Travis

Re: Christmas (or other winter holiday) traditions
Meridith
Meridith Posted Thu 11 Dec, 2008 4:05 PM Quote
sorry angel wrote:
And those 2 dinners usually ends with a "buche" which is a cake in the shape of a wood log representing the big log people would put in the fireplace that night.

My sister-in-law is from France and makes this cake every year for us...I love it!

Many of you have mentioned getting fruit in your stockings. This was a tradition in my family as well. I always got an apple and and orange, peanuts, and Hershey Kisses..along with a few other things.

It's fun to read about everyone's traditions...I don't know how I missed this thread last year!

Nikki
Nikki Posted Thu 11 Dec, 2008 6:50 PM Quote
Awwww! The Swan family Christmas sounds like fun!

"Oh, we normally put the angel on the top of the christmas tree before we open our presents. It's supposed to be a different person who puts it up on the tree, but every year my big sister says its her turn, until she realises she can't reach the top, so I have to do it. Every time!!"

This made me giggle because my mom and I decorate the tree together every year. We have a really tall tree and even when standing on a dining room chair, my mom still can't make the big bow we put at the top look right. I always have to fix it for her cuz I'm taller. :P

minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 12 Dec, 2008 2:54 PM Quote
In reality, Christmas in Canada is just a warm up for the real celebration:
The World Junior Hockey Championships that start on Boxing Day! 10 days of pure international hockey bliss. It is in Ottawa this year. I am not :(
Although not having to wake up at 6am on Boxing Day to watch Canada play in Russia or something will be nice.

This makes me giddy with excitement and yet not one of you will care:
http://watch.tsn.ca/international-hockey/clip120520#clip120520

Peewee
Peewee Posted Fri 12 Dec, 2008 4:43 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
In reality, Christmas in Canada is just a warm up for the real celebration:
The World Junior Hockey Championships that start on Boxing Day! 10 days of pure international hockey bliss. It is in Ottawa this year. I am not :(
Although not having to wake up at 6am on Boxing Day to watch Canada play in Russia or something will be nice.

This makes me giddy with excitement and yet not one of you will care:
http://watch.tsn.ca/international-hockey/clip120520#clip120520

Nooooooooooooooooo!!! Trust Kristy to turn this thread into a HOCKEY thread! ;P

minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 12 Dec, 2008 4:47 PM Quote
MWA HA HA!

It IS however my Christmas tradition so stuff that in your stocking!

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Fri 12 Dec, 2008 4:48 PM Quote
Peewee wrote:

She has a gift Wendy.

Peewee
Peewee Posted Fri 12 Dec, 2008 4:53 PM Quote
:( *cries in anguish*

minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 12 Dec, 2008 4:54 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
Peewee wrote:

She has a gift Wendy.

my Christmas gift to you all.

And the hockey thread turned into a boob thread, so the Christmas thread can become a hockey thread.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 19 Dec, 2008 12:12 AM Quote
erg. I was talking to my dad and he was telling me that growing up, as soon as each kid turned 16 they became Santa's driver (i think i mentioned earlier that my Grandfather used to dress as Santa on Christmas eve). Well, back in those days, for a week or more leading up to Christmas, he would go around to houses of people he knew, dresses as Santa, and he would have the kids (or 'little farts' as my dad said) letters that they wrote in his Santa book, and just amaze these kids. And how on the last day of work before Christmas every year, he would bring in a giant turkey dinner for all the guys after the shift, and how they would all sneak my grandmother a present for doing all the work, and sometimes a few bucks into my dads pocket for delivering it all.
Im sitting there talking to him, trying to fight back tears. It just made me so sad. Ive heard all these stories about him all my life...good and bad, and a whole lot of bad, but i just became so sad that I never got to know him.

Okay, Im done. Shaking it off. Board venting is good.

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Mon 02 Nov, 2009 9:42 PM Quote
erm.
How could I MISS this thread last year??????????????

anyway. I'm hereby bumping it (err, after one year, woohoo). Maybe, maybe it will be helpful for the Santas of boardieland ;)

Cynthia
Cynthia Posted Mon 02 Nov, 2009 11:24 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
My son knows Santa isn't real but likes to play along. He very seriously asked me last year if Santa was real (in a tone that clearly showed he had his doubts). I try to always tell my kids the truth (though I admit to the white lie here and there) so I saw no reason to lie about this.

But I explained that while even grown-ups know he isn't real we just all like to pretend and best not to tell other kids that you know the secret.

Because I really didn't want other parents egging my house saying that Aidan ruined their kid's Christmas!!

I teach music in an elementary school, and last year I overheard one 2nd grade boy telling another, "I'm not sure about the Easter Bunny, but the Tooth Fairy is definitely real!" It was priceless. :)

Cynthia
Cynthia Posted Mon 02 Nov, 2009 11:30 PM Quote
Growing up, we always left Santa an orange and coffee instead of the traditional cookies and milk. My parents always told my brother and I that Santa would get cookies from all the other kids, so it would be nice to leave him something different. Truth be told, my Dad just liked oranges and coffee more than cookies and milk!

When I was still little, but old enough to be skeptical about Santa, I asked for his autograph as proof of his existence. What I didn't pay attention to was the blocky print that said "SANTA" that was the most nondescript handwriting ever. Oh well, it kept the dream alive for an extra year or two. . .

Pages Previous 1...3 4 5 6 [7] All Times BST Current Time 7:35 PM