kim2007w Posted Wed 26 Sep, 2007 3:35 PM Quote
How come?

Re: Today I found out that I understand German
Rain on the brain
Rain on the brain Posted Wed 26 Sep, 2007 3:43 PM Quote
kim2007w wrote:
How come?

I don't know, !!
I have to learn a new program on the computer, it's called as400 and is a scary thing all black with green numbers and you have millions of codes and numbers and other things to remember, I need it at work now, so yesterday my boss said that I could stay at the desk with a colleague and I would see her using it while she works.
Now, I work at the foreign department in a company, and we have customers from the UK and all the German speaking Europe (Germany, Austria and Switzerland)
I had to stay with my colleague while she was dealing with the customers using the pc program.
Was it the UK department? Of course not. It was the German one. So I couldn't even understand why she was doing things at the pc I coulnd't even guess what she was talking about with the customers. She couldn't even stop a second to give me any explanation because there were million of German people waiting for her, and she said "you just stay here and look at what I do"

Anyways. That was yesterday.
Today they gave me an account to use the same program for the UK.... and I could do everything.
I was so scared this morning before going to work.. and then I knew exactly what to do.
The woman who helped me yesterday said that I was going fine, but I am still wondering how did I learn it???

kim2007w
kim2007w Posted Wed 26 Sep, 2007 3:51 PM Quote
well, good on you, perhaps thats your new calling

Rain on the brain
Rain on the brain Posted Wed 26 Sep, 2007 3:55 PM Quote
kim2007w wrote:
well, good on you, perhaps thats your new calling

Learning German?

I would like to, I'm always among German speaking people and I am the only one who doesn't speak it... Our floor is like 100 people speaking German and 10 people speaking English.. Sometimes I hear them saying things and they laugh and I am like ... well, I'm like nothing because I don't understand it.

michele
michele Posted Wed 26 Sep, 2007 7:47 PM Quote
du verstehst Deutsch! Das ist prima
und, wie geht's?

lilly
lilly Posted Wed 26 Sep, 2007 7:56 PM Quote
Rain on the brain wrote:
would like to, I'm always among German speaking people and I am the only one who doesn't speak it... Our floor is like 100 people speaking German and 10 people speaking English.. Sometimes I hear them saying things and they laugh and I am like ... well, I'm like nothing because I don't understand it.

er...what kind of company are you working for? SO many German-speakers? Außerdem glaube ich nicht, dass Du das alles verstehst, niemals nicht, nein nein ;) - oder etwa doch?

Rain on the brain
Rain on the brain Posted Wed 26 Sep, 2007 8:27 PM Quote
lilly wrote:
Rain on the brain wrote:
would like to, I'm always among German speaking people and I am the only one who doesn't speak it... Our floor is like 100 people speaking German and 10 people speaking English.. Sometimes I hear them saying things and they laugh and I am like ... well, I'm like nothing because I don't understand it.

er...what kind of company are you working for? SO many German-speakers? Außerdem glaube ich nicht, dass Du das alles verstehst, niemals nicht, nein nein ;) - oder etwa doch?

... tomorrow i will know what your german posts mean....
i work for an italian company, they sell italian wines and italian food specialities everywhere except italy. and we are the customer service for europe and usa. The german are mostly german or austrian women who married italian men, or grown up children of italian parents who moved to germany when they were not born yet and came back to italy now

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Wed 26 Sep, 2007 8:35 PM Quote
worked 5 years using the AS400

don't worry about german customers, most of them speak english very well.

nice business it seems - dealing with food and wine.
do you also taste the products and have discounts on merchandise ?

Rain on the brain
Rain on the brain Posted Wed 26 Sep, 2007 8:58 PM Quote
AbsolutPurple wrote:

yes, many times we open a bottle of prosecco and eat some spaghetti while we are talking at the phone with customers.
no problems with the german customers, because i work only for the uk.

you really know the as400? what did you use it for? we use it to keep the customers' details and the status of their orders, the credit cards and payment stuff....

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Wed 26 Sep, 2007 9:08 PM Quote
Rain on the brain wrote:
AbsolutPurple wrote:

yes, many times we open a bottle of prosecco and eat some spaghetti while we are talking at the phone with customers.

you really know the as400? what did you use it for? we use it to keep the customers' details and the status of their orders, the credit cards and payment stuff....

all garments orders with factories were input in the system - with prices and delivery times.
we would then print docs to double-check when products were supposed to be shipped and then follow up with production plants if they were late in sending out the stuff.

Rain on the brain
Rain on the brain Posted Wed 26 Sep, 2007 9:15 PM Quote
AbsolutPurple wrote:
Rain on the brain wrote:
AbsolutPurple wrote:

all garments orders with factories were input in the system - with prices and delivery times.
we would then print docs to double-check when products were supposed to be shipped and then follow up with production plants if they were late in sending out the stuff.

They should invent something new to substitute it. Anyways maybe it's a bit complicated at the beginning but is very accurate

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 4:04 AM