Travis

Spanish Boardies
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Sun 26 Aug, 2007 9:03 PM Quote
Any news on the condition of Puerta of Sevilla?
That wasa horrible thing to see happening to someone so young.
I hope he is ok.

Re: Spanish Boardies
Monica
Monica Posted Tue 28 Aug, 2007 10:02 AM Quote
Hi! I was watching the game when everything happened, and the images were awful.
Today, news are not good. He remains in critical state, and tomorrow doctors will say if he had suffered from brain damage. This is really, really sad. He's a young man; very soon he'll become a father, and his projection was fantastic, a great player.
I'm sure he will overcome this horrible situation.

Monica
Monica Posted Tue 28 Aug, 2007 3:24 PM Quote
Antonio Puerta just died a few minutes ago. I'm crying and I feel really sad.

http://aycu22.webshots.com/image/26501/2002489271384541784_rs.jpg

http://aycu06.webshots.com/image/25645/2002427372667815276_rs.jpg

R.I.P.

Trevis
Trevis Posted Tue 28 Aug, 2007 3:33 PM Quote
Uy, Mónica! What a tragedy!
I saw that new yesterday on TV. But now he is died, waw.
R.I.P.

Monica
Monica Posted Tue 28 Aug, 2007 3:43 PM Quote
Yeah, it's a big tragedy. I'm very, very sad.

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Tue 28 Aug, 2007 3:45 PM Quote
Terrible news.

R.I.P

Monica
Monica Posted Tue 28 Aug, 2007 3:51 PM Quote
Here is the tribute that an online newspaper has paid to Antonio. There are some pictures of him. That's the way we have to remember him.

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Tue 28 Aug, 2007 8:14 PM Quote
what hapenned? I missed the news.....

Monica
Monica Posted Wed 29 Aug, 2007 8:03 PM Quote
Taken from the guardian:

Sevilla midfielder Puerta dies

'The death was caused by postanoxic encephalopathy and a multiple failure of his organs caused by the prolonged cardiac arrest'

Staff and agencies
Tuesday August 28, 2007
Guardian Unlimited

The Sevilla and Spain wing-back Antonio Puerta has died aged 22 after collapsing during his side's match against Getafe on Saturday.

Puerta collapsed after jogging back towards his own goal 35 minutes into the opening league game of the season at the Sánchez Pizjuán on Saturday. Team-mates and medical staff rushed to his side and were seen preventing him from swallowing his tongue as he lost consciousness.

Puerta, who had passed a medical with his club three weeks ago, was able to walk from the pitch after being attended to by medical staff on Saturday, but then collapsed again in the changing rooms and was given cardiac resuscitation.

Doctors at the Virgen del Rocio hospital in Seville confirmed his death. "We regret to report that the patient Antonio Puerta died at [1230 GMT] today," read a hospital statement. "The death was caused by postanoxic encephalopathy and a multiple failure of his organs caused by the prolonged cardiac arrest that provoked his admission to hospital." Puerta's body will now be taken to the Sánchez Pizjuán, where fans will be able to pay their respects before he is buried on Thursday.

The Spanish Football League issued its condolences to Puerta's family and Sevilla's supporters in a statement. "The LFP has asked all their fans to respect a one-minute silence before each game of the second round of the Primera Liga," it read. Sevilla's city rivals Real Betis also issued a statement, in which the Betis owner Manuel Ruiz de Lopera said: "This is a blow to the whole of Seville. Our thoughts are with Sevilla, with the player's family and with the player, who I am sure will be in heaven."

Sevilla's Champions League qualifying second leg against AEK Athens, which was due to be played tonight, has been cancelled and will be played next Monday. The Sevilla squad is currently flying back to Spain from Greece. "Uefa, after a joint request by AEK and the Sevilla team, has decided to postpone the game because of the death of Antonio Puerta and the tragic events from the fires in Greece," confirmed AEK.

Milan, Sevilla's scheduled opponents in Friday's European Super Cup, have offered to postpone or cancel the match. "AC Milan ... grieve at the passing of Antonio Puerta and share the pain of our friends at Sevilla and the player's family," said the club in a statement. "Milan are ready to stand by any decision adopted by Uefa about the playing or not of the European Super Cup."

Puerta, whose girlfriend is pregnant, had been a member of the Sevilla first team for three seasons and spent 14 years in total with the club he joined as a boy.
---------------------

I cried yesterday and today, as well as the whole country :(

moominbadger
moominbadger Posted Wed 29 Aug, 2007 8:17 PM Quote
What a tragedy, he was so young. RIP.

sara spain
sara spain Posted Wed 29 Aug, 2007 8:49 PM Quote
everybody here is spain is very sad about this.
I saw the funeral images this morning and I start to cry.
He was very young.

Now he rest in peace...

barby
barby Posted Wed 29 Aug, 2007 8:52 PM Quote
Monica wrote:
Antonio Puerta just died a few minutes ago. I'm crying and I feel really sad.

http://aycu22.webshots.com/image/26501/2002489271384541784_rs.jpg

http://aycu06.webshots.com/image/25645/2002427372667815276_rs.jpg

R.I.P.

Es una pena, tan joven y estaba por tener un hijito. Es una pena enorme.

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Wed 29 Aug, 2007 8:54 PM Quote
RIP

Respect also for his wife and their baby to come.

pixiedixie
pixiedixie Posted Wed 29 Aug, 2007 8:56 PM Quote
It´s so sad... about to have a baby, only 22 years old, a really promising soccer player, with a brilliant future ahead... :(

Monica
Monica Posted Fri 31 Aug, 2007 12:23 PM Quote
Tonight, before the match Milan-Sevilla, Antonio will be tributed.

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 4:19 PM