Travis

WRECKORDER First listen - thoughts?!
Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 28 Sep, 2010 4:37 AM Quote
So remember earlier today when I said I'd hold out until I had the album in my hands? Yeah...that didn't last!!! HAHA. I caved. :) So here are my thoughts after the first listen...

Fran...I LOVE IT!!!! It has an obvious Travisy sound, but different...quieter and more intimate. And I agree with what Kristy wrote on Facebook, this seems like an album that is better on record. It sounded great with headphones on. I really tried to concentrate on all the different instruments. The music kinda swirls around in your head and Fran's voice is perfection. If I could choose one word to describe this album it'd be dreamy.

The songs that stand out the most after one listen are:
"In The Morning" - LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!!!! This should have been the first single, IMO. ;)
"Holiday"
"Anything"
"Sing Me To Sleep"
"As It Comes"
(in that order)

I also really liked "Rocking Chair". The others are really good, too. :) I'm gonna listen again right now! Sorry, this is the worst review ever...especially coming from a journalist. LOL. I probably sound like I'm 12 right now. I'm just really excited.

I guess the only thing missing from this album is that rock edge that Travis has. But that's not really the point of the album, so it's OK that it's not there. However, you can totally tell Andy is playing guitar on "Holiday"...nice work, sir. It adds a lot to the song.

So, yeah, I am in love with Wreckorder. What do the rest of you think?

Re: WRECKORDER First listen - thoughts?!
Meridith
Meridith Posted Tue 28 Sep, 2010 5:25 AM Quote
I'm am in love with it too! So far my favorites are Sing Me to Sleep, Anything, As it Comes, and Rocking Chair. I love it all but those are the ones that stand out to me right now.

I really, really love how Fran's and Neko Case's voices blend together on Sing Me to Sleep. The style seems so different for Fran but I totally dig it!

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 28 Sep, 2010 5:30 AM Quote
"Rocking Chair" sounds very American, doesn't it? Like folk music. Especially the violin or fiddle or whatever that is. Very different from Travis, but I like it a lot. It's like Civil War-ish. Haha. The lyrics are beautiful as well.

jesusaremus
jesusaremus Posted Tue 28 Sep, 2010 5:37 AM Quote
haha! i feel great (but bad at the same time) that i'm still holding! i'm resisting. I'm dying to hear it!. I found some surprises todays, some people i follow on Twitter, for reasons non Travis related, today published "listening Wreckorder" (they liked it!) some friends tried to give me the download link, and today the streaming, i'm feeling like "no! it's over i'm going to listen right now!" But at the same time i want to feel that emotion when someone in my home will say "Hey! something arrived for you!" I promise i will go for it like a thunder. Besides, it's my early birthday present (3 months earlier haha) so i must enjoy it more than anything! (not the song, 'cause i'm really sure it will be my favourite ;) ).
Nice review, can't wait to hear it! really!!!
So hold your hand up the ones who still resisting until next week! I'll start! haha.

deebee
deebee Posted Tue 28 Sep, 2010 8:18 AM Quote
haha Nikki, that review did make me laugh. You're allowed to be excited though......

I'm listening now. For me, the stand out ones are
Sing Me To Sleep (I agree about the 2 voices being very complimentary),
Anything (I love the strings on this)
Holiday (I've liked since the first time I heard it ages ago)
I love the flow of the whole album and the variety of sounds in each song. Definately thumbs up!!!

Ursina
Ursina Posted Tue 28 Sep, 2010 8:56 AM Quote
jesusaremus wrote:
haha! i feel great (but bad at the same time) that i'm still holding! i'm resisting. I'm dying to hear it!. I found some surprises todays, some people i follow on Twitter, for reasons non Travis related, today published "listening Wreckorder" (they liked it!) some friends tried to give me the download link, and today the streaming, i'm feeling like "no! it's over i'm going to listen right now!" But at the same time i want to feel that emotion when someone in my home will say "Hey! something arrived for you!" I promise i will go for it like a thunder. Besides, it's my early birthday present (3 months earlier haha) so i must enjoy it more than anything! (not the song, 'cause i'm really sure it will be my favourite ;) ).
Nice review, can't wait to hear it! really!!!
So hold your hand up the ones who still resisting until next week! I'll start! haha.

I am ! but simply 'cos I don't have the time to listen to it at the moment..... that might change though hehehe

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Tue 28 Sep, 2010 10:27 AM Quote
Same here Jesus. I'm holding out until my own copy arrives on Monday. In fact, possibly it'll arrive on Saturday. I'm not tempted to listen online just because I enjoy the experience of listening to the CD so I definitely won't listen before it comes. Nothing against anyone who has though. I was listening to all the Ode tracks 8 months before it came out. So I'm doing things differently this time. I've only heard Sing Me To Sleep, Holiday and Buttercups and I LOVE all 3. Sing Me To Sleep being my favourite of those 3. I heard As It Comes on the Frandy tour and wasn't a massive fan, but maybe the album version will change that. :) Heard great things about Anything. Looking forward to hearing it.

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Tue 28 Sep, 2010 2:15 PM Quote
Buttercups and Anything are the stand-out tracks for me right now, best Fran Healy songs in yeeeeeeeeears!

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Tue 28 Sep, 2010 2:51 PM Quote
Really enjoying the album, for me it's the best since 12 Memories, maybe TIB. Love Anything (seems a popular one) and Shadow Boxing (doesn't seem as popular!) aaaand, well, most of them really. Love the folky vibes, the strings, the piano's etc through the album. Holiday is my least favourite (sorry Nikki lol, it seems that's one of your favs).

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 28 Sep, 2010 4:14 PM Quote
In the Morning is my early favourite, and I love Neko Case on Sing Me to Sleep!
Nikki, I love love love the violin/fiddles on Rocking Chair! So good.
And Buttercups is growing on me. Not that I ever disliked it, but now that I *know* it I have a greater appreciation. I can't wait until I know the whole album and can give me full out thoughts and impressions on it.

It's a really good recorded album. The production is amazing. It was great hearing bits of it live in the Frandy and Fran solo tours, but it has an even deeper richness in the recorded version.

I said to Sandy that Fran's voice sounds both powerful and very haunting.

Well done, Mr Healy.

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Tue 28 Sep, 2010 4:57 PM Quote
I'm very found of the strings on this album, it's something I've missed a bit on Travis albums.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Tue 28 Sep, 2010 4:59 PM Quote
Only heard 3 of them as I've said, but I have to agree with the production comments. Best sounding album since 12 Memories, easily. Though I still have 7 to listen to, it sounds as if some of those are peoples favourites. :)

Monica
Monica Posted Tue 28 Sep, 2010 7:05 PM Quote
Haven't listened to the album yet and I won't until I own the CD (no idea when that'll be though).

Meridith
Meridith Posted Tue 28 Sep, 2010 8:32 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
Same here Jesus. I'm holding out until my own copy arrives on Monday. In fact, possibly it'll arrive on Saturday. I'm not tempted to listen online just because I enjoy the experience of listening to the CD so I definitely won't listen before it comes. Nothing against anyone who has though. I was listening to all the Ode tracks 8 months before it came out. So I'm doing things differently this time. I've only heard Sing Me To Sleep, Holiday and Buttercups and I LOVE all 3. Sing Me To Sleep being my favourite of those 3. I heard As It Comes on the Frandy tour and wasn't a massive fan, but maybe the album version will change that. :) Heard great things about Anything. Looking forward to hearing it.

Ben- I liked As it Comes alright hearing it live, but when I heard it on the album version I have to say I love it soooo much more. I think live you miss little nuances of it but it is brilliant on the album!

Meridith
Meridith Posted Tue 28 Sep, 2010 8:34 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
"Rocking Chair" sounds very American, doesn't it? Like folk music. Especially the violin or fiddle or whatever that is. Very different from Travis, but I like it a lot. It's like Civil War-ish. Haha. The lyrics are beautiful as well.

Yes, I agree! It rocks! hehehe

Pages [1] 2 3 4 Next All Times BST Current Time 9:22 AM