Travis

Is Tabliture Ruining Talent
GotChrist
GotChrist Posted Thu 11 Oct, 2007 8:32 PM Quote
I just read in a magazine that some people around the world think that guitar tabliture is ruining the skill in playing a guitar. They say that it's far, far, far too easy to read and that anyone that learns how to read tabliture, immediately knows how to play guitar. I don't think this is true and even if it were, I'd think that it was a good thing. Wouldn't you?

EDIT: I just realised that I posted this in the Travis section of the message board. Sorry.

Re: Is Tabliture Ruining Talent
hail_fran
hail_fran Posted Thu 11 Oct, 2007 10:42 PM Quote
i'm with you on this one. guitarists are judged by how they play the guitar, not by how they read music. and if tabs help them learn it quicker then happy days. give me tabs over score any day!

just bought the boy with no name book, tablature version:)

GotChrist
GotChrist Posted Fri 12 Oct, 2007 9:38 AM Quote
That's exactly what I thought.

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Fri 12 Oct, 2007 8:23 PM Quote
Music is probably the most convoluted written thing in the world today (apart from any Asian language to a Westerner!). So I am totally for easier ways of getting the same thing on paper.

Also, it's complete nonsense that anyone can play tab - if the piece is hard enough you have to be bloody good anyway! It's like saying that I could play guitar really well if only I could understand the music, which is blatently not true!

Nikki
Nikki Posted Fri 12 Oct, 2007 11:11 PM Quote
Obviously, if you know how to read music and understand the theory of music you will probably become a better musician and can translate it from guitar to piano to other instruments, however, I agree with you guys. Being able to read tabs has nothing to do with skill level. This was in a magazine? Strange...

GotChrist
GotChrist Posted Sat 13 Oct, 2007 10:22 AM Quote
Nikki wrote:
This was in a magazine? Strange...

Yeah, just some magazine I borrowed off my friend. Can't remember what it's called, some guitar magazine anyway. There's a small section in it asking people what they prefer, tabs or notes ... I would've expected them all to say tabs but it's not the first time I've been wrong.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Sat 13 Oct, 2007 2:44 PM Quote
most tabs I see are appx , playin by ear is a good thing to me . A little give & take is probaly the best . I haven't been able to read a chart since I was a teenager , wish I could but it's not necessary for me to enjoy playing

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 3:42 PM