Travis

Re: Q: What's Your New Year's Resolution?
haz
haz Posted Wed 09 Jan, 2008 5:34 PM Quote
goosey_84 wrote:
haz wrote:
goosey_84 wrote:
gonna be more 'domesticated' this year...especially in the kitchen! haha

nice to see that this gene has finally activated in your DNA. now all you have to do is wait for the "Get Man Beer from Fridge" gene to kick-in and you'll be a complete woman.

lol glad to know i'm on my way! ;P

you're welcome :D

Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Wed 09 Jan, 2008 5:35 PM Quote
I'm gonna work hard at college so I can get good grades and bugger off to Manchester and soak myself in gravy.

=D

haz
haz Posted Wed 09 Jan, 2008 5:36 PM Quote
Lemon Grinner wrote:
I'm gonna work hard at college so I can get good grades and bugger off to Manchester and soak myself in gravy.

=D

hmmmm Bisto!

Lucile
Lucile Posted Wed 09 Jan, 2008 5:38 PM Quote
I'm going to work harder on my doctorate.

haz
haz Posted Wed 09 Jan, 2008 5:53 PM Quote
Lucile wrote:

oooh a smartypants eh? what's your doctorate on?

Lucile
Lucile Posted Wed 09 Jan, 2008 6:00 PM Quote
haz wrote:
Lucile wrote:

English linguistics and phonology. So far the title is "The relationship between the semantic and functional evolution of HAVE and its phonological realisations from the point of view of grammaticalisation". Basically, I study the pronunciation of HAVE. (I'm a geek, I know! But there is more to say on the topic than it looks!)

haz
haz Posted Wed 09 Jan, 2008 6:14 PM Quote
Lucile wrote:
haz wrote:
Lucile wrote:

English linguistics and phonology. So far the title is "The relationship between the semantic and functional evolution of HAVE and its phonological realisations from the point of view of grammaticalisation". Basically, I study the pronunciation of HAVE. (I'm a geek, I know! But there is more to say on the topic than it looks!)

:o

wow. so like with this phonology stuff you'll be giving arguments who vodafone is much better than orange and stuff like that right?

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Wed 09 Jan, 2008 6:33 PM Quote
Sort my life out. Make of that what you will :)

Lucile
Lucile Posted Wed 09 Jan, 2008 6:33 PM Quote
haz wrote:
Lucile wrote:
haz wrote:
Lucile wrote:

wow. so like with this phonology stuff you'll be giving arguments who vodafone is much better than orange and stuff like that right?

To be perfectly honest, such a topic only interests a small group of scholars. I doubt very much that my research will ever be of any use to anyone but I do know that if I pass my doctorate, that will get me a permanent job in Universtity and I could teach linguistics and phonology, which is all I've ever wanted!

Nikki
Nikki Posted Wed 09 Jan, 2008 6:44 PM Quote
Lucile wrote:
haz wrote:
Lucile wrote:
haz wrote:
Lucile wrote:

To be perfectly honest, such a topic only interests a small group of scholars. I doubt very much that my research will ever be of any use to anyone but I do know that if I pass my doctorate, that will get me a permanent job in Universtity and I could teach linguistics and phonology, which is all I've ever wanted!

Good luck! I enjoyed studying both Linguistics and Language in the Brain. VERY interesting. Especially the case studies about what happens if you aren't exposed to language as a child or those that have had accidents to the parts of their brain that process it.

Lucile
Lucile Posted Wed 09 Jan, 2008 6:56 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:

Good luck! I enjoyed studying both Linguistics and Language in the Brain. VERY interesting. Especially the case studies about what happens if you aren't exposed to language as a child or those that have had accidents to the parts of their brain that process it.

Thanks Nikki :) Nice to know I'm not the only one interested in linguistics! ;)

Harmony1206
Harmony1206 Posted Wed 09 Jan, 2008 10:22 PM Quote
Tis pretty much the same as previous years, to lose weight. But it's more like a New Year's threat this time than a resolution.

haz wrote:
anything unusual or just the same ol' same ol'?

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Wed 09 Jan, 2008 10:30 PM Quote

I've resolved not to make any New Year Resolutions from now on.

Dubz

spid
spid Posted Wed 09 Jan, 2008 10:38 PM Quote
Lucile wrote:
Nikki wrote:

Well that makes at least 3 of us then.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Wed 09 Jan, 2008 11:10 PM Quote
spid wrote:
Lucile wrote:
Nikki wrote:

Well that makes at least 3 of us then.

3 Cunning Linguists ??

hahaha I'm really sorry I couldn't resist.

Dubz

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 4 Next All Times BST Current Time 3:12 PM