Travis

Re: The cover is better than the original?
ricv64
ricv64 Posted Thu 21 Feb, 2008 5:52 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Always Something There to Remind Me by Naked Eyes wa-haaaay better than the rest. (Sandie Shaw, Dionne Warwick, among others)

Thats worthy of ridicle

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 21 Feb, 2008 6:01 PM Quote
Really? Oh, man, that is one of my top three favorite songs of ALL TIME!! You can ridicule me all you like. I LOVE THAT SONG!!!

My other two all-time faves are Happy Together by The Turtles and The Wanderer by Dion.

cornax
cornax Posted Thu 21 Feb, 2008 6:05 PM Quote
Spirit in the Sky - Doctor and the Medics (Norman Greenbaum)

Mrs. Robinson - The Lemonheads (Simon and Garfunkel) I love Simon and Garfunkel but Mrs. Robinson is one of my least favorite songs of theirs. Lemonheads spice it up a bit.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 21 Feb, 2008 6:10 PM Quote
I LOOOOVE Simon and Garfunkel! LOVE!

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Thu 21 Feb, 2008 6:11 PM Quote
lemonheads version of Luka , too bad Dando is a worthless drunk these days

mili
mili Posted Thu 21 Feb, 2008 6:12 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Ursina wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Ursina wrote:
yeah lol I think it has more to do with my dislike of female singers anyway. There are very very few i actually like

I agree there are ery few female "pop" singers, I like but... Aretha Franklin, Sinead O'Connor, Annie Lennox, Cara Dillon, Karine Polwart, Elizabeth Frazer, Kirsty McColl, Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holliday, Mama Cass all have/had amazing voices.

Dubz

aya true enough you've got a point there Dubz :)

I was actually going to start a thread about this last week. I was playing a tape of an all-female group in the car and my husband asked who gave it to me. He was surprised that I bought it myself because he didn't think I liked female singers. I started thinking about it, and yeah, there aren't too many I like. At least not enough to spend my money on 'em. I was wondering if that was true of anyone else. Guess it is.

I only realised this, when my daughter complained thet I alwas play male artists. I've had my Tori Amos and Kate Bush seasons, and I quite like Husky Rescue, but I prefer highish male voice.

Talking of which, I prefer Something's Gotten Hold Of My Heart by Marc Almond to the original (Gene Pitney)

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Thu 21 Feb, 2008 6:15 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Really? Oh, man, that is one of my top three favorite songs of ALL TIME!! You can ridicule me all you like. I LOVE THAT SONG!!!

My other two all-time faves are Happy Together by The Turtles and The Wanderer by Dion.

Heh , you're Turtleneck and you like the Turtles . Didn't see that one coming

carlottarocks
carlottarocks Posted Thu 21 Feb, 2008 6:24 PM Quote
ricv64 wrote:

Dando has been a worthless drunk for at least 10ish years now, disappointment!

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 21 Feb, 2008 6:25 PM Quote
ricv64 wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Heh , you're Turtleneck and you like the Turtles . Didn't see that one coming

Purely coincidental.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Thu 21 Feb, 2008 6:34 PM Quote
carlottarocks wrote:
ricv64 wrote:

he was suppose to open for Jesus & Mary Chain a few months back but was boooooooted off the bill. The surving members of the MC5 took him on tour and jetisoned him halfway

Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Thu 21 Feb, 2008 6:37 PM Quote
Paul Weller - One Way Road. Miles better than Oasis's version.

carlottarocks
carlottarocks Posted Thu 21 Feb, 2008 6:39 PM Quote
ricv64 wrote:
carlottarocks wrote:
ricv64 wrote:

he was suppose to open for Jesus & Mary Chain a few months back but was boooooooted off the bill. The surving members of the MC5 took him on tour and jetisoned him halfway

That sounds about right. Growing up I was a GINORMOUS fan of The Lemonheads, words can not express how much I loved loved loved them/him whatever. When I last saw them/him back in 98ish, fuzzy on the year, Dumbass was so wasted he couldn't stand and had to watch me and a few others to get the lyrics right on his own damn songs! It pissed me off and was a bit of a reality check that I didn't want, seeing as how I had him on such a pedestal for so long.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Thu 21 Feb, 2008 6:45 PM Quote
saw him open for Beck & Mazzy Star in 96 , whole new line up but calling themselves the Lemonheads . pretty rad show

carlottarocks
carlottarocks Posted Thu 21 Feb, 2008 6:54 PM Quote
I had seen him several times before that ill-fated show and all was well which I guess was another reason I was so let down, siiigghhh. They are re-releasing "It's a Shame About Ray" next month, as bitter as I am, I will probably go for that as that album is probably the one I played the most in my teenage years :)

From the good ol days

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4oyGyaHKkSk

Rhoobarb
Rhoobarb Posted Thu 21 Feb, 2008 6:58 PM Quote
Dando always seemed to be wasted, but the man can write a song or two.

Pages Previous 1...2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Next All Times BST Current Time 5:12 PM