Now there's a GOOD Band!!

Re: Take That
Sunny
Sunny Posted Sun 23 Sep, 2007 3:12 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Sunny wrote:

Madness.

Now there's a GOOD Band!!

Aye, apart from Baggy Trousers they were alright.

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sun 23 Sep, 2007 3:22 PM Quote
Sunny wrote:

*leaves a hand print on the screen*

I like Patience and Hold On from the new album. I've just run through the tracks again though and I quite like all of them.

My screen just looked blankly back. It's not very good at grasping social conventions.

I like Patience and Wooden Boat miself. Good acoustic simplicity.

Sunny
Sunny Posted Sun 23 Sep, 2007 3:27 PM Quote
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:

My screen just looked blankly back. It's not very good at grasping social conventions.

I like Patience and Wooden Boat miself. Good acoustic simplicity.

My screen winked. It's top of the social conventions class.

I'm listening to the album again (haven't done so for ages) and Beautiful World is having a second chance ... I didn't used to like this one. Maybe it sounds better because it's a lazy Sunday afternoon?

the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sun 23 Sep, 2007 3:44 PM Quote
Sunny wrote:

My screen winked. It's top of the social conventions class.

I'm listening to the album again (haven't done so for ages) and Beautiful World is having a second chance ... I didn't used to like this one. Maybe it sounds better because it's a lazy Sunday afternoon?

Ooooh, very good, do congratulate it for me! Perhaps it could give my screen some tips? :)

I haven't listened for a while, I will also have to dig it out and put it on.
I never really liked Beautiful World, it never seemed to gel with the rest, but I agree it's a good song (well, good album, really) for a slow Sunday.

Sunny
Sunny Posted Sun 23 Sep, 2007 3:49 PM Quote

Ooooh, very good, do congratulate it for me! Perhaps it could give my screen some tips? :)

I haven't listened for a while, I will also have to dig it out and put it on.
I never really liked Beautiful World, it never seemed to gel with the rest, but I agree it's a good song (well, good album, really) for a slow Sunday.

*pats computer* Sorry, my screen doesn't chat to other screens - it picks up bad manners.

I think BW is in the wrong place, it should be further down the tracks, it's too similar to Hold On.

the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sun 23 Sep, 2007 4:03 PM Quote
Sunny wrote:

*pats computer* Sorry, my screen doesn't chat to other screens - it picks up bad manners.

I think BW is in the wrong place, it should be further down the tracks, it's too similar to Hold On.

Ah, I see, it's at a formative stage. Well, you mustn't let it get too out of hand, or it will become very rude and raucous.

Yes, I always thought it should have been lower down, it just isn't good enough for track 3. Maybe a swap with track 8 (I've forgotten what it's called, but I remember it's good!)

baby faced woman
baby faced woman Posted Sun 23 Sep, 2007 4:14 PM Quote
I like TT! :)

Sunny
Sunny Posted Sun 23 Sep, 2007 9:20 PM Quote
Sunny wrote:

Ah, I see, it's at a formative stage. Well, you mustn't let it get too out of hand, or it will become very rude and raucous.

Yes, I always thought it should have been lower down, it just isn't good enough for track 3. Maybe a swap with track 8 (I've forgotten what it's called, but I remember it's good!)

Ain't No Sense In Love, i think it is.

the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sun 23 Sep, 2007 9:32 PM Quote
Sunny wrote:

That's the little beauty. I couldn't be bothered humming it to myself to find out what the title was... Anyway, I've now listened to it all through and I conclude that:
* (that equals a bullet point for these purposes) It's really a very good album. It flows well and every song has a good few different sections. They are mostly love songs, but none are too sugary or cliched (although the lyrics of I'll Wait For Life do come close :s)
* BW is very good for a lazy Sunday, but very bad the rest of the time. Not because it's bad tune, just because it's very forgetable.
* Shine is a brilliant song. Really, really, really very good. It has such a different sound from the other songs, but still has the Take That feel. So bouncy and happy and shiny. Perhaps a tad overplayed, but it had be dancing again today :)
* The album is very well constructed and it feels like there is a purpose or a sense of direction - the song order is good, Reach Out smacks you in the face saying "I'm a good song", whilst Patience is good in a less arrogant way. The mixture of ballads and uptempo is good, even slow songs have a good rhythm and don't get bogged down.
* It brought back lots of memories of walking round in worryingly low temperatures when I first got it last Christmas. I think it will be one of those albums that I could listen to for years.

Sunny
Sunny Posted Sun 23 Sep, 2007 9:40 PM Quote
Sunny wrote:

That's the little beauty. I couldn't be bothered humming it to myself to find out what the title was... Anyway, I've now listened to it all through and I conclude that:
* (that equals a bullet point for these purposes) It's really a very good album. It flows well and every song has a good few different sections. They are mostly love songs, but none are too sugary or cliched (although the lyrics of I'll Wait For Life do come close :s)
* BW is very good for a lazy Sunday, but very bad the rest of the time. Not because it's bad tune, just because it's very forgetable.
* Shine is a brilliant song. Really, really, really very good. It has such a different sound from the other songs, but still has the Take That feel. So bouncy and happy and shiny. Perhaps a tad overplayed, but it had be dancing again today :)
* The album is very well constructed and it feels like there is a purpose or a sense of direction - the song order is good, Reach Out smacks you in the face saying "I'm a good song", whilst Patience is good in a less arrogant way. The mixture of ballads and uptempo is good, even slow songs have a good rhythm and don't get bogged down.
* It brought back lots of memories of walking round in worryingly low temperatures when I first got it last Christmas. I think it will be one of those albums that I could listen to for years.

You have been busy.
You just can't escape the fact that it's Take That though. It's that kind of "musical racism" that Fran once talked about. It doesn't matter how good the song is, if the artist is not 'cool' then it'll be shunned.

the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sun 23 Sep, 2007 9:57 PM Quote
Sunny wrote:

You have been busy.
You just can't escape the fact that it's Take That though. It's that kind of "musical racism" that Fran once talked about. It doesn't matter how good the song is, if the artist is not 'cool' then it'll be shunned.

Yes, it was one of those posts where you keep having more ideas (also see here for one of the most boring posts ever!)
I know, it's very annoying that some bands will never have the same success or credibility - McFly are another example, sometimes they come up with a good song, but everyone laughs at them. For them, the hoardes of screaming girls (ie. the fans) are actually harming the reputation, although they are more commercially successful than they would be otherwise.
I like some bands more because they're (a bit) uncool, like The Feeling. It's good some people don't care, otherwise we'd like in a world of indie/rock bands who all produce the same music.
I'm so boring tonight, I haven't posted anything less than many lines long :(

Sunny
Sunny Posted Sun 23 Sep, 2007 10:03 PM Quote

Yes, it was one of those posts where you keep having more ideas (also see here for one of the most boring posts ever!)
I know, it's very annoying that some bands will never have the same success or credibility - McFly are another example, sometimes they come up with a good song, but everyone laughs at them. For them, the hoardes of screaming girls (ie. the fans) are actually harming the reputation, although they are more commercially successful than they would be otherwise.
I like some bands more because they're (a bit) uncool, like The Feeling. It's good some people don't care, otherwise we'd like in a world of indie/rock bands who all produce the same music.
I'm so boring tonight, I haven't posted anything less than many lines long :(

That was far more than most people contribute.
Name a good McFly song.
Apparently Ghosts are 'uncool', but I don't really follow the trends. Green Day is one trend I never understood, so was Radiohead.
It's nice to see an essay or two on here ;) As you can see I'm into short and sweet sentences at the moment.

the boy with a cryptic name Posted Tue 25 Sep, 2007 9:33 PM Quote
Sunny wrote:

That was far more than most people contribute.
Name a good McFly song.
Apparently Ghosts are 'uncool', but I don't really follow the trends. Green Day is one trend I never understood, so was Radiohead.
It's nice to see an essay or two on here ;) As you can see I'm into short and sweet sentences at the moment.

Yes, but in a boring, I really don't want to read this kind of way!
All About You is a good song, but because it was by McFly everyone complained that it didn't have much cheesiness (not pop cheesiness anyway) associated with it.

It depends who you talk to, really, some (NME) maintain that any group who hold guitars (and do nothing else) are very cool; some will tell you that Radiohead are cool, while most think they whine, surfing types (to generalise horribly) say Newton Faulkner is amazingly cool. Whereas we know the coolest people are Travis and Ghosts :D

Darran
Darran Posted Mon 15 Oct, 2007 11:07 PM Quote
I saw Take That last night and they where fucking awesome.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v641/TheGuv/Image009.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v641/TheGuv/Image008.jpg

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 6:01 AM