arrrrrgh

Re: Musical Legends
ricv64
ricv64 Posted Fri 08 Jul, 2011 4:34 PM Quote
oops

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Sat 09 Jul, 2011 2:15 PM Quote
Please add Bruce Springsteen, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Tom Waits, Neil Young, Led Zeppelin and AC/DC.

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Sat 09 Jul, 2011 2:17 PM Quote
Janis Joplin? Hendrix? Clapton?

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Sat 09 Jul, 2011 2:18 PM Quote
Paul Simon?

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Sat 09 Jul, 2011 2:19 PM Quote
How about Queen? Or Brian May perhaps? Kiss? Jerry Lee Lewis? John Martyn, John Denver, Ray Charles? Marvin Gaye? Stevie Wonder? Elvis Costell? Or even Elvis Presley?

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Sat 09 Jul, 2011 2:22 PM Quote
I think Lou Reed fits everyones description of a real music legend.

Also Knopfler/Dire Straits.

Joan Baez should also be added I think.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Sat 09 Jul, 2011 3:03 PM Quote
holy 900 posts, swede boy.
Are you suggesting that JUST Brian May is a reasonable substitute for Queen? Because you would be wrong.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 09 Jul, 2011 7:21 PM Quote
Please add Bruce Springsteen (Fucking Donkey) living on a reputation attain through no actual musical value and still living on it, the Boss, Yeah Boss fucking Hogg), Deep Purple (Shite, smoke on the water has kept them afloat for the last 30 years), Pink Floyd (Yup), Tom Waits (again I'll give you Tom though not exactly my cup of tea), Neil Young (again yes), Led Zeppelin (undeniable) and AC/DC (Yeah, stick on some shool uniforms and prance around a big stage nobody will notice that the actual music is shit).

Janis Joplin? (you can have) Hendrix? (yeah) Clapton? (the most over rated guitarist in the world, he wasn't even the best guitarist in Cream)

Paul Simon? (two words FUCK right OFF).

How about Queen?(shite stadium rock) Or Brian May (only a bit p[art in the afore mentioned so..) perhaps? Kiss? (theatrics and make up doesn't hide that the actual music was shite) Jerry Lee Lewis? (hmmm, undecided) John Martyn, (absolute fucking legend, no arguements here but can you sing along or dance to him ??) John Denver, Ray Charles? (Hey What I Say !!) Marvin Gaye? (probably as it's more for the american market) Stevie Wonder? (Fantastic but not dead) Elvis Costell? (I still can't make my mind up about Costello...) Or even Elvis Presley? (alredy mentioned)

Knoffler is another fucking cunt, showing off bollix, sometimes it's not what you put in to the music but what you leave out. You wanna hear real guitarists I suggest you listen to Dick Gaughan, Dick Dale, Nick drake, John Martyn (alredy mentioned) but these guys are nowhere near as popular as Knoffler/Clapton so they get totally passed over in favour of what is "fashionable"

Dubz

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Sat 09 Jul, 2011 7:37 PM Quote
Brian May is not a substitute for Queen, that's not what I meant. Bruce Springsteen is the greatest living performer in my opinion and no one can write songs lile Paul Simon, seriously NO ONE. Well you already have S&G there so I won't argue about it. Deep Purple is my favorite rock band and every other song they've written is better than Smoke On The Water, have a listen. Lets not make this about taste, I won't force you to add the musicians I like, as well as I won't force you to remove U2 just because I think Bono is a fuckin' dick.

monkey
monkey Posted Sat 09 Jul, 2011 11:13 PM Quote
[quote="TheBoyWithANameno one can write songs lile Paul Simon, seriously NO ONE. [/quote]

More a Gary Barlow fan myself

Edel
Edel Posted Sun 10 Jul, 2011 12:00 AM Quote
monkey wrote:
[quote="TheBoyWithANameno one can write songs lile Paul Simon, seriously NO ONE.

More a Gary Barlow fan myself [/quote]

lol, and apart from that if we're boiling it down to lyricists then Fran and Morrissey HAVE to be in there?

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sun 10 Jul, 2011 6:44 AM Quote
[quote="TheBoyWithAName] no one can write songs lile Paul Simon, seriously NO ONE. [/quote]

Off the top of my head... as much as I dislike him as a person, John Lennon is a fantastic lyricist, Dylan, Morrissey (as already mentioned), Dick Gaughan, Jimmy Cliff, Melanie, Christy Moore, Ronnie Drew, Tim Booth (James), Johnny Cash all write better lyrics.

And that's before I start mentioning bands that have written great lyrical tracks but are not consistant or are not renowned for their lyrics, Keane, Elbow & Gomez for example are a few the list would be much much longer.

But to state that absolutely NO ONE writes better than Paul Simon is absolutely ludicrous (IMO of course).

Dubz

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sun 10 Jul, 2011 6:50 AM Quote
TheBoyWithAName wrote:
Brian May is not a substitute for Queen, that's not what I meant. Bruce Springsteen is the greatest living performer in my opinion and no one can write songs lile Paul Simon, seriously NO ONE. Well you already have S&G there so I won't argue about it. Deep Purple is my favorite rock band and every other song they've written is better than Smoke On The Water, have a listen. Lets not make this about taste, I won't force you to add the musicians I like, as well as I won't force you to remove U2 just because I think Bono is a fuckin' dick.

Hey I can admit when stuff should be added U2 should be in there even though Bongo as you rightly alluded to is a Fucking Dick.

As for Deep Purple ok which of their 7,000 albums should I listen to, actually it doesn't matter cause I'm sure they all contain the same stuff including the obligatory, self indulgent, showing off guitar/drum solo. It's what is known as A.O.R., Adult Orientated Rock, stuff probably personified by the aforementioned messers Knoffler and Springsteen.

Dubz

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Sun 10 Jul, 2011 12:57 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
[quote="TheBoyWithAName] no one can write songs lile Paul Simon, seriously NO ONE.

Off the top of my head... as much as I dislike him as a person, John Lennon is a fantastic lyricist, Dylan, Morrissey (as already mentioned), Dick Gaughan, Jimmy Cliff, Melanie, Christy Moore, Ronnie Drew, Tim Booth (James), Johnny Cash all write better lyrics.

And that's before I start mentioning bands that have written great lyrical tracks but are not consistant or are not renowned for their lyrics, Keane, Elbow & Gomez for example are a few the list would be much much longer.

But to state that absolutely NO ONE writes better than Paul Simon is absolutely ludicrous (IMO of course).

Dubz [/quote]

Ok, of course these are all great song writers and Dylan is the master of lyrics of course. I must admit that it's Paul Simon's sense for great melodies and hooks that I'm found of. "No one writes songs like Paul Simon", that doesn't mean I think he's the greatest in all aspects, just that he's one of a kind in what he do.

With Deep Purple I think you should start with "Burn" and then move on to "In Rock" or "Come Taste The Band". I'm a huge suckers organs and that's why DP is close to my heart. Obviously there are greater organists around, but the mix of everything is what makes it great.

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 10:10 AM