Travis

Band names
Nikki
Nikki Posted Wed 16 Jun, 2010 4:52 PM Quote
My brother and two of his best friends have been playing in a band together for some time now. They're actually really good and are working on an album. However, they haven't been able to come up with a band name. The other day, they finally came up with something quite clever that all of them could agree on. It's "Neighbors May" -- they are all neighbors and their birthdays are all in May, but at the same time it sounds like the beginning of a sentence. I like it. I told my bro that it reminded me of "The Man Who" ...kind of like an unanswered question. Neighbors may...what? Hehe.

So, my question is, if you had a band, what would you name it? And what actual band names have you always loved/ thought sounded cool? You don't have to actually like the band, just the name. ;)

- If I had a band I'd name it The Invisible Band as a nod to Travis.
- I really like the band names Fleet Foxes and Velvet Underground

Your turn! :)

Re: Band names
minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 16 Jun, 2010 5:15 PM Quote
I used to have a running list of random things people would say that I thought sounded like awesome band names. The only one I can think of at the moment is Some Sorta Sleeve.

I just liked the alliteration. They would have to be super emo though.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Wed 16 Jun, 2010 5:29 PM Quote
On the flipside, there are so many horrible band names. I get annoyed when a band has a name that's like a sentence long. Two or three words is plenty. Like the indie band We Were Promised Jetpacks. Really? couldn't you just be called Jetpacks? Or The Jetpacks? My brother was telling me about some band called And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead. "Hey guys, what band are you going to see tonight?" "That new band And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead!" You're out of breath after saying that! Not cool.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 16 Jun, 2010 5:30 PM Quote
What type of music do they play? That might help us.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Wed 16 Jun, 2010 5:38 PM Quote
Who? My brother? It's like indie/alt. rock, I guess. But they've already got a name. I was just asking about what you would call YOUR band if you had one.

PS: I vetoed the name Ten Pounds Of Fresh Fruit. It was an early contender for my bro's band. Neighbors May is much nicer. lol.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 16 Jun, 2010 5:45 PM Quote
Or there are hipster bands who make their names so complicated you dont know how to prounounce them.

Nikki, your brother's band needs to add a "u" :)

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Wed 16 Jun, 2010 5:58 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
I get annoyed when a band has a name that's like a sentence long. Two or three words is plenty.

I love long names of bands! My favourites include:
The Pains of Being Pure at Heart
Suburban Kids With Biblical Names
Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin

But my fav band name is The Floor Is Made of Lava. Pure awesomeness. And the band is really good, too.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 16 Jun, 2010 6:24 PM Quote
I like the Mad Lib method of making up a band name. One person picks a random adjective, one person picks a random noun and put them together. Sort of like the penny t-shirts on iCarly. Yes, I watch iCarly. I like iCarly.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Wed 16 Jun, 2010 6:33 PM Quote
megg_inc wrote:
Nikki wrote:
I get annoyed when a band has a name that's like a sentence long. Two or three words is plenty.

I love long names of bands! My favourites include:
The Pains of Being Pure at Heart
Suburban Kids With Biblical Names
Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin

But my fav band name is The Floor Is Made of Lava. Pure awesomeness. And the band is really good, too.

And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of The Dead.

Dubz

fenchurch
fenchurch Posted Wed 16 Jun, 2010 7:44 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Yes, I watch iCarly. I like iCarly.

Finally, someone else who admits this!

I've never been able to think of what I'd call my own band, but it'd probably be after one of my favourite books, like The Temporary or something. I like Modest Mouse because they got the name from a Virginia Woolf short story. I've never actually listened to their music though, butI think I'd probably like them.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Wed 16 Jun, 2010 8:12 PM Quote
Ringo deathstar , i love that name

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 16 Jun, 2010 8:14 PM Quote
How about Sunburn Pale?

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 16 Jun, 2010 8:23 PM Quote
fenchurch wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:
Yes, I watch iCarly. I like iCarly.

Finally, someone else who admits this!

It's all for real, I'm tellin' you just how I feel!

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Wed 16 Jun, 2010 10:06 PM Quote
A few of my favourites include:-

The Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band
Death by Milkfloat
Gaye Bikers on Acid
Ned's Atomic Dustbin
Sheep On Drugs
The Screaming Blue Messiahs
Pop Will Eat Itself

Dubz