Travis

Re: WRECKORDER First listen - thoughts?!
Meridith
Meridith Posted Fri 01 Oct, 2010 11:41 PM Quote
jesusaremus wrote:
Meridith wrote:
jesusaremus wrote:
wow! you live in the US right? from what website did you buy it? recordstore or the other? and ig you bought it from the other did you get an email with your shipping day or something? by the way congratulations! you have it now! :)

Yep, I live in the US. We pre-ordered it from the link on Fran's website. It shipped from New York. My husband is the one who ordered it for us but he did tell me he got an email maybe 4 days before it arrived that the cd was on the way.

wow! great! i bought it there too. the bundle, but haven't recieved any email yet :( and i'm worried they do it like recordtore. They cancelled it because a trouble with my bank, but i bought the bundle with another card. already wrote to tha site, i hope they answer me soon, 'cuase i don't know anything.

Hope you get your bundle soon!

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sat 02 Oct, 2010 1:28 AM Quote
Wreckorder is GREAT!!! The only song I'm not crazy about is As It Comes. It doesn't really fit in my opinion, but it's ok. Definitely my least favourite. I love all the others. Quite literally. :) Sing Me To Sleep, Anything, Buttercups, Rocking Chair and Moonshine are early (very early) favourites. Also think In The Morning is a great start to the album, and I wonder why Sierra Leone is 'wasted' as a bonus track. Great song.

Some songs are unlike anything Fran has done before. Amazing production too. It's THE best Travis/Fran sounding album. By that I mean all the music and sounds swirling round in your ears. :) I love all the little touches in the songs. Definitely an album for headphones! :)

Fran's vocals are better than EVER I think. He sounds so great. So relaxed and effortless.

I love Wreckorder!

milos
milos Posted Sat 02 Oct, 2010 10:10 AM Quote
I really like the album. My favourites, at the moment, are In the Morning, As It Comes and Holiday. I agree about the production, the albums sounds great. Still, I feel like there's something missing (probably the rest of the band :D) and I can't get as excited about the songs as i do with Travis albums. But the songs are really really good and I think the album is even better than I expected it to be. It shows just what an awesome songwriter Fran is!

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 03 Oct, 2010 3:22 AM Quote
I love this album. I can't truly judge it until I've had it for a lot longer but I think it's the best since The Invisible Band. Can't decide on a favourite song, but my least favourites are As It Comes and Holiday which were 2 of the 3 I'd heard before getting the album. The songs are just so much better than the songs on Ode and more interesting and exciting than the songs on The Boy With No Name. :) Can't wait to hear what Travis come up with with album 7, because Fran is on top form! :)

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Sun 03 Oct, 2010 2:08 PM Quote
Fly in My Ointment has grown on me hugely to the point where it's one of my faves - has some of the most interesting lyrics and I just love it as a song. Moonshine has grown on me too, I think I just expected a slightly darker/deeper album closer but it's great the way it is.

Only one I just don't get is As It Comes. I do wonder if this would still be on the album but for the Paul McCartney link. It's not bad, it's just.....dull.

milos
milos Posted Sun 03 Oct, 2010 2:35 PM Quote
I can't really rate Wreckorder against Travis albums. I guess because it isn't one. :D Neil's drum sound, Andy's guitar work and Dougie's bass lines are, at least for me, almost as important as Fran's songwriting. But Wreckorder is a great collection of songs and it shows that Fran is still growing and developing as a songwriter which i think will benefit the band too when it comes to recording the next album. :)

Sarah-
Sarah- Posted Sun 03 Oct, 2010 6:24 PM Quote
milos wrote:
I can't really rate Wreckorder against Travis albums. I guess because it isn't one. :D

same here ;) for me it isn't "competing" (in need of a better word) with any of the travis albums, i kinda see wreckorder in a different light.

deebee
deebee Posted Sun 03 Oct, 2010 6:41 PM Quote
I'm not bowled over by the melody on As It Comes but the lyrics are absolutely wonderful. I think I will grow to love this song in time.

Sing Me To Sleep and Anything remain the "stars" of the show so far for me and Rocking Chair is fast creeping up the charts the more I hear it lol.

mili
mili Posted Sun 03 Oct, 2010 10:43 PM Quote
deebee wrote:
I'm not bowled over by the melody on As It Comes but the lyrics are absolutely wonderful. I think I will grow to love this song in time.

Sing Me To Sleep and Anything remain the "stars" of the show so far for me and Rocking Chair is fast creeping up the charts the more I hear it lol.

It's possible that As It Comes works better acoustic. I've listened to the acoustic version for some time and love it, it takes some time to get used to the McCartney version.

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Mon 04 Oct, 2010 5:48 PM Quote
I now own Wreckorder. :) However I had to ask behind the counter for it in HMV because it wasn't on display, in either Manchester store! Poor show HMV.

hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Mon 04 Oct, 2010 5:55 PM Quote
mili wrote:
deebee wrote:

It's possible that As It Comes works better acoustic. I've listened to the acoustic version for some time and love it, it takes some time to get used to the McCartney version.

I totally agree with you Mili. I prefer the acoustic version of As It Comes.

happy_to_hang_around
happy_to_hang_around Posted Mon 04 Oct, 2010 9:02 PM Quote
I haven't received my cd yet but I've already heard the album versions of Sing Me To Sleep,Buttercups,As It Comes and of course Holiday.I'm listening to the rest of the album now and my favourites are:

In The Morning
Sing Me To Sleep
Moonshine
Fly in the Ointment.

Safe Side wrote:
Also i wonder if it was written at night as just about every song mentions sleeping or night or the moon.

I was wondering the same thing.

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Tue 05 Oct, 2010 12:41 AM Quote
I totally love the production of this album, the sounds and everything. It has some "grand" songs, beautiful songs, cool songs, groovy songs... Yeah perfect mix! I really wish that the next Travis album is going to be this good, they should include more strings in their songs!

After about 5 listens I can say that I already love these songs:

In The Morning
Anything
Fly In The Ointment
Buttercups
Rocking Chair(THIS IS AWESOME)
Holiday

mili
mili Posted Tue 05 Oct, 2010 6:48 AM Quote
happy_to_hang_around wrote:
I haven't received my cd yet but I've already heard the album versions of Sing Me To Sleep,Buttercups,As It Comes and of course Holiday.I'm listening to the rest of the album now and my favourites are:

In The Morning
Sing Me To Sleep
Moonshine
Fly in the Ointment.

Safe Side wrote:
Also i wonder if it was written at night as just about every song mentions sleeping or night or the moon.

I was wondering the same thing.

It works the best when listened at night :^)

Beat Poet
Beat Poet Posted Tue 05 Oct, 2010 8:17 PM Quote
I think it's good, way better than that polished turd PFAYM by the Manics! There are a few indulgent, bleh moments (In The Morning, Shadow Boxing) but on the whole, it's good. I have to say though, it's badly missing the charm of Travis, but it isn't Travis.

Pages Previous 1 2 [3] 4 Next All Times BST Current Time 5:10 AM