Travis

Re: NME long backlash for
weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Wed 08 Aug, 2007 4:16 PM Quote
mingsy_sar wrote:
weirdmominaustin what is the explanation of those lyrics?

I asked Fran after the Austin show about the lyric "birds of a feather are welcome to land on you." I had worked out one interpretation but it was sort of a leap and slightly negative so I didn't think it was right.
He said that first you should generally take their lyrics at face value, the simplest explanation is usually correct. Then he said for that line he was thinking about how the child chooses you (he was meaning in a metaphysical way), and you choose your child and he was imagining two little birds (representing himself and Nora) landing on their baby's shoulders. And, he said, it rhymed. : )

So I think the "it's a sin, it's sin" part is more meant as a light-hearted jab at himself. And, again, it rhymed!

I think it's a lovely image and I definitely feel like my children were destined for me and vice versa so I can relate.

gothichero
gothichero Posted Wed 08 Aug, 2007 4:57 PM Quote
wow... tat review was pure malicious crap... its nothing but jealousy tat the reviewer's favourite band dint do tat good... anyway one little piece of nonsensical review isnt gonna do any damage to travis.

mingsy_sar
mingsy_sar Posted Wed 08 Aug, 2007 9:40 PM Quote
I always thought Fran was a poet at heart...

Nikki
Nikki Posted Thu 09 Aug, 2007 2:30 AM Quote
mingsy_sar wrote:

Yes he is! His lyrics are amazing.

Like yesterday, for example, I listened to "Dear Diary" - a song that I've been skipping for a while to get to "Side" - and realized how beautiful it is. The words really touched me yesterday for some reason.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Thu 09 Aug, 2007 3:15 AM Quote
mingsy_sar wrote:

I think he is a poet period! For me, songwriters that really touch me are poets and musicians. Two-for-one deal.

Meridith
Meridith Posted Thu 09 Aug, 2007 4:23 AM Quote
weirdmominaustin wrote:
mingsy_sar wrote:

I think he is a poet period! For me, songwriters that really touch me are poets and musicians. Two-for-one deal.

I think he is brilliant. :)

mingsy_sar
mingsy_sar Posted Thu 09 Aug, 2007 11:29 AM Quote
Can you imagine NME recognising such artistry? They probably think Shakespeare whenever poetry is mentioned.

Tianyan
Tianyan Posted Thu 09 Aug, 2007 1:03 PM Quote
mingsy_sar wrote:
Can you imagine NME recognising such artistry? They probably think Shakespeare whenever poetry is mentioned.

I think Shakespeare is above them...too lousy for Shakespeare

mayfly
mayfly Posted Thu 09 Aug, 2007 1:15 PM Quote
Please use Enter-key. I feel dizzy reading that.

Anyways NME is a bunch of shit. They only lick Arctic Monkey's asshole and have no brain to write a review more than one paragraph.

mingsy_sar
mingsy_sar Posted Thu 09 Aug, 2007 5:33 PM Quote
I did use the enter key, but it didn't follow through when it was published. I should've used some html. I thought that they'd read it and engage brain when they put it up, but I shouldn't have given them that much credit...

Pages Previous 1 [2] All Times BST Current Time 1:00 AM