Travis

Fran + Brandon Flowers - Side
Ana_Smith
Ana_Smith Posted Sat 13 Nov, 2010 3:37 PM Quote
I just died a little inside. Seeing two of my favourite performers on stage, singing together and so happy, and being so far away from where they are playing, well... it makes me wanna cry:

Side at Fox Theatre, Oakland, CA

(People should keep their screaming to a minimum!)

Re: Fran + Brandon Flowers - Side
TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Sat 13 Nov, 2010 3:55 PM Quote
Woooaaah! Great =)

MusicGirl99
MusicGirl99 Posted Sat 13 Nov, 2010 5:40 PM Quote
Didn't get a word of what he said in the beginning.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Sat 13 Nov, 2010 8:16 PM Quote
Holy crap. There isn't much cooler than that right there.
11 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

deebee
deebee Posted Sat 13 Nov, 2010 8:44 PM Quote
haha I agree about the screaming. I was watching this earlier from your link on FB and was just about to ask you to post it on here Ana but you'd already had that bright idea. It's a good vid.

Safe Side
Safe Side Posted Sun 14 Nov, 2010 1:15 PM Quote
cool I wonder why its always Side he does with other bands lol

I Like Brandons way of doing the verse although i dont think the two sining the chours quite goes....still really cool version of the tune and nice to see there mates.

Also Sweet Black Flag Tshirt Fran is rocking i need to get me one of those

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Sun 14 Nov, 2010 2:04 PM Quote
That was great.

But I hate the screaming girls. He was trying to say something. Shut up so you can hear him.

Ana_Smith
Ana_Smith Posted Sun 14 Nov, 2010 7:39 PM Quote
deebee wrote:
haha I agree about the screaming. I was watching this earlier from your link on FB and was just about to ask you to post it on here Ana but you'd already had that bright idea. It's a good vid.

I know I've been a little absent from the board lately, but this was worth sharing ;)

@Nikki I hope you get to see this duo sharing the stage at the same time!!

They played Side because Brandon and Dave (The Killers' guitarist) were fans of Travis and decided to make a cover during an open mic night, way back when they weren't a band yet. So, there's the reason why.
That being said, they could've been singing Happy Birthday and it wouldn't have made any difference to me, haha, just to see them like that is priceless :)

With regards to the screaming girls, I know that they must have been really excited, but show some respect and listen to what the guy has to say!! So annoying...

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Sun 14 Nov, 2010 10:55 PM Quote
Ana_Smith wrote:

They played Side because Brandon and Dave (The Killers' guitarist) were fans of Travis and decided to make a cover during an open mic night, way back when they weren't a band yet. So, there's the reason why.

Thank you for that. I heard him say "coffee shop" and I didn't know if it was because he and Fran had played some tunes in a coffee shop (like earlier in the day or something) or what.

See that is interesting and if those girls would STOP SCREAMING we could all learn a little tidbit.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Mon 15 Nov, 2010 2:20 AM Quote
There was a protest over a police killing that night . I wonder if they saw any of that ?

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 15 Nov, 2010 2:08 PM Quote
Woah, all the screaming. lol

Nice video, thanks for posting Ana. :)

neo1011
neo1011 Posted Wed 17 Nov, 2010 1:39 PM Quote
Nice to great quality YouTube video. I despise The Killers; too much hype blah blah blah - on top of having an evil band name that you'd be too shameful to tell your grandma you support...but Mr Flowers (a weird pretentious surname by my inklings) DOES SING with authority & a bit of style/class/skill here.

I doubt Fran doing this will win Travis fans as the bands are opposites. Travis are softer melodic, & when they get loud Oasis grunge like in sound - it's done a CLEAR heaven sent way. The Killers do that loud noisy messy sound ALL the time & their melodies drown to the depths of murky hell i.e. you can't sing to their songs done in a wannabe The Doors fashion.

Take it as you will & I've had a rough month - but I'm ready for Fran to perhaps get angry with me like he did recently about promotions on another thread. Yes, I haven't listened to a lot of The Killers - but the fact remains they don't have any classic sing-a-long anthems like Travis's Why Does It...Somebody Told Me sounds like a b-grade The Doors tribute band.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Wed 17 Nov, 2010 2:01 PM Quote
A lot of people here like The Killers, so there's a good chance fans of The Killers will like Fran or Travis.

And as for sing-along anthems: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZTpLvsYYHw Brilliant.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Wed 17 Nov, 2010 4:39 PM Quote
Neo, I think you just stated your opinion as a true and solid fact, when it's actually a very subjective matter. I'm a Travis fan and I'm way more into The Killers than Oasis, for example. In Argentina and Chile The Killers and Travis played together in 2007, and many fans of TK got into Travis thanks to those gigs.
I think TK do have wonderful melodies. (All this coming from a person who didn't like TK's show in 2007... they came after Travis, so that probably didn't help :oP).

Ana_Smith
Ana_Smith Posted Wed 17 Nov, 2010 9:57 PM Quote
neo1011 wrote:
Nice to great quality YouTube video. I despise The Killers; too much hype blah blah blah - on top of having an evil band name that you'd be too shameful to tell your grandma you support...but Mr Flowers (a weird pretentious surname by my inklings) DOES SING with authority & a bit of style/class/skill here.

I doubt Fran doing this will win Travis fans as the bands are opposites. Travis are softer melodic, & when they get loud Oasis grunge like in sound - it's done a CLEAR heaven sent way. The Killers do that loud noisy messy sound ALL the time & their melodies drown to the depths of murky hell i.e. you can't sing to their songs done in a wannabe The Doors fashion.

Take it as you will & I've had a rough month - but I'm ready for Fran to perhaps get angry with me like he did recently about promotions on another thread. Yes, I haven't listened to a lot of The Killers - but the fact remains they don't have any classic sing-a-long anthems like Travis's Why Does It...Somebody Told Me sounds like a b-grade The Doors tribute band.

I differ. It's an opinion and therefore, as Juli says, subjective. I like Travis and The Killers (they came along at two different times of my life, but now they co-exist) and I wouldn't say they are complete opposites. One day I get up and feel like listening to TK, the next day I may feel like listening to nothing other than Travis. So, what? Am I being incoherent?

I think that you should check out Day & Age and Flamingo before saying that they (The Killers/Brandon Flowers) only make "loud, noisy and messy sound."

Exhibit A: I Can't Stay - Royal Albert Hall

And, of course, two different versions of what I consider their classic "sing-along anthem":
When You Were Young - T In The Park
When You Were Young - Abbey Road

(I'm not going to discuss the name of the band or the surname of the singer, it's pointless. All I'm going to say is that my grandma hums some of their tunes, ha!).

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 9:16 PM