Travis

Foods that come from Denmark...
moo_the_evil_boffin
moo_the_evil_boffin Posted Wed 08 Sep, 2010 8:48 PM Quote
So I was cleaning out the Cupboard of Doom (the cupboard under the stairs which used to have teetering piles of boxes) the other day and came across my elder sister's old school workbooks (from the 1980s). Her geography one had an intriguing item in there; my sister had to list foods that come from Denmark. Most of her answers seemed reasonable - cheese, bacon, beer (not sure that's a food but what the hell), and so on. One answer was hilarious: 'Cornish pasties'. I would have thought that the clue as to the origins of the Cornish pasty would be in the name. Ahh I love my sister!

Anyone else been looking in old workbooks/diaries etc.?

Re: Foods that come from Denmark...
Edel
Edel Posted Wed 08 Sep, 2010 9:29 PM Quote
Funnily enough, danish pastries aren't originally danish and are called 'Vienna bread' (direct translation) in Denmark;0)

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 09 Sep, 2010 3:44 PM Quote
Edel wrote:
Funnily enough, danish pastries aren't originally danish and are called 'Vienna bread' (direct translation) in Denmark;0)
English Caps - French Letters?

Absy
Absy Posted Thu 09 Sep, 2010 6:59 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Edel wrote:
English Caps - French Letters?

Préservatifs !

Harmony1206
Harmony1206 Posted Wed 22 Sep, 2010 10:35 AM Quote
Wienerbröd in Swedish ;-)

Edel wrote:

mili
mili Posted Wed 22 Sep, 2010 11:09 AM Quote
Harmony1206 wrote:
Wienerbröd in Swedish ;-)

Edel wrote:

And "viineri" in Finnish, srtraight from Swedish, I guess, all suggesting Austrian origin.

mili
mili Posted Mon 27 Sep, 2010 9:48 AM Quote
Anyone from Boston? Do you have a special cake?

Here in Finland we have a bun cake called "Boston cake", which is cinnamon buns baked together in a cake tin. There are variations with the filling.

http://kotiliesi.fi/s/f/ruokaohje/e300x300_128425-bostonkakku.jpg

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 28 Sep, 2010 2:40 AM Quote
mili wrote:
Anyone from Boston? Do you have a special cake?

Here in Finland we have a bun cake called "Boston cake", which is cinnamon buns baked together in a cake tin. There are variations with the filling.

I think we'd just call that a coffee cake. Coffee cake is named such because it is served with coffee, not because it has coffee in it. This was confusing to me as a kid. There is no coffee in coffee cake. There is a variation of this called Monkey Bread. It does not contain monkeys.

There is something called a Boston cream pie, but obviously, it's a pie.

fenchurch
fenchurch Posted Tue 28 Sep, 2010 4:20 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:

I think we'd just call that a coffee cake. Coffee cake is named such because it is served with coffee, not because it has coffee in it. This was confusing to me as a kid. There is no coffee in coffee cake. There is a variation of this called Monkey Bread. It does not contain monkeys.

There is something called a Boston cream pie, but obviously, it's a pie.

What, you don't have real coffee-flavoured coffee cake? It's the best cake in the world.

Actually though, I know what you mean, my dad loves these cheese-cake things that are actually cupcakes with icing on top. I have no idea why they are called cheese-cakes, you don't even eat them with cheese!

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 28 Sep, 2010 4:59 PM Quote
fenchurch wrote:

What, you don't have real coffee-flavoured coffee cake? It's the best cake in the world.

Actually though, I know what you mean, my dad loves these cheese-cake things that are actually cupcakes with icing on top. I have no idea why they are called cheese-cakes, you don't even eat them with cheese!

We have cheese cake. It has cream cheese in it. They're quite yummy. I've never had a cream cheese cupcake before, though.

mili
mili Posted Tue 28 Sep, 2010 6:14 PM Quote
We have coffee cakes, too, often sponge cake like, but baked in a form. Flavours vary from English style Christmas cake to lemon, chocolate, coffee, banana, you name it.

http://valohoito.com/files/2007/12/luum-puolkakkujpg.jpg

This is apparently plum-lingonberry (wtf??)

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 28 Sep, 2010 7:55 PM Quote
We have something called Vienna Sausage. It comes in a can surrounded by some sort of gelatinous stuff. You don't have to cook them if you don't want to, you can just rinse them off and eat. I'm pretty sure they don't come from Vienna. (Interesting side note, if you go to the southern US, they pronounce Vienna "Vi-ainny.")

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQBww6yx_NdDtZsBtu8Jr9LfxUIk-R6ZhHad9mVtms7z1UrPhQ&t=1&usg=__U6RMcVgoZRoVtiDMW-gagnHEAzc=

fenchurch
fenchurch Posted Tue 28 Sep, 2010 10:15 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
We have cheese cake. It has cream cheese in it. They're quite yummy. I've never had a cream cheese cupcake before, though.

Yeah we have than too, which is what I always think they are talking about and then I'm presented with these cupcake things. It's very upsetting.

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 12:25 PM