Travis

Should Bands Reunite?
harry potter
harry potter Posted Fri 29 Jun, 2007 3:18 PM Quote
smashing pumpkins, verve, blur, for heaven's sake the spice girls -- all getting back together to either record and/or tour.

is that a good or a bad idea?

i think it's a bad idea. the original spark that brought these people together in the first place, the sheer luck of getting the right people in the right place at the right time to create some great music - that's magical and remains as such (based on the talent at hand of course) for the tenure of the band, creating memories and allowing the original discography to live on forever as it should.

once a bad breaks up, it sucks for the fans that's true. no more new music, but, it's my contention, as time goes by the existing music takes on a place in the collective consicousness of the band's fans - the music gets linked to specific periods in a person's life good/bad.

once a band reaches the end it's done. the magic goes too. how many bands that broke up and decided to get back together again actually produced anything of any worth? you can't bottle the inital "it" that the original band brought along, it's over and should remain as such.

what do you think?

haz
xxx

Re: Should Bands Reunite?
SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Fri 29 Jun, 2007 3:47 PM Quote
I think it's a bad idea too. I agree that the spark goes away, in the break up, and it never really comes back when they unite. I'm sure there's a band or two who've gotten back, and really hit it off--actually, I can't really think of any...

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Fri 29 Jun, 2007 3:49 PM Quote
Radio Birdman reunited last year and are still fucking great , The Soft Boys from a few years back the same . Can't complain at all about the Stooges show I saw . It's hit and miss when a band reunites though .

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Fri 29 Jun, 2007 3:51 PM Quote
It depends...there are good and bad examples of bands reuniting. But it's all about the songs when all said and done. Bands, singers etc can't live simply of their reputation from however many years ago, or at least not for long. If a band kicks back into action with good, creative songs then I'm all for it. Look at Take That for example - they're achieving big success again over here, and I think they've come back with some decent quality pop songs so all credit to them. I just hope the Spice Girls are able to pull some good songs out of the hat for their sake, or they'll just fall flat of their faces within 6 months of them appearing and the fans will be left disappointed.

harry potter
harry potter Posted Fri 29 Jun, 2007 4:19 PM Quote
SamuraiSandy wrote:
I think it's a bad idea too. I agree that the spark goes away, in the break up, and it never really comes back when they unite. I'm sure there's a band or two who've gotten back, and really hit it off--actually, I can't really think of any...

the Verve might be able to do something of worth but that's going to be a huge task given that their last album as Verve 1.0 (i.e. "Urban Hymns" ) was so massively amazing.

harry potter
harry potter Posted Fri 29 Jun, 2007 4:21 PM Quote
ricv64 wrote:
Radio Birdman reunited last year and are still fucking great , The Soft Boys from a few years back the same...

well as long as you and the other radio birdman fanboys are happy that's a good thing i suppose :)

the Soft Boys were formed in 1976 so that's more than a few years ago. anyways these types of bands don't count (the crumbley bands) as they're only getting back together to make a few bob on the oldies circuit.

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Fri 29 Jun, 2007 4:23 PM Quote
harry potter wrote:

the Verve might be able to do something of worth but that's going to be a huge task given that their last album as Verve 1.0 (i.e. "Urban Hymns" ) was so massively amazing.

ooh...i never really listened to their stuff much, although, i'm thinking i should. i think i've missed out on a bunch of really good music...where the hell have i been?

harry potter
harry potter Posted Fri 29 Jun, 2007 4:26 PM Quote
SamuraiSandy wrote:

ooh...i never really listened to their stuff much, although, i'm thinking i should. i think i've missed out on a bunch of really good music...where the hell have i been?

you might like them. i'd highly recommend the Verve's last two albums

A Northern Soul (my personal fave of theirs)
Urban Hymns (cracking Summer Driving album)

it's okay sandy, you were lost but now *dramatic pause*
now you are found.

harry potter
harry potter Posted Fri 29 Jun, 2007 4:30 PM Quote
Typing to Reach You wrote:
It depends...there are good and bad examples of bands reuniting. But it's all about the songs when all said and done. Bands, singers etc can't live simply of their reputation from however many years ago, or at least not for long. If a band kicks back into action with good, creative songs then I'm all for it. Look at Take That for example - they're achieving big success again over here, and I think they've come back with some decent quality pop songs so all credit to them. I just hope the Spice Girls are able to pull some good songs out of the hat for their sake, or they'll just fall flat of their faces within 6 months of them appearing and the fans will be left disappointed.

you raise some good point there Luke, but with the examples of Take That and the Spice Girls, it's not really about them it's about the production/creative teams BEHIND them that's brought new life into the old horse, you know what i mean? i suppose my original viewpoint centered on rock bands, famous acts, that were creative in their initial lineups somewhat having a filtered affect if they get back together after a breakup.

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Fri 29 Jun, 2007 4:54 PM Quote
harry potter wrote:
SamuraiSandy wrote:

now you are found.

why thank you, thank you!
okay, i need lots more suggestions then! what else, what else?

harry potter
harry potter Posted Fri 29 Jun, 2007 4:59 PM Quote
SamuraiSandy wrote:
harry potter wrote:
SamuraiSandy wrote:

now you are found.

why thank you, thank you!
okay, i need lots more suggestions then! what else, what else?

well, we've got the Verve covered, so you're all set there -of course some dweebs (if they read this) will start warbling on about the Verve's first album "A Storm in Heaven" being amazing blah, blah, blah, don't mind them they're talking oot their jacksies (i.e. arses).

if you're in the market for Verve-like overwrought BIG dramatic songs, the following few tracks might fit the bill -

"Over" by Embrace
"Different Man" by Aslan (Irish band, should have been huge)
"Crashing Back to You" by Wire Train
"Lonely Souls" UNKLE featuring Richard Ashcroft (from the Verve)

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Fri 29 Jun, 2007 5:07 PM Quote
harry potter wrote:

well, we've got the Verve covered, so you're all set there -of course some dweebs (if they read this) will start warbling on about the Verve's first album "A Storm in Heaven" being amazing blah, blah, blah, don't mind them they're talking oot their jacksies (i.e. arses).

if you're in the market for Verve-like overwrought BIG dramatic songs, the following few tracks might fit the bill -

"Over" by Embrace
"Different Man" by Aslan (Irish band, should have been huge)
"Crashing Back to You" by Wire Train
"Lonely Souls" UNKLE featuring Richard Ashcroft (from the Verve)

senk yu, senk yu!

jaguar
jaguar Posted Fri 29 Jun, 2007 7:26 PM Quote
well one of my alltime favourite bands have reformed and i`m fortunate enough to be seeing them next week @ T in the park,so i`m hoping that they still have the energy that got me into them the first time around.

The band is James btw

deepi
deepi Posted Fri 29 Jun, 2007 7:35 PM Quote
i suppose it depends on how the band left and who there audiences were back in the day. take for example spice girls, lets face it their biggest fans were 10-15 year olds. those are gonna be 20-25, they ain't gonna want to listen to them anymore (i don't) unless they do something different (but then they wouldn't be the spice girls if they did something decent)
whereas the verve had a more mature fan following so they might be more successful, i sure as heck am excited about them reforming cos they were great and wrote damn good songs

cosmic
cosmic Posted Fri 29 Jun, 2007 7:54 PM Quote
hmm, its all a bit of a 90s revival going on just now ...

worked for Take That, I mean if they hadn't reformed I'd still think they were shit ... I can actually listen to them now cos their older ... lol

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 11:56 AM