Travis

Re: looking through the bent backed tulips..
the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sun 30 Sep, 2007 6:46 PM Quote
I was thinking of hosting a boardie party, where we all congregate and relight our board love. Then I remembered that the board would go very slowly and crash a lot :s

TWT, we all love you, but could you buy a bigger server? Please! *grovels*

Esteban
Esteban Posted Sun 30 Sep, 2007 9:56 PM Quote
That or just archive the old stuff somewhere. Is it the volume of posts that's causing the new board to crawl?

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 01 Oct, 2007 12:03 AM Quote
Well, if the web people aren't getting paid, that changes everything. I figured it was a hired company that did it. All the web designers/managers I know of charge big bucks for what they do. If the TWT does this for free, thank you.

I will fear no boardie, regardless of his bark or bite. That goes for both the English or French usages. See what I mean about the internationalism? How else would we be learning French slang? Embroider that phrase on a pillow, AbsolutPurple! That's a gem.

I really am enjoying it here in Travisland.

nats
nats Posted Mon 01 Oct, 2007 12:24 AM Quote
Esteban wrote:
That or just archive the old stuff somewhere. Is it the volume of posts that's causing the new board to crawl?

i was wondering how many pages a thread can support... have you seen the "what are you listening..." thread?

i like the archive idea

Esteban
Esteban Posted Mon 01 Oct, 2007 12:29 AM Quote
nats wrote:
Esteban wrote:

i was wondering how many pages a thread can support... have you seen the "what are you listening..." thread?

i like the archive idea

No-one here digs up old threads, so may as well archive them if they're causing slowdown.

nats
nats Posted Mon 01 Oct, 2007 12:42 AM Quote
Esteban wrote:
nats wrote:
Esteban wrote:

i like the archive idea

No-one here digs up old threads, so may as well archive them if they're causing slowdown.

maybe the images are causing the slowdown too

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/2656295/2/istockphoto_2656295_archive.jpg

mozman68
mozman68 Posted Mon 01 Oct, 2007 1:14 AM Quote
All of these excuses are a bunch of crap.....even if they weren't paid anything, that doesn't mean the board should crawl as slow as it does. And secondly, unless the TWT says otherwise, I imagine they ARE being paid for what they do. No one designs and runs a website for a seriously popular band worldwide....at most there are moderators who volunteer their time.

I am on two other message boards regularly that are ten times as busy and receive many more hits...they are run privately for very little money and are efficient and fast.

There simply is NO excuse for this sight to run this slow and with so many errors...NONE!

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Mon 01 Oct, 2007 1:05 PM Quote
weirdmominaustin wrote:
audrey wrote:
hey guys. ive been absent of late. my love for the board is slowly deteriorating, and im not sure its repairable.
who cares right? i suppose thats the ebb and flow of the internet. old ones out with the sand and newbies in with the high tide.

I think many people share your feeling that something has changed on the board. It has been slower, quieter, and sometimes more negative than it was when I first started hanging about.

A few thoughts:
Perhaps it was so great for awhile when we were all united in our excitement over the new album and tour and that has sort of waned?

I have gotten numerous pms from people saying they don't post as much because they're scared that the thread will be mocked, criticized, judged, etc.

I think some people like conflict. I like debates but not when it turns into personalized name calling. Some people don't seem to know (or care) what the difference is. I am also amused that often when someone is called out for being rude they say something like, "oh can I only respond if I agree with you?" or "it's boring if we all agree". I feel like they're missing the bigger point.

So perhaps if we all try posting more but also try not to slam on other's threads that we find silly things will turn around?

I don't know....

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Mon 01 Oct, 2007 1:13 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
Great picture Audrey!

About the board...

I hope that you don't stop posting. I know you've been around for a while and would hate to see another old school boardie disappear! I agree with Anne that things have slowed down here mainly because some of the excitement over the new album has waned and touring is over for most of us for a while. Although I've been a member of this MB for ages, I was kind of a lurker on the old board most of the time and just used it to get information mainly. I love the format of the new board, at least for me, I feel more connected to other boardies, which makes it a lot more fun. I understand that a lot of the older boardies miss their friends and whatnot...I miss Haz and his crazy posts too! But I just guess I don't understand the point of going on about it....if you don't like a particular topic move on and create one that's interesting to you! You have the power to change the board. ;)

I agree 100 % with that, and also understand some of the previous thoughts.

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Mon 01 Oct, 2007 1:17 PM Quote
audrey wrote:
one person simply cannot change a messageboard.
thats nice you guys are so optimistic though. ahhaa.

Perhaps you are in a negative mood? (I hope you don't take this wrong, I mean that in a nice way).
I agree that it's possible to change things, like in life, ignore the pointless, fight the unacceptable and get involved in where you heart lives. Your photos are always a great input for example.

Sunny
Sunny Posted Mon 01 Oct, 2007 1:34 PM Quote
Esteban wrote:

No-one here digs up old threads

I do sometimes, either instead of creating a new thread when I know there's been a thread on the same subject or because someone asked a question that has already been asked I will look back to find the answer.

Sunny
Sunny Posted Mon 01 Oct, 2007 1:36 PM Quote
mozman68 wrote:
And secondly, unless the TWT says otherwise, I imagine they ARE being paid for what they do.

Well, a member told me they're not. And, as I said, this could have changed with the arrival of the new board.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 01 Oct, 2007 2:42 PM Quote
Sunny wrote:
Esteban wrote:

I do sometimes, either instead of creating a new thread when I know there's been a thread on the same subject or because someone asked a question that has already been asked I will look back to find the answer.

Congrats and thank you. I hate when people start a new thread when there are already 5 fuvcking threads on the same subject like "who loves the new album more", It's Shit!!

Well Done Sunny, I for one appreciate it.

Dubz
Nemo me Impune Lacessit

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Mon 01 Oct, 2007 2:54 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Sunny wrote:
Esteban wrote:

Congrats and thank you. I hate when people start a new thread when there are already 5 fuvcking threads on the same subject like "who loves the new album more", It's Shit!!

I also think it's useful and I appreciate it to see a bit of "history, but i don't mind new repetitive threads. People don't always have the time to go back for pages/months just to find a thread on the same subject. I certainly don't and can't be bothered either.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 01 Oct, 2007 3:40 PM Quote
sorry angel wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Sunny wrote:
Esteban wrote:

I also think it's useful and I appreciate it to see a bit of "history, but i don't mind new repetitive threads. People don't always have the time to go back for pages/months just to find a thread on the same subject. I certainly don't and can't be bothered either.

Hence the "Search" facility

Dubz
Nemo me Impune Lacessit

Pages Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Next All Times BST Current Time 3:35 PM