Travis

Christmas (or other winter holiday) traditions
weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Sun 09 Dec, 2007 9:15 PM Quote
I would like to hear what other traditions boardies have that are beyond the typical "we put up a Christmas tree." Me:

1) Growing up my parents' labels for their gifts were a clue what was inside. Like, To: Anne From: Annie Lebowitz was a camera or To: Mike From:Ahnuld were weights, etc.

2) Every year I put something new on my children's stockings that represents something they like or is new in ther lives. With all the scrapbooking stuff it's quite easy to find things and just stick it on there. Aidan's has a teeny onesie (he was 6 weeks old for his 1st Christmas), bees for his 2nd (he said, "BEE!" for everything for a few months), penguins for this 3rd (his biggest obsession even to this day), a fire truck for his fourth (also still big), a soccer ball for his 5th, and we just put on a sticker that said Kindergarten and a backpack for his 6th. My plan is to do it until they're 18.

3) Advent stockings. I realize this is bigger in Europe but over here people may have a calendar but not anything that has a little nook for candy or anything. I got those tiny stockings, slapped some colored balls and snowflakes on them, and numbered them 1-24. They're hung up with clothespins on a string. The kids love it. It is helpful to count down and it's nice to have a daily bribe.

*No. 2 & 3 are the ONLY crafty things I have ever done. Just don't want you to get the wrong impression. I am a baker but other than that my artistic talents in the home are fairly pathetic.

4) This is more a question. My family always put chapstick in my stocking growing up. I thought it was great. My best friend's family did too. My husband thinks it's the weirdest thing and laughs at it. Seems like a really cheap and easy way to help fill that bad boy up. Did anyone else have parents who did this?

Re: Christmas (or other winter holiday) traditions
AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Sun 09 Dec, 2007 9:21 PM Quote
we don't do stockings in France

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Sun 09 Dec, 2007 9:29 PM Quote
Abs Catherine is in my lap and she is very excited by your Hello Kitty avatar.

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Sun 09 Dec, 2007 9:37 PM Quote
weirdmominaustin wrote:
Abs Catherine is in my lap and she is very excited by your Hello Kitty avatar.

Bonjour Catherine ! It's the Macy's parade (Thanksgiving) Hello Kitty and she's indeed very cute.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Sun 09 Dec, 2007 9:45 PM Quote
She said, "It's a big balloon. Too big to hold."

Glad this thread is getting off in typical fashion-tagent right away. But I started the tangent so I can't complain!

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sun 09 Dec, 2007 9:46 PM Quote
Something similar--I often got glue stick in my Easter basket. It just always seemed like I was needing new glue when Easter rolled around. My husband thought that was the craziest thing he ever heard of. Hmmm, jelly beans, a chocolate bunny and GLUE!

The only thing we do that is a little different is we have a magic Santa key. Only Santa can make the key work. It's an old skeleton key that we hang on the front door on Christmas Eve so that Santa can get into our house to deliver the presents. We don't have a fireplace.

Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Sun 09 Dec, 2007 9:47 PM Quote
We open presents, eat food and watch telly...

audrey
audrey Posted Sun 09 Dec, 2007 9:50 PM Quote
we always got fruit in our stockings. my boyfriend thinks thats strange, but i think its awesome!

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Sun 09 Dec, 2007 9:53 PM Quote
we place our slippers by the tree and that's it

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sun 09 Dec, 2007 9:54 PM Quote
audrey wrote:
we always got fruit in our stockings. my boyfriend thinks thats strange, but i think its awesome!

I think that was tradition for a long time, especially when oranges were considered a real treat--they had to be shipped in and were quite expensive. That is what my mother got in her stocking. My friend down the street got fruit and nuts and raisins and things and she wondered why Santa gave her food and everyone else small toys! One year I got a huge bag of M&M's and I loved it.

ashleyb
ashleyb Posted Sun 09 Dec, 2007 9:55 PM Quote
On Christmas Eve we open gifts from people outside the immediate family. Does that count?

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sun 09 Dec, 2007 9:56 PM Quote
We are putting up our tree right now. Husband is wrestling with the lights, wondering why they worked last year but not this year. Three children who are absolutely giddy with excitement are jumping all around and on top of him. From my angle it is one of those moments to cherish, but I think from his angle it is slightly annoying and occasionally painful.

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Sun 09 Dec, 2007 10:00 PM Quote
a couple of years ago, my niece left a snack (cookies, an apple and a yogurt) by the Xmas tree for Santa "because he has some much to do he ought to eat a little bit" and before i went to sleep i did was Santa was expected to do.
You should have seen her face the morning after "see ! he was hungry !

awww - so cute

Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Sun 09 Dec, 2007 10:09 PM Quote
Gawd I feel like my family is the only one that doesnt do anything 'special'

pixiedixie
pixiedixie Posted Sun 09 Dec, 2007 10:12 PM Quote
Lemon Grinner wrote:
We open presents, eat food and watch telly...

We do that in my family too. We´re not into Christmas that much...

Pages [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Times BST Current Time 7:29 AM