Travis

Travis gets you thru the big times
lizbeth0619
lizbeth0619 Posted Thu 09 Aug, 2007 2:02 PM Quote
Wondering if anyone has any examples of this....
I have been such a long time fan that Travis songs have related to certain parts of my life. ie that scary, scary job interview I had to drive to several years ago I replayed "As You Are" over and over. I didn't get the job but I always think of it when I hear that song. Or during like one of the biggest days of my life, wedding day, we had used "Slideshow" on part of the video so it was running thru my head all day.
Anyone have examples of Travis songs defining momentous times in their lives?

Re: Travis gets you thru the big times
Rain on the brain
Rain on the brain Posted Thu 09 Aug, 2007 2:17 PM Quote
absolutely yes.
with many songs.
this period of time, is a "One night" one.

moominbadger
moominbadger Posted Thu 09 Aug, 2007 4:03 PM Quote
Oh wow, yeah, I can totally relate to this!
When I bought "Good Feeling" I was in my first year of uni, so all the songs on that album take me back to that time.

"The Man Who" - Bought this when I dropped out of uni!! Hard times....fab album helped me through

"The Invisible Band" - Bought this when I was living in New Zealand - Pipe Dreams esp takes me straight back there whenever I listen to it and makes me so nostalgic I want to cry!

"12 Memories" - I remember the first time I heard "Somewhere Else", sitting in my lounge of my first house just after Christmas '04 feeling really fed up.

"TBWNN" - Very much a now album!! Best memories of this so far are seeing Travis play Sherwood Forest, "My Eyes" being the highlight

Meridith
Meridith Posted Thu 09 Aug, 2007 10:38 PM Quote
Definitely! One example is when my daughter was about 4 months old. She was in her baby swing just chilling. My husband went and put on AIWTDIR on, got out the video camera and filmed her swinging back and forth, back and forth while that song was playing. It was pretty funny (to us) and I'm sure we still have that footage somewhere. But anytime I hear that song, it brings a smile to me and takes me back to that time when my daughter was just starting to see the world.

ashleyb
ashleyb Posted Fri 10 Aug, 2007 3:14 AM Quote
re-offender was playing when I was in my first accident. have never been able to really listen to it the same way since.

lizbeth0619
lizbeth0619 Posted Fri 10 Aug, 2007 4:05 PM Quote
ashleyb wrote:
re-offender was playing when I was in my first accident. have never been able to really listen to it the same way since.

;) Years and years ago I got into two really bad accidents. (Didn't hurt myself somehow but totaled the car(s)) and Smashing Pumpkins was playing BOTH times!! On the radio...isn't that crazy? I have never listened to them again; if they come on the radio (even in someone else's car) I change it! lol

ashleyb
ashleyb Posted Sat 11 Aug, 2007 6:03 PM Quote
Yeah, I'd avoid the smashing pumpkins too if i were you. It's only recently (about a week or two) ago that I finally worked up the nerve to listen to re-offender again while driving. And I made it home in one piece, as did my car :)

kurai
kurai Posted Sun 12 Aug, 2007 5:05 PM Quote
The music of Travis is very important to me and their songs accompany me since a long time now.
The funny thing is that I bought "The Man Who" when I was fifteen or sixteen years old and my favourite song was "Why does it always rain on me" - and there is the line "is it because I lied when I was seventeen?".The song helped me through a difficult time(before I was seventeen and afterwards ;D), because when I listen to it I realise that I am not the only person who has problems. It´s weird, but somehow that makes me feel better and I am looking forward to the sunny days.

Recently I took my Bachelor of Arts - and my work is inspired by the music of Travis (of course ;D). It was a difficult time, but again their music helped me a lot.
(Thank you!!!)

paul_c
paul_c Posted Sun 12 Aug, 2007 10:54 PM Quote
It's strange, but when you're going through rough times, as i have in the past (not now though- i'm happiest i've ever been right now i think), listening to Travis is just like a big arm around you, telling you it'll all be alright in the end. A lot of people wouldn't understand that, but i'm sure i'm not the only one here that thinks the same.

Even from the very first time i heard More Than Us, the very first Travis song i heard, it feels like they've always been my band- there for me when i need them sorta thing. Not that they'll ever know or i'll ever tell them if i'm talking to them. But i guess Travis' music has definitely helped me get through those difficult teenage years. And they were there for every one of them!

And yes, i'm ever thankful for that. I don't think i could thank them enough, even if i tried! They're a massive part of my young life, and an inspiration for my future years :)

ashleyb
ashleyb Posted Mon 13 Aug, 2007 1:34 PM Quote
Well said. I absolutely second that.

flower_in_the_window
flower_in_the_window Posted Mon 13 Aug, 2007 2:04 PM Quote
Paul, Wholeheartedly third-ed....

Soulslug
Soulslug Posted Mon 13 Aug, 2007 3:09 PM Quote
True. When I'm feeling blue (I close my eyes and think of you standing by a pool.. lol), worthless, scared or something like that, I can't even think to listen anything else than Travis. It's amazing how their music courages and comforts when needed.

Some people would listen to something extremely angsty and dark, but I think that's kind of pointless. World would be so much tender place if everyone would just listen to Travis :D And it's not that they don't have any edge, because they do and a lot, but something in Travis makes me almost complete.

lizbeth0619
lizbeth0619 Posted Mon 13 Aug, 2007 9:58 PM Quote
Soulslug wrote:
True. When I'm feeling blue (I close my eyes and think of you standing by a pool.. lol), worthless, scared or something like that, I can't even think to listen anything else than Travis. It's amazing how their music courages and comforts when needed.

Some people would listen to something extremely angsty and dark, but I think that's kind of pointless. World would be so much tender place if everyone would just listen to Travis :D And it's not that they don't have any edge, because they do and a lot, but something in Travis makes me almost complete.

I totally agree!!! I used to get into more of the darker, depressing stuff (like 10 + years ago. ha ha when I was a lost teen) Ever since my first Travis CD I haven't looked back.

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 4:58 PM