Re: Do You Believe In God?
SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Wed 20 Jun, 2007 3:38 PM Quote
YES!

Joe
Joe Posted Wed 20 Jun, 2007 3:38 PM Quote
harry potter wrote:
if only this could be taught to some people i could mention *coughs*bush and co*coughs*

But not just in the West, there's also Ahmadinejad and Co.

harry potter
harry potter Posted Wed 20 Jun, 2007 3:40 PM Quote
Joe wrote:
So if He's unknowable, how can we know he exists? I don't generally go past that thought, as I don't see the point.

HOWEVER, if I did believe, I wouldn't go to Church. My way of thinking is that no mortal can be "qulified" to lecture another mortal on God's will. After all, we beheaded a King for just that type of blasphemy.

that's the thing - it's not a question of "HE" that's putting a mask on it. God isn't a person place or thing. the fact that our brains have the facility to process and argue and think about a higher power means to me anyway that there has to be something more - it's not just, i believe, the arrogance of humans (i.e. we have a brain, we're the smartest thing on the planet therefore we have to go on after death) it's just an article of faith. God is a state of mind - the mind, as a "thing" does exist - do you believe in that i'm wondering?

feri
feri Posted Wed 20 Jun, 2007 3:40 PM Quote
Joe wrote:
I believe the two previous generations of believers shot themselves in the foot. They educated us to be tolerant, but to only accept logical things in life. There is hardly any logical evidence of God existing, so many of us don't believe in it.

Just because *you* think there is no 'logical evidence' doesnt mean that other people think that as well. I think that there is a God. Why? Because living things and our planet, even the solar system...Everything is so detailed and structured.

So just cuz it's not logical to you, it doesn't mean it's not to others.

Joe
Joe Posted Wed 20 Jun, 2007 3:40 PM Quote
Another question: the afterlife. How much is religion based on a need to believe that there's something after your number's up?

Joe
Joe Posted Wed 20 Jun, 2007 3:43 PM Quote
feri wrote:

Just because *you* think there is no 'logical evidence' doesnt mean that other people think that as well. I think that there is a God. Why? Because living things and our planet, even the solar system...Everything is so detailed and structured.

So just cuz it's not logical to you, it doesn't mean it's not to others.

Again, a question of education: the way we're taught to analyse facts determines how we accept them.

harry potter
harry potter Posted Wed 20 Jun, 2007 3:44 PM Quote
Joe wrote:
Another question: the afterlife. How much is religion based on a need to believe that there's something after your number's up?

Organized religion perpetuates that particular strain of nastiness more than any other.

i don't go to church that often. however, there's always a ton of older people in the church every day, doing their bit to ensure a decent result when it's time to meet and greet with Saint Peter at the Pearly Gates.

While organized religion has a purpose at the beginning of a person's life - a helpful tool for parents to teach children the difference between right and wrong, doing good by others and the like, i believe when a kid gets to 18 they should make their own mind up about how their adult belief system will progress.

Joe
Joe Posted Wed 20 Jun, 2007 3:45 PM Quote
Just to clarify. I'm not denouncing belief, I'm just explaining why I haven't drawn any conclusions yet.

Asign of just how deep faith is in our cultural roots; I don't really have faith, but will still say "bloody Hell!" and "Christ!" when something surprises me.

Ursina
Ursina Posted Wed 20 Jun, 2007 3:52 PM Quote
phew you're getting quite heavy here !

for me it's a NO

dee
dee Posted Wed 20 Jun, 2007 4:00 PM Quote
i believe.

ayana
ayana Posted Wed 20 Jun, 2007 4:29 PM Quote
No

But I understand why some people do

nats
nats Posted Wed 20 Jun, 2007 4:30 PM Quote
no, i donĀ“t.

Hanne
Hanne Posted Wed 20 Jun, 2007 4:39 PM Quote
I would have to say yes.

Luis
Luis Posted Wed 20 Jun, 2007 4:50 PM Quote
I believe in:

God (it have thousands of names, but he is the same)

Spirituality (its your specific way to live your life and your own ideas, your beliefs. If you are open, this will evolve through the years, learn from others, discard what you dont feel right, thats the life)

Energy (we r pure energy, our thoughs, our soul, if you are possitive, you will have a great life)

Soul (you ARE not just that body... you know it)

I dont believe in:

Religion (its just the best economic industry in the world, we are all diferents)

Devil (everything is God, where is the Devil?)

God will punish you... you are guilty (God is not human)

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next All Times BST Current Time 7:26 PM