Travis

spotify
weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Sat 23 Jul, 2011 3:48 AM Quote
I just got Spotify (it's new to the US)

Can someone explain to me how exactly I am to use it?

P.S. Yes, I am a lazy American.
P.P.S. While this is true I have been looking at it for 10 minutes and kind of just don't get it.

Re: spotify
Edel
Edel Posted Sat 23 Jul, 2011 11:42 AM Quote
Wendy is probably an expert by now, ask her? ;0) We don't have it here yet

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Sat 23 Jul, 2011 3:46 PM Quote
can ya play yer wreck chords on it ?

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Sat 23 Jul, 2011 4:41 PM Quote
I LOVE Spotify. One of my fav things about living in the UK!

Well, I don't think I use all the options really - I usually go through the 'what's new' section to check new albums. You obviously can search for specific bands, albums, etc. You can upload all the music you have on your computer to the local files section. You can create playlists - mixing the tracks you 'own' and those you only listen to on spotify without downloading them. Do you have the most basic account or the one you need to pay for?

I think Monica and Swede Boy would probably know more about it.

Sunny
Sunny Posted Sat 23 Jul, 2011 8:31 PM Quote
The very basics:

Type in bands name in 'search' - right click to add a song to your playlist, using 'add to'. You can add whole albums by right clicking on the name of the album. I think you have to create a named playlist first but I've had it so long I can't remember how.

In a band's profile the 'related artists' section is pretty useful.

I never import playlists since my dad wiped his whole iPod by doing this, so I haven't dared try!

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Tue 26 Jul, 2011 7:44 PM Quote
I think you've explained the basic very well. It also ha a radio function where you can chose genre etc. One of my favourite functions is that you can search for the most popular tracks for a specific year or even a decade. Try typing "year:1970-1979" in the search field and you'll see what I mean!

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Tue 26 Jul, 2011 7:48 PM Quote
If you activate "Spotify social" you can browse through your facebook friends playlists.

Peewee
Peewee Posted Wed 10 Aug, 2011 11:13 PM Quote
Awe thanks for the mention :) Yeah it's pretty simple...and just as other have mentioned here. It's an awesome way to find music you haven't bought or wouldn't really buy and make fabulous playlists. Ie. I have a mega 80's playlist of a gazillion songs. I dont want to purchase these songs but they are all there in a lil playlist for me to play away to my hearts content. Plus there is a "share" option so if you friends are also registered spotify users they can list to your playlist. Kinda like making a mix tape for someone without actually having to post it :) You can share via twitter/facebook/email etc.

Have fun!

Plus I have came across some cool new stuff and other bizarre stuff. It's all good. Except for the ads...but you don't get rid of them unless you pay and go premium.

hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Thu 11 Aug, 2011 12:01 AM Quote
I've signed up for Spotify too, and I think its pretty awesome! I like how you can listen to an entire song instead of having to buy it like you do on Itunes. I wonder why it took so long to come to the U.S. I also like how you can share your playlists, like Wendy said.

DAKOTA
DAKOTA Posted Fri 12 Aug, 2011 3:35 PM Quote
Okay, is anybody else irritated by the Selena Gomez ad? It's driving me crazy. Not even the Kreyshawn ad annoys me as much, and the Gucci Gucci song is annoying...I'd somehow managed to avoid these noises before Spotify. XD

Anyways, you can find other users by user name too with the search bar: this is me :D >> spotify:user:manicdak

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 12 Aug, 2011 5:11 PM Quote
I have my own version of Spotify. It's called Ric and YouTube!

minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 12 Aug, 2011 7:03 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:

what super awesome person sent you your avatar, Kaytebear?*

*this will be super awesome in 3 years when someone digs up this thread and Kayte's avatar is a La La Lopez, or something

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 12 Aug, 2011 7:06 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

what super awesome person sent you your avatar, Kaytebear?*

*this will be super awesome in 3 years when someone digs up this thread and Kayte's avatar is a La La Lopez, or something

Why, Kristy Minnmess sent it to me, of course!

It will also be funny in 3 years when someone reads this and wonders, "Who is La Lopez?" I have La Lopez on my iPod so she will not be forgotten. Canta, canta, canta...

Peewee
Peewee Posted Tue 13 Dec, 2011 9:56 PM Quote
Anyone know if there is a way to browse people/users on Spotify? So I can subscribe to them or checkout other folks playlists. So far I only come across people via FB or Google+ sharing their playlists etc.

DAKOTA
DAKOTA Posted Wed 14 Dec, 2011 9:11 PM Quote
http://www.spotify.com/us/download/previews/

You can run the preview version. It has some new things like playlist results when you search for things (if you search for Christmas, you get other people's X-mas playlists as results as well as Albums/artists with that in the title) but I don't think you can search by username. (I tried to search for me, but it didn't come up with anything)

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 10:21 AM