...how about a gangsta' rap version??

Um, I'd prefer not!

I think I would be interesting ;D

Please do it!!!!!!

Re: The Official
Nikki
Nikki Posted Thu 10 Jan, 2008 6:20 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
I made up my own version last night in bed while I was trying to fall asleep. I don't know if I can translate what's in my mind into reality, though! It is interesting to find out how different songwriters operate--melody first then lyrics or lyrics first, then melody. If someone had given me a melody and I had to come up with lyrics, I would have found that easier then doing it the other way around. I also found it hard to stay original. Other song melodies kept popping in, and then I'd think, nooo, that's already been done. It was fun to try. I wish I had a better singing voice. Or was a good enough musician that my playing would drown it out!

When I write songs I always come up with words and melody at the same time. I just pick up my guitar and start strumming and humming at the same time and then the humms turn into words. I find that easiest. I also find that if I'm laboring over a song for days and days it's not worth it. The best songs I've written have taken me like 5 minutes, lol.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 10 Jan, 2008 6:23 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:

When I write songs I always come up with words and melody at the same time. I just pick up my guitar and start strumming and humming at the same time and then the humms turn into words. I find that easiest. I also find that if I'm laboring over a song for days and days it's not worth it. The best songs I've written have taken me like 5 minutes, lol.

So those are the ones you're going to sing at Baseline? Ha ha!

Nikki
Nikki Posted Thu 10 Jan, 2008 6:47 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Nikki wrote:

So those are the ones you're going to sing at Baseline? Ha ha!

:P

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Thu 10 Jan, 2008 7:14 PM Quote
Fran has really started something here - What a creating force he is As Amy would say - Lets start a Band lets start a Band lets start a Band lets start a Band!

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Thu 10 Jan, 2008 7:23 PM Quote
Somewhere Else wrote:
Fran has really started something here - What a creating force he is As Amy would say - Lets start a Band lets start a Band lets start a Band lets start a Band!

Lol, a boardie band, I can imagine that being quite hideous!

I don't reckon there's actually a song called Friends at all, he's just getting us to write some songs for him ;)

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Thu 10 Jan, 2008 7:28 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:
I made up my own version last night in bed while I was trying to fall asleep. I don't know if I can translate what's in my mind into reality, though! It is interesting to find out how different songwriters operate--melody first then lyrics or lyrics first, then melody. If someone had given me a melody and I had to come up with lyrics, I would have found that easier then doing it the other way around. I also found it hard to stay original. Other song melodies kept popping in, and then I'd think, nooo, that's already been done. It was fun to try. I wish I had a better singing voice. Or was a good enough musician that my playing would drown it out!

So, technically, you write the melody first. http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x66/Jearoon2/Smilies/4-Wink.gif

99% of the time, I write melody first. Or I come up with a musical riff kinda thing, and develop from there. It's interesting though, the process of songwriting, and how people do it differently.

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Thu 10 Jan, 2008 7:34 PM Quote
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:

I don't reckon there's actually a song called Friends at all, he's just getting us to write some songs for him ;)

Yeah that's what I thought lol. He's got it sorted. Sits back in his armchair whilst we write the new album.

That would be quite a cool idea though...someone should do that some time. The fans come up with melodies, ideas, lyrics and stuff - then the band works with the ideas and records 'em. Would be a fun experiment. Whether it'd be any good is another matter...

Nikki
Nikki Posted Thu 10 Jan, 2008 7:51 PM Quote
Typing to Reach You wrote:
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:

Yeah that's what I thought lol. He's got it sorted. Sits back in his armchair whilst we write the new album.

That would be quite a cool idea though...someone should do that some time. The fans come up with melodies, ideas, lyrics and stuff - then the band works with the ideas and records 'em. Would be a fun experiment. Whether it'd be any good is another matter...

Can we get some of the profit of album sales? Just kidding :P

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 10 Jan, 2008 7:54 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

So, technically, you write the melody first. http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x66/Jearoon2/Smilies/4-Wink.gif

99% of the time, I write melody first. Or I come up with a musical riff kinda thing, and develop from there. It's interesting though, the process of songwriting, and how people do it differently.

I guess I'm more wordy than musical.
Anyway I did it! The tune in my head now has official chords to match! I only had to change one note because I couldn't figure out a chord that sounded right, so I scrapped it and went for something else. I don't know if I'll post it or not (kinda shy about such things) but it was a fun creative exercise.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Thu 10 Jan, 2008 7:58 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Nikki wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

I guess I'm more wordy than musical.
Anyway I did it! The tune in my head now has official chords to match! I only had to change one note because I couldn't figure out a chord that sounded right, so I scrapped it and went for something else. I don't know if I'll post it or not (kinda shy about such things) but it was a fun creative exercise.

Groovy! :D I understand if you're too shy to post it...I'm that way too! But it would be cool to see!!! :)

Yulia Nox
Yulia Nox Posted Thu 10 Jan, 2008 8:01 PM Quote
Hey Nikki!
When are you showing us your version?!

moominbadger
moominbadger Posted Thu 10 Jan, 2008 8:48 PM Quote
I can't seem to come up with anything decent so is it cheating if I put my boyfriend's version on here instead? He's recording it at the moment and it sounds really cool!!

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Thu 10 Jan, 2008 9:01 PM Quote
Kayte, Nikki and Laura, I want to listen to your versions!!!! Pppplllleeeeaaaaassseee!

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 10 Jan, 2008 9:11 PM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:
Kayte, Nikki and Laura, I want to listen to your versions!!!! Pppplllleeeeaaaaassseee!

I tell you what...I'll record it and I'll let you and Nikki review it and you guys can tell me if it is Board Worthy. The thing is, I can't record it until Monday. I have an errand tomorrow afternoon and I don't foresee having any "alone time" until Monday. I can't have people around when I do this!

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Times BST Current Time 4:35 AM