Travis

About accents
mili
mili Posted Sat 04 Jun, 2011 6:35 PM Quote
I got the new Death Cab for Cutie album yesterday. My Yorkshire-born husband likes the music, but is a bit suspicious of the singer's accent, he hears put on Irish in it. He likes true Irish singers (like Shane McGowan, Christy Moore), but dislikes pretenders (like the Waterboys, he says). So my question is, do the Seattle area people have an accent that is related to the Irish one, or has Benjamin Gibbard an accent of his own?

Re: About accents
ricv64
ricv64 Posted Sat 04 Jun, 2011 8:11 PM Quote
Seattle people sound normal .... I don't hear a accent in his voice

look out

minnmess
minnmess Posted Sat 04 Jun, 2011 8:43 PM Quote
Haven't heard the new album, but have never heard an Irish accent in Death Cab before.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 04 Jun, 2011 8:46 PM Quote
Depends on whether it's "Irish" or "Oirish", must admit to getting seriously pissed off listening to some gobshite on Jools, he was from London but sang with a stupid accent, they really were sh!t.

Dubz

eta: Maverick Sabre the same thing annoys about that wee Paolo Nutella wanker

hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Sun 05 Jun, 2011 4:47 AM Quote
ricv64 wrote:
Seattle people sound normal ....

Lol. Maybe all the rain seeps into our skin and makes us sound Irish? ;)

Also, Ben Gibbard grew up and went to school 20 minutes down the road from where I live.

mili
mili Posted Sun 05 Jun, 2011 9:56 AM Quote
minnmess wrote:
Haven't heard the new album, but have never heard an Irish accent in Death Cab before.

It must be in the hubby's ears then :^)

To my non-native ears some North American r's roll a bit like Irish. It's usually quite difficult for a regular Finn with not that much exposure to the language to tell apart Irish, American and Scottish (especially milder accents) by their speech.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Wed 08 Jun, 2011 2:59 PM Quote
Austin accent ?

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Wed 08 Jun, 2011 3:47 PM Quote
ricv64 wrote:

I just heard about that today--didn't know it was in Austin. It's kinda awesome how they played her VM in the theaters. haha!

Peewee
Peewee Posted Wed 08 Jun, 2011 6:26 PM Quote
And there was me thinking this was going to be about new pronounciation videos ;-) I was just talking about this last night! hehe

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Fri 24 Jun, 2011 7:01 AM Quote
ricv64 wrote:

I really love how she contradicts herself. First she claims she was texting, then she was using it as a flashlight, then back to texting.

And anyone who has been to Alamo knows they show an announcement before every show making it super clear that talking, texting, etc. is not tolerated. They say they'll throw you out if you ignore the one warning they'll give you.

Crazy drunk girl.

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 5:23 AM