Travis

Musical Legends
weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Thu 07 Jul, 2011 1:18 AM Quote
Some of you know that I am in a choir. I am now President of the board and am enjoying abusing my power. We have chosen a theme for next year's show and now need to work on picking music. We pick 12 or so songs that everyone sings and dances to and then the group auditions for the other 12 slots numbers they have come up with on their own.

This year's theme is Legends. We want to do songs from musical legends from all genres and generations. There are obvious choices like The Beatles and Elvis but I am looking for other suggestions and also wondering how you would define a legend. For example, should it be artists who had hits for 10+ years? Or artists who have had 10 or more hits? Do they have to be known in more than one generation?

Re: Musical Legends
minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 07 Jul, 2011 4:40 AM Quote
I don't know that there is ever going to be a way of defining it or quantifying it. I think it comes more down to influence, and maybe more importantly, lasting influence. More of..."without this person there never would have been this person." Those who paved the way. Although Im sure in most cases, they were just the person who became the most mainstream and popular, whether they really changed the way or not.
Initial thoughts on legends, whether I personally like them or not (other than the couple you mentioned)...
Diana Ross
Madonna
Johnny Cash
Queen
Bowie
MJ
Nirvana

I'll try to think of more

hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Thu 07 Jul, 2011 5:44 AM Quote
I would add U2, and it would be awesome if you did a RUN DMC song.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 07 Jul, 2011 6:17 AM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
Some of you know that I am in a choir. I am now President of the board and am enjoying abusing my power. We have chosen a theme for next year's show and now need to work on picking music. We pick 12 or so songs that everyone sings and dances to and then the group auditions for the other 12 slots numbers they have come up with on their own.

This year's theme is Legends. We want to do songs from musical legends from all genres and generations. There are obvious choices like The Beatles and Elvis but I am looking for other suggestions and also wondering how you would define a legend. For example, should it be artists who had hits for 10+ years? Or artists who have had 10 or more hits? Do they have to be known in more than one generation?

Unfortunately I think that by definition a Legend has to be dead to be a Legend. Stuff to dance to by dead people...

Bob Marley - Jammin'
T.Rex - We Love to Boogie
Johnny Cash - A Boy Named Sue
The Clash - Should I Stay or Should I Go / Rock the Casbah (IMO the two worst Clash singles ever)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Dubz

Edel
Edel Posted Thu 07 Jul, 2011 11:25 AM Quote
Think I'm with Kristy on the definition. I would have agreed with Dubz if I was asked 5 years ago? I know the term seems overused and abused now so the inbetween bit imo is someone who is dead and remembered and respected for their contribution to music history and ones alive now who will follow their paths? And I guess its a matter of being objective.

monkey
monkey Posted Thu 07 Jul, 2011 11:41 AM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
weirdmom wrote:

Unfortunately I think that by definition a Legend has to be dead to be a Legend. Stuff to dance to by dead people...

Bob Marley - Jammin'
T.Rex - We Love to Boogie
Johnny Cash - A Boy Named Sue
The Clash - Should I Stay or Should I Go / Rock the Casbah (IMO the two worst Clash singles ever)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Dubz

Jacko has to be on there. Despite his many flaws he is one of a very small number of people who deserve the legend tag

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Thu 07 Jul, 2011 2:08 PM Quote
Stevie Ray Vaughn ?? Cold shot ? Wouldn't that take Austin by storm ?

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Thu 07 Jul, 2011 3:09 PM Quote
Thanks for the suggestions. What's hard is that for the big group numbers we need to find choral arrangements that already exist because we can't afford to have someone write one for us. It gets a little easier for the small things to modify it to fit what you want to do.

Here are the artists we've found music for so far:
John Lennon
Frank Sinatra
Garth Brooks
Neil Diamond
The Judds
Madonna
Bob Marley
Johnny Cash
Madonna
Dolly Parton
Elvis
Bon Jovi/Rolling Stones (a mash up)
Bon Jovi
Tina Turner
judy garland/Barbra Striesand (mash up)
U2
Rolling Stones
Rosemary Clooney
Nat King Cole
Simon and Garfunkel
Beatles
Beach Boys
Elvis
Sting
Police
Lionel Richie/Diana Ross
Barry Manilow
Leonard Cohen
Bob Dylan
Journey
Stevie Wonder
Billy Joel

I don't like all of those artists but at this point we're just brainstorming. And we try and appeal to lots of people so there is usually a song or two I'm sort of meh about. I don't necessarily agree that all of those are legends and I agree that the term "legend" is thrown around a fair bit. For this we need to be somewhat liberal with the term to allow for variety but am hoping to come up with some guidelines to make sure what is auditioned for the smaller group numbers doesn't get out of hand.

For example, Britney Spears has had a crap load of hits but in no form or fashion would I consider her a legend. But I can see some people trying to include crap like that. I'd say that is the main reason I want some guidelines.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 07 Jul, 2011 4:05 PM Quote
Don't agree with that entire list, but can't believe I missed the Beach Boys! Ha, Annie, who suggested Journey?

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Thu 07 Jul, 2011 4:19 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
Don't agree with that entire list, but can't believe I missed the Beach Boys! Ha, Annie, who suggested Journey?

I figured one of you would notice that. : )

monkey
monkey Posted Thu 07 Jul, 2011 6:09 PM Quote
http://www.wikinoticia.com/images/cucharasonica/cdn.cucharasonica.com.files.2010.07.Elton-John.jpg
'Elton reacts to list'

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Thu 07 Jul, 2011 8:09 PM Quote
Buddy Holly?

Please please don't mash up Stones with freaking Bon Jovi.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Fri 08 Jul, 2011 12:20 AM Quote
Stevie Ray Vaungh would bring the crowd to their feet , or their knees . COLD SHOT !!!!!!!!!!!

you sure your from Austin ?

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Fri 08 Jul, 2011 12:25 AM Quote
megg_inc wrote:
Buddy Holly?

Please please don't mash up Stones with freaking Bon Jovi.

Megg, I hate to tell you this but...... Glee has already done this.

I know this will probably seal your hatred of Glee but you needed to know.

This was suggested for the girl's number. I personally am campaigning for a Madonna song.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Fri 08 Jul, 2011 12:26 AM Quote
the shah sleeps in lee harveys grave

OK how bout these legends ?

Pages [1] 2 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 7:33 AM