Travis

Re: How did you discover Travis?
Jewl
Jewl Posted Mon 04 Jun, 2007 11:07 PM Quote
simple:

"The invisible band" was album of the year in a famous german music magazin....so I thought "Ok sing is a nice song, let's buy the album"...so I did...Travis was the first "good" band I listened to

tear0512
tear0512 Posted Tue 05 Jun, 2007 5:54 PM Quote
One of my friends who knows music well recommended Travis to me, because he knows that I prefer Brti-pop to other kinds of music. At the first listening, I just thought I was really in it! I borrowed all the albums from him, and just today, I bought the newset one "the boy with no name" myself. In my country, Travis is not that popular ,but as I know, those who had once listened to them all think they are amazing! Just as we do: )

cartoonmatrix
cartoonmatrix Posted Wed 06 Jun, 2007 4:09 AM Quote
It is a long and wonderful story. I am a professed anglophile and I was listening to BBC 1 online when I was about 16 or 17(whenever Man Who was out). I heard a song I liked but didn't write donw the song title or the band name. I remember it said something about driftwood. It oft came to my mind later on and kicked myself for not writing it down.
Some time later, maybe years, I was watching MTV2 which was playing on regular MTV for some reason. I had my head turned but a song suddenly caught my ear. I turned to watch the video. It was "Sing" by Travis. I love the video, being a blend of scenes from the Beatles movie "Help!" and another classic film. But it was the song that hooked me. It sounded like coming home.
Anyway, I bought The Invisible Band, and loved it. One day while looking at the other albums they had, I came across a song called "Driftwood." It was one of those moment that it akin to putting the last piece of the puzzle in and the picture becoming whole. I looked at the song, the lyrics and then played a snippet of it. It was my song, my song I lost and found again. It was my band I was meant to love long before I did.
Alas, I had just missed their perfomance in Atl by a month, discovering them too late. For "12 Memories" they did not come close to here. But joy returns, as they are coming to ATL and I already have my tickets! I feel a bit more complete now.

Tracey982
Tracey982 Posted Wed 06 Jun, 2007 6:05 PM Quote
I remember hearing Tied To The 90's and thought it was a cool, catchy song. I then saw some of their CD's in a bargain bin in Virgin Megastores back in 1997 (If I can remember)so I bought them (Tied To The 90's, Happy, and AIWDIR). I really got into them after they supported Oasis on their tour. Been a fan ever since.
^_^

RaZzZ
RaZzZ Posted Thu 20 Sep, 2007 4:43 AM Quote
Watching TV xD

neverAcquiesce
neverAcquiesce Posted Fri 21 Sep, 2007 10:46 PM Quote
Found a fanvid of Jim and Pam from The Office set to "Love Will Come Through." Fell in love with it. Bought Singles just for the song and over the course of a few weeks grew to love the band. Bought all the albums shortly thereafter and special ordered the DVDs.

All since May.

cornax
cornax Posted Sat 22 Sep, 2007 12:44 AM Quote
I only discovered Travis about two years ago. I was on the website of one of my other favorite performers, Magne F (Mags from a-ha), and he had made a list of "must listen" albums. 'The Invisible Band' was on it. So I listened! And fell in love with them. BTW, I didn't even realize it at the time but Andy had played on Magne's solo album, 'Past Perfect Future Tense' so I guess he was just giving a plug to a friend. It worked!

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Sat 22 Sep, 2007 1:22 AM Quote
Newsweek gave a rave review of "The Invisible Band". I asked for the CD for my birthday and my parents got me TIB and The Man Who. I remember we were in Rome on my birthday (lucky me!) and they gave them to me.

Soon after one of the radio stations started playing WDIAROM (why that and not a track from TIB I don't know) but they were helping to promote their upcoming concert. Hubby ended up surprising me with tickets. I was nervous about going because I was VERY pregnant and I wasn't sure if it would be worth it. What if they sucked live?

Well, we all know the answer....they totally RAWK! That concert was amazing. Even the baby was dancing! I fell completely head over heels in love with their music. I started listening to their CDs over and over again, which I could since I was alone with my son so much (who was born 2 1/2 weeks later).

I've said it before but my deep affection for them and their music is all wrapped together with their music being a constant for me during a very intense period of my life.

anace
anace Posted Sat 22 Sep, 2007 4:23 AM Quote
^^ aw that is such a cute story :)

I think I was 12 when I heard why does it always rain on me? on the radio and thought 'oh that sound really good'. Then I saw the video for 'Sing'... wait no, I saw/heard other first. Mm, I have such a terrible memory... it was probably Turn. So I kept liking what I was finding, yeah until I heard 'Sing' and realised this was a band for me.

SO yeah, I was like 11-12 years old. Travis is one of the bands that showed me the right musical path haha

irem
irem Posted Sat 22 Sep, 2007 1:21 PM Quote
saw the side video on tv, and bought the invisible band album when i was in 5th grade.

mili
mili Posted Sat 22 Sep, 2007 3:38 PM Quote
Can't remember exactly, but I would guess I saw Why Does It Always Rain On Me video on MTV, then heard the song on the radio around the same time. Then bought the album, and got really into them.

Pages Previous 1...2 3 4 5 [6] All Times BST Current Time 9:11 AM