Travis

Re: Breaking News: Bridge Collapse in MN, USA
cathyp
cathyp Posted Thu 02 Aug, 2007 5:36 AM Quote
SamuraiSandy wrote:
man, i'm glad you took the other route home too! how close is it to Duncan & Cathy's? I thought I saw their condo bldg on tv, but wasn't sure if it was it...

Yeah that was probably it you saw on the news. If we were on the other side of the building we could have seen it all. It was very surreal around our place. The streets were packed with cars and people. A pedestrian bridge nearby was filled with people trying to take a gander. Eventually the police and University security came by and evacuated the bridge and streets.

Lavena (thomyorkescaresme)
Lavena (thomyorkescaresme) Posted Thu 02 Aug, 2007 5:40 AM Quote
Holy Shit.

My husband used to live right near there.

I always freak out a little whenever I drive over a big bridge for fear of it collapsing. That's a phobia that's not going away anytime soon.

Even here, 3 hours North of Minneapolis, it's all that's been on the television. So unbelievable and horrifying. I've got to force myself to stop watching it so I can go to bed.

My mom called a couple of hours ago from Ohio freaking out and asking why I didn't call her and let her know I was ok. Did I menion I'm 3 hours North of the City? Because I would just randomly be down in Minneapolis in the middle of a work week, mom. I mean, I do go down there a lot, but not that much. Ahhh moms, gotta love 'em.

7 dead now and 20 missing. That doesn't bode well for the casualty figures...

Sanne (nl)
Sanne (nl) Posted Thu 02 Aug, 2007 8:09 AM Quote
Glad you all are ok. Lets hope the majority of people who were on that bridge are ok too.

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Thu 02 Aug, 2007 9:17 AM Quote
All my thoughts go to you fellow friends.
Frederique

minnesotamary
minnesotamary Posted Thu 02 Aug, 2007 2:00 PM Quote
my hubby and i were talking last night--we had just biked there a couple of weekends before and thought how amazing the thin steel beams could support such a massive piece of construction...lo and behold.

a 2001 reported stated that something like this could happen but the 2005 inspection passed. it's a mystery...

my thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families.

wee
wee Posted Thu 02 Aug, 2007 3:32 PM Quote
I'm in Minneapolis, too - I work just a few blocks from the bridge/35W. It's quite surreal. Last night, leaving work right after 5pm (an hour before it happened) I got on 35W at the exact spot - 4th St/Univ. - but heading the other direction - that's all closed today when I drove in. What else is strange is just seeing all the helicopters, news coverage, etc. The lucky thing is where I work the entrance to get on to the highway right there has been closed for construction, so luckily all my co-workers (and everyone else in this immediate area) had been detouring around that bridge most of the summer.

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Thu 02 Aug, 2007 3:45 PM Quote
minnesotamary wrote:
my hubby and i were talking last night--we had just biked there a couple of weekends before and thought how amazing the thin steel beams could support such a massive piece of construction...lo and behold.

a 2001 reported stated that something like this could happen but the 2005 inspection passed. it's a mystery...

my thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families.

that wasn't the bridge we biked over was it? i'm horrible when it comes to remembering streets and stuff. i do remember riding along I35 at one point, but didn't know if that was it.

Pages Previous 1 [2] All Times BST Current Time 11:49 AM