude destroyed his bass , what I tell you the cusp.

Art Pepper meets the rythm section !

paul_c
paul_c Posted Thu 17 Jan, 2008 3:41 PM Quote
haz wrote:
me.

chet baker sings

dig.

My Dad's got Chet Baker sings. I think i've some of his stuff on iTunes, so i'll definitely check it out.

I don't know if the stuff i like fits into a particular genre of jazz, but i've been told it could be defined as 'Cool Jazz'. I should also listen to Cantaloupe Island by Herbie Hancock soon. Brilliant album!

haz
haz Posted Thu 17 Jan, 2008 3:43 PM Quote
paul_c wrote:
haz wrote:
me.

chet baker sings

dig.

My Dad's got Chet Baker sings. I think i've some of his stuff on iTunes, so i'll definitely check it out.

I don't know if the stuff i like fits into a particular genre of jazz, but i've been told it could be defined as 'Cool Jazz'. I should also listen to Cantaloupe Island by Herbie Hancock soon. Brilliant album!

'kind of blue' is cool jazz so you're on the right track there.

"take five" is a great disc too by dave brubeck.

hancock...teehee. sorry...that's not very jazz is it.

paul_c
paul_c Posted Thu 17 Jan, 2008 3:46 PM Quote
Cantaloupe Island is, certainly. It's before he did all that 'freaky' stuff. I don't like that.

Stuff like John McLaughlin and the Mahavishnu Orchestra- i don't consider all that fusion crap to be jazz. It's just noise. Awful!

Paul Desmond did some stuff with the Dave Brubeck Quartet didn't he? I rate Paul Desmond!

haz
haz Posted Thu 17 Jan, 2008 3:49 PM Quote
paul_c wrote:
Cantaloupe Island is, certainly. It's before he did all that 'freaky' stuff. I don't like that.

Stuff like John McLaughlin and the Mahavishnu Orchestra- i don't consider all that fusion crap to be jazz. It's just noise. Awful!

Paul Desmond did some stuff with the Dave Brubeck Quartet didn't he? I rate Paul Desmond!

Paul Desmond, yep on the auld alto sax, *eamonn dunphy voice* great playah, great playah.

funnily enough the Govenor of the great state of Massachusetts, Deval Patrick, his da played with Sun Ra hey that rhymes.

paul_c
paul_c Posted Thu 17 Jan, 2008 3:57 PM Quote
haz wrote:
paul_c wrote:

Paul Desmond, yep on the auld alto sax, *eamonn dunphy voice* great playah, great playah.

funnily enough the Govenor of the great state of Massachusetts, Deval Patrick, his da played with Sun Ra hey that rhymes.

Haha, Eamonn Dunphy. What a ledge!

paul_c
paul_c Posted Thu 17 Jan, 2008 4:01 PM Quote
Oh my god, i forgot about Wes Montgomery!!

*goes and cleans self thoroughly*

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Thu 17 Jan, 2008 4:06 PM Quote
Go for Chet, he's the man, his version of My funny Valentine is a cult...and everything he's either played or sang. I've been addictd for the past 20 years. Check out "let's get lost", movie about him.
I particularly love jazz singers Ella, Billy, Sarah, Franky etc...but Nat King Cole remains the master. He's a signing lesson in person and the man smoke like a chimney!

paul_c
paul_c Posted Thu 17 Jan, 2008 4:16 PM Quote
Smoking sometimes helps the voice..

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Thu 17 Jan, 2008 4:22 PM Quote
paul_c wrote:
Smoking sometimes helps the voice..

for a rough voice yeah but really not for a clear high pitched one. In fact the difference is very noticable in Fran's voice since he's quit (I think he did because the last album with Clay's arrival?).
But Nat King Cole...god I tell you, no other voice can be smoother...and he died of bloody lung cancer!
Since I've also quit smoking (pregnancy is very convincing!!) my voice is really lighter and easier...do you smoke?

bara
bara Posted Thu 17 Jan, 2008 4:29 PM Quote
unfortunately i sont know much about that genre (singers, songs, ..) but love it anyway. I like to sing swing, blues, jazz, all those stuff..played in a big band, too.. xD

its a great kinda music

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 10:36 PM