Travis

Re: WRECKORDER First listen - thoughts?!
SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Tue 28 Sep, 2010 9:08 PM Quote
I think my favs. are Anything & Sing me to Sleep.

But, I really like In the Morning, Anything and Rocking Chair too. Fran's voices is so smooth, yet powerful, and I really like the drumming in In the morning. I like the strings in Rocking Chair. Cello, is it?

81 Posted Tue 28 Sep, 2010 10:26 PM Quote
I think it's a good album

Sarah-
Sarah- Posted Tue 28 Sep, 2010 10:32 PM Quote
i'm rubbish when it comes to reviews, so i won't even attempt to write one ;)

let me just say that i'm really impressed with the album, i'm loving it to bits. "in the morning" is such a great opener and one of my favs in general. i think "anything" is such a beautiful song, same goes for "sing me to sleep" and "shadow boxing". i really like "moonshine" as well as it is catchy as hell [ha, that rhymes! ;D]

so yeah... brilliant album, i can't stop listening. i hope to hear these songs live soon. that would be fab.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Tue 28 Sep, 2010 10:57 PM Quote
Meridith wrote:
Ben- I liked As it Comes alright hearing it live, but when I heard it on the album version I have to say I love it soooo much more. I think live you miss little nuances of it but it is brilliant on the album!

That's a good point. I'm looking forward to hearing it. Fran's been playing these songs on just one acoustic guitar. Lovely, but a lot different than the album versions - of what I've heard. :)

jesusaremus
jesusaremus Posted Tue 28 Sep, 2010 11:10 PM Quote
by the way, i listened "robot" 'cause it's not going to be on the occidental album, so i heard it. I have to say i like it! it's very catchy, funny, weird, etc.

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Wed 29 Sep, 2010 6:53 PM Quote
Holding out this time..... I know its going to be epic so want it full on .Will be better than Christmas Day! :)

mili
mili Posted Thu 30 Sep, 2010 2:11 PM Quote
My current favourites are Anything, In the Morning, Sing Me to Sleep and Rocking Chair. I also found my personal jukebox playing Fly in the Ointment.

Buttercups, Holiday and As it Comes are in the back seat, perhaps because they are so familiar by now.

Anyway, I'm enjoying this very much.

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Thu 30 Sep, 2010 6:59 PM Quote
I love it. I think the return of the kinda low key intimacy from The Man Who is something I never quite expected back from a Travis album or a Fran solo project, but sitting listening to some of these songs I get exactly the same feeling I got listening to Driftwood, As You Are or Slide Show in '99 - made me quite wistfully remember how when those songs came out I was so young, hearing them on the radio and how I dunno, almost mystical they became to me because I didn't initially have access to a CD, much less to the internet like now! When I got the CD my head almost exploded. Here was a band so different from anything else out there, a band I could properly relate to, blah blah blah.

That's what kinda disappointed me about the last three Travis albums. Some really good songs along the way but somehow the magic was gone - I put it down to getting older I think rather than the music itself, but I dunno now.

Because this is just amazing. In the Morning - love it, great piano great lyrics great opener, but it's when 'Anything' kicks in that I'm suddenly 14 again listening to The Man Who - what a perfectly crafted, beautiful song. Going through I absolutely adore Fly in My Ointment, Sing Me To Sleep, Buttercups, Holiday and Rocking Chair. Brilliant stuff.

The only ones that don't do much for me are As It Comes (sorry, just don't get it, it sounds like a b-side to me, no clout at all) and to a lesser extent Moonshine. But you can't expect to like every single song.

Oasisbobo
Oasisbobo Posted Thu 30 Sep, 2010 8:23 PM Quote
Wreckorder is amazing!! It has something special about it. The first 3 songs "In The Morning" , "Anything" and "Sing Me To Sleep" are all amazing beautiful melodies and lyrics. I think Fran's lyrics are getting better. "Buttercups" , "As It Comes" and "Holiday" are amazing songs also. Six single worth songs right there. I really like the different styles on this album. I hope Fran has alot of success with this album :)

Meridith
Meridith Posted Thu 30 Sep, 2010 11:36 PM Quote
I got my signed cd in the mail today. Yay! I think my initial favorites are still my favorites. Man, I love this album!

jesusaremus
jesusaremus Posted Thu 30 Sep, 2010 11:39 PM Quote
wow! you live in the US right? from what website did you buy it? recordstore or the other? and ig you bought it from the other did you get an email with your shipping day or something? by the way congratulations! you have it now! :)

SunWuKung
SunWuKung Posted Fri 01 Oct, 2010 2:44 PM Quote
I cannot get "anything" out of my head :) This is the best song I've heard this year. Brilliant!. But I like all of them..

Anything
Buttercups
In the morning

Safe Side
Safe Side Posted Fri 01 Oct, 2010 4:27 PM Quote
The only thing i would say after a few more listens is that that some of the lyrics are a tad simple and generic i dont feel as connected to them as i do to earlyer Travis songs As It Comes and Sing Me To Sleep are brilliant in this respect but somthing like In the Morning is just a bit meh lyrically.....although i really like it as a song.

Also i wonder if it was written at night as just about every song mentions sleeping or night or the moon.

Meridith
Meridith Posted Fri 01 Oct, 2010 10:19 PM Quote
jesusaremus wrote:
wow! you live in the US right? from what website did you buy it? recordstore or the other? and ig you bought it from the other did you get an email with your shipping day or something? by the way congratulations! you have it now! :)

Yep, I live in the US. We pre-ordered it from the link on Fran's website. It shipped from New York. My husband is the one who ordered it for us but he did tell me he got an email maybe 4 days before it arrived that the cd was on the way.

jesusaremus
jesusaremus Posted Fri 01 Oct, 2010 10:39 PM Quote
Meridith wrote:
jesusaremus wrote:

Yep, I live in the US. We pre-ordered it from the link on Fran's website. It shipped from New York. My husband is the one who ordered it for us but he did tell me he got an email maybe 4 days before it arrived that the cd was on the way.

wow! great! i bought it there too. the bundle, but haven't recieved any email yet :( and i'm worried they do it like recordtore. They cancelled it because a trouble with my bank, but i bought the bundle with another card. already wrote to tha site, i hope they answer me soon, 'cuase i don't know anything.

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 4 Next All Times BST Current Time 1:46 PM