Travis

Re: Fun Games
Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 03 May, 2010 9:53 PM Quote
Kristy wrote:
knock a door run

great fun when you're about ten.

The name we had for this in the US is so politically incorrect that it can't even be said anymore. I wonder what kids call it now.

hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Mon 03 May, 2010 10:10 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Kristy wrote:
knock a door run

The name we had for this in the US is so politically incorrect that it can't even be said anymore. I wonder what kids call it now.

Before I saw this post Kayte, I was trying to remember what we called it. Now I remember :|

monkey
monkey Posted Mon 03 May, 2010 10:38 PM Quote
so what did ou call it?. we called it chap door run (chappy)

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Mon 03 May, 2010 11:01 PM Quote
hennypenny wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:
Kristy wrote:
knock a door run

Before I saw this post Kayte, I was trying to remember what we called it. Now I remember :|

Oh, I don't know what you guys are talking about. Could someone please explain this?

I used to play hide and seek (escondidas) and sardines(sardina enlatada) too.
I used to play "mancha" (spot?). There were different types of mancha. It basically consisted in lots of kids running around. One kid is the mancha and he/she has to catch another kid. When he/she touches another kid, this other kid becomes the mancha, and everyone tries to run away from him.
My favourite mancha was "mancha pulpo" (octopus' spot??) also known as "mancha araƱa" (spider spot??). Basically all the kids lay on the floor on their bellies grabbing eachother's arms and legs forming some kind of human spiderweb. Then the kid who is the mancha has to try to break the web, pulling from the legs of the kids of the outer part of the human web. Kids who let go then become manchas too and have to help the original mancha. It ends when only two kids remain holding hands lying on the floor. It's awesome. :oP
Another favourite is "cuarto oscuro" (dark room), it's like hide and seek but everyone has to hide in a dark room, and a person has to find everyone else in the dark.
"Cigarrillo 43" (Cigarette 43) consists in one person covering his/her eyes against a wall and a bunch of kids standing against the opposite wall. The person says "1, 2, 3, cigarrillo 43!" and while he/she says this, all the kids run as much as they can, trying to reach the opposite wall, where the former kid is standing. The thing is, the kid tries to say the words as quickly as possible, and then turns around. And when he/she turns around, everyone else must freeze on the spot: if they move, they lose. The first one to reach the opposite wall wins.

And we have a very popular card game that (nearly) every Argentinian learns to play when we're kids and still play when we grow up: truco.

fenchurch
fenchurch Posted Mon 03 May, 2010 11:38 PM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:
hennypenny wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:
Kristy wrote:
knock a door run

Oh, I don't know what you guys are talking about. Could someone please explain this?

Yeah, I'm intrigued...

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 04 May, 2010 12:33 AM Quote
In response to the above: It's not really a game...more of a dare. You knock on someone's door and then run away. I'm not sure I should say it on the board, because of its offensiveness, but it was called n----- knocking. Think of an offensive term for black people. I doubt kids today call it that nowadays.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 04 May, 2010 1:32 AM Quote
ugh. error_1

I dont know what your name is. Ours is Nikki Nikki Nine Doors. I have no idea what that means. Is it somehow offensive and I dont know. Have I offended Nikki?

How, look at this whole list of names
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knock,_Knock,_Ginger

Admittedly, Bell-fast and "Ring the Bell and Run like Hell" are the funniest.

hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Tue 04 May, 2010 1:37 AM Quote
Anyone else play Red Rover?

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 04 May, 2010 1:42 AM Quote
hennypenny wrote:

loved Red Rover. It would get violent at my school. hurt arms! I think it eventually got banned at my school, lol

hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Tue 04 May, 2010 4:56 AM Quote
minnmess wrote:
hennypenny wrote:

loved Red Rover. It would get violent at my school. hurt arms! I think it eventually got banned at my school, lol

I know. Once you were older it was dangerous. People would just let the person run through.

Meridith
Meridith Posted Tue 04 May, 2010 6:42 AM Quote
hennypenny wrote:

We did! Man, I had the wind knocked out of me sometimes. Also played Freeze Tag, Red Light, Green Light. We also played Kick Soccer which was pretty much like baseball except we used a soccer ball and kicked it.

Meridith
Meridith Posted Tue 04 May, 2010 6:46 AM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
In response to the above: It's not really a game...more of a dare. You knock on someone's door and then run away. I'm not sure I should say it on the board, because of its offensiveness, but it was called n----- knocking. Think of an offensive term for black people. I doubt kids today call it that nowadays.

See, I've never even heard of this term. We called it doorbell ditching and we didn't knock, we rang the doorbell. I looked it up on that wikipedia link though and right next to doorbell ditching it said Western US which fits for where I am.

mili
mili Posted Tue 04 May, 2010 7:32 AM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:
[
"Cigarrillo 43" (Cigarette 43) consists in one person covering his/her eyes against a wall and a bunch of kids standing against the opposite wall. The person says "1, 2, 3, cigarrillo 43!" and while he/she says this, all the kids run as much as they can, trying to reach the opposite wall, where the former kid is standing. The thing is, the kid tries to say the words as quickly as possible, and then turns around. And when he/she turns around, everyone else must freeze on the spot: if they move, they lose. The first one to reach the opposite wall wins.

We had a game like this, but I've forgotten what we called it, maybe it was mirror? In our version you had to touch the turning person's back to win. Also, the turner didn't say anything, just turned suddenly. If you moved, you had to go back to the starting point.

We also had a sledging race down a steep hill with some trees, first one down was the winner, pushing and shoving accepted. It ended for good when one girl broke her arm. The same group built two snow castles and had a snowball fight between them.

Another popular game at birthday parties etc is "Water in the shoe", where half of the people go to another room and decide on a pair for themselves from the remaining half. Then the people that are out of the room come in one by one and bow to one of the people inside to see, if she/he is her/his pair. If yes, he/she can stay, if not, he/she is told that she/he has water in her/his shoe and must hop out in one foot and the next person can come in. This is repeated until everybody has found a pair. Sometimes people use props to "protect" them when bowing, umbrellas, wellies, woolly socks etc, not that it helps, but adds to the fun.

hennypenny
hennypenny Posted Tue 04 May, 2010 7:34 AM Quote
Meridith wrote:
hennypenny wrote:

We did! Man, I had the wind knocked out of me sometimes. Also played Freeze Tag, Red Light, Green Light. We also played Kick Soccer which was pretty much like baseball except we used a soccer ball and kicked it.

Oh I forgot about Red Light, Green Light! And we had all kinds of different tag games. Kick Soccer was Kick Ball for us. I miss being a kid :(

monkey
monkey Posted Tue 04 May, 2010 7:36 AM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:

wow, that's pretty shocking

We also had this game called "chappy excuse" where you would knock on someones door and then give them a BS reason as to why you were there. One of the classics was to say your puppy had run into their back garden and could they help you find it lol. If someone was to help you would try and have them shout out the dogs name so your friends who were hiding could get a good laugh. A friend of mine once got an elderly couple to shout "schwarzenegger"

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 12:54 AM